What's new

What did you do about your mouse problem?

Thanksgiving 2007 we found ourselves literally overrun by mice - it was real shock to us - we tried several different kinds of snap traps which never worked. We then resorted to live capture traps which worked very well but left us with live mice (and it didn't feel very sporting to kill them once I'd caught them). So we went out and bought the plug in ultrasonic deterrents and they work perfectly! The package says it'll take several days to get rid of the mice, but we didn't see anymore mice the moment we plugged these in - you can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot or probably anyplace. Ours were made by Victor and cost $20 for three units.

Got a cat, but she's pretty much useless...

You need Laser Cat.

proxy.php

One time one of the cats chased a rat into my room, unbeknownst to me. I know now because of the interest the cat had under some furniture, right before he bolted from the room. I went to bed, and in the dark I thought I saw something scurry across the floor in the darkness. I hopped up and hit the lights, opening the door, searching around. Nothing. I finally went to sleep, then to work the next morning. When I got home, there was rat crap throughout the room, all over a lot of things, including my bedding. I was displeased by this. I closed the door and chambered a BB. And dumped a few drinkin' buddies into the air rifle for him. I picked up everything that could possibly be hidden under, and all that left was the hide-a-bed I was sleeping on at the time. As I started to move it I could hear scratching and what sounded like something moving. I stopped still, and began pumping the air rifle. I got 5 or 6 before the rat poked it's head from between the wall and the bed, then promptly took a BB to the head. It tried to make a break for it, and I bayoneted it with the muzzle, then gave him a quick warrior's death with another shot at point-blank, this time with all 10 pumps. So, you could do that. J/K.

Definitely seal up the access points, then go with the capture method you prefer. I can't stand those little things. We had a wire running up through a cupboard that they always climbed down, until I sealed up the hole with foil. I guess they don't like chewing on it, either, because it held for years, until we moved out. The snap traps worked for us. I used everything from hard candies to semi-sweet morsels. Never tried PB, though.

I have always wanted to build my ultimate mouse/rat trap.
Never had any mice or rats though.

It's a fairly simple trap.

Get a square foot of metal screen, like what goes over windows.
Some insulated copper wire, single strand.
A length of exposed copper wire.
A 1 farad capacitor from a car audio system.

Wire one terminal to the screen using the insulated wire.
Wire the other terminal up in an arc, directly over the center of the grid, about 2 inches for mice, 3-4 for rats.
Bait the exposed copper wire with a glob of peanut butter.

Charge the capacitor, and wait for the POP of exploding mouse parts.:thumbup1:
Mouse reaches up to PB, completes circuit, capacitor dumps a boatload of current through the mouse.

One possible modification, a clear plastic bowl suspended by the bait wire, to capture any flying debris.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Here's my update. Bought some snap traps and put them around the rear wall of the house on the outside. Nothing! Will leave them another night and then move them indoors. Wish I could just find a dropping or three, a hair rub a footprint anything that would give me a clue as to where to place them. Got the caulk loaded in the gun and ready to seal away. Oh, also put some clove and peppermint EO on cotton balls and put them in the attic. This is supposed to be a natural repellent and maybe so. No sounds or evidence at all for over 24 hours. Second thought, I'll just go on a crack and plumbing access point caulking spree. If they get sealed inside the house and die there..... well, I've got lot's of incense.:001_smile

Third thought. A clove/sandalwood shave soap wouldn't be half bad. I'm obsessed, I know.

No ignorance, you got it. Usually snakes. Also some feed them to their centipedes.

People also feed them to tarantulas, scorpions , frogs, lizards, and fish(Pacu and Oscars)

And, a side note. F*** those centipedes(the mice eating ones). Not a bug phobe, but I see one of them on the floor, it's gonna be shot with whatever I have handy .45acp/12 gauge.

A few years back, I had a terrible mouse problem. I think my cat at the time was partying with them; he sure never caught any. I was moaning about it at work one day and the foreman of one of my crews said I could borrow his skunk for a week. I did not believe him but three days later, there were no mice and the skunk started eating the cat's food.

Fast forward to 2009. I had more mice in the back yard and garage, mostly because I hung up a bird feeder. One morning, I saw a little black and white tail disappearing under the wood box. He (I think, I haven't looked that close) has become very friendly, coming out in the mornings to say hello and get a treat. He has been a busy boy, too; there are no more mice. I have just completed his entrance into a den box in the garage, so he will stay around this winter.

Regards,

- John

People also feed them to tarantulas, scorpions , frogs, lizards, and fish(Pacu and Oscars)

And, a side note. F*** those centipedes(the mice eating ones). Not a bug phobe, but I see one of them on the floor, it's gonna be shot with whatever I have handy .45acp/12 gauge.

Do they also feed these breeder mice to cats?

Wire the other terminal up in an arc, directly over the center of the grid, about 2 inches for mice, 3-4 for rats.

Mouse reaches up to PB, completes circuit, capacitor dumps a boatload of current through the mouse.

One possible modification, a clear plastic bowl suspended by the bait wire, to capture any flying debris.

1 farad :lol:.

A little much don't you think? Otherwise that sounds like a nice trap :w00t:.

A few years back, I had a terrible mouse problem. I think my cat at the time was partying with them; he sure never caught any. I was moaning about it at work one day and the foreman of one of my crews said I could borrow his skunk for a week. I did not believe him but three days later, there were no mice and the skunk started eating the cat's food.

Fast forward to 2009. I had more mice in the back yard and garage, mostly because I hung up a bird feeder. One morning, I saw a little black and white tail disappearing under the wood box. He (I think, I haven't looked that close) has become very friendly, coming out in the mornings to say hello and get a treat. He has been a busy boy, too; there are no more mice. I have just completed his entrance into a den box in the garage, so he will stay around this winter.

Regards,

- John

While we're on the subject of Cat alternatives, how about A BADGER!!!:w00t:.

1 farad?!?! What are you? Insane? That'll either vaporize the little bugger or ignite him! :lol:

While we're on the subject of Cat alternatives, how about A BADGER!!!:w00t:.

We want to drive rats out of the house, not people. So no badgers. :001_tongu

I built a house on an 800 acre ranch, and, when we moved in, there were literally 15-20 mice in the walls/attic. We got them all with the sticky traps. I found them mostly coming out around plumbing openings. Put a trap right under where the pipes come out of the wall, and you'll get rid of them pretty quickly I'd quess!

1 farad :lol:.

A little much don't you think? Otherwise that sounds like a nice trap :w00t:.

Anything worth doing, is worth going completely overkill on.:biggrin:

When I was younger I asked Dad about the measuring units for capacitance (microfarads, picofarads) then asked "well, what's 1 farad?" He said "Well, if you short a 1-farad capacitor, you'll be blown 1 foot off the ground; 2 farads, maybe two feet off the ground..." (he made it clear it was a joke).

And the trap is a great example of adherence to the old Hot Rodders Axiom: "too much is just right."

Top Bottom