What's new

What did you hone today?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Testing out a huge hunk of Nakayama goodness, 210x80x43mm, an ounce short of 4 pounds of it. I wanted a razor that wouldn't be limited and chose a Rugby from my friend Jeremy. Awesome shave though the stone is not flat and still has some grind marks in the surface. I was honing on a spot about 2x5" to miss the stamps just in case.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1749.jpg
    $IMG_1749.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 118
Blonde horn Wade and Butcher full wedge, 7/8.
First successful wedge honing - man it took a long time to set the bevel, over an hour on the chosera 1k.
Then coticule for another half an hour with dilutions, then for the fun of it I tried a Yellow/Green Thuri slurry on a hard coticule, then an apache strata to finish. Ready for a shave later tonight!

One more razor today. This one is a Towa frameback that had been rescaled in an unidentified wood.
Honed on a Synthetic progression and finished on Jade and Agates.
$Honed.jpg

GD honed on....

Well you know what I honed it on....

Attachments

• $buffalo hone.jpg
    $buffalo hone.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 93
  • $buffalo.jpg
    $buffalo.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 93

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Sometimes things just get out of hand.
I started honing about an hour ago with a clean table and a C1k and somehow it led to this. And the bad thing is I'm still not happy with the edge...

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 76
While my girls were watching the frog prince, I managed to hone 2 Japanese blades.
Bevel set on DMT 600 and King 1K.

Like for the French blades I did earlier this week, I used a synthetic progression from King 1K to Shapton 16K and finished on Agates.
$Honed.jpg$Honed.jpg

Steve56

Playing with an old eBay razor, shaves well but a good bit of wear and a little frown that's hard to see toward the toe, so it doen't hone well on a wide hone. Rather than brute force it out and wear the blade even further, I grabbed a narrow hone, a little chocolate Nakayama. Poifect!

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1757.jpg
    $IMG_1757.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 106
Steve, do you hone for hire or do you just have a library of razors and stones to rival the size of the Smithsonian?! :thumbup:

Steve56

I would if anyone wanted, but mostly I have a modest hone collection! In all fairness though, a few i picture are trials and I don't own them or keep them. And most are well under bench size!

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom