What's new

What cream feels most luxurious?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That looks intriguing, how do you break the block into smaller pieces?

Easy as pie.

I cut it with a kitchen knife, but a butter knife would be fine for the job.

VitosRed.Box.Sticker-on-End.Coco.5-1-20.480.JPG

I wrap each of my about 12 pieces in that Press N Seal stuff which is so easy to use. All are put inside a freezer bag with as much air removed as I can easily get out, folding it just so. The bag is in the top of my closet.

When I need a piece I take one out of the closet, press it into a flat shape (like biscuit dough) and leave it in the open air of the bedroom on a shelf for a week or so to get rid of the marzipan scent (which I don't like). The remaining scent is a very faint coconut which I like, but hardly notice.

12-18-20.timeless.Cal's.CH2Silvertip.Vitos.640.JPG

I then press the stuff into my tub using my thumbs. It is soft like putty, but not a cream by any means.

It's all extremely easy to do.

Great soap in my view. I use it almost every day. Vitos Red with Cocco is the soap for me. I have tons of other soaps, but use this one!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Easy as pie.

I cut it with a kitchen knife, but a butter knife would be fine for the job.
I wrap each of my about 12 pieces in that Press N Seal stuff which is so easy to use. All are put inside a freezer bag with as much air removed as I can easily get out, folding it just so. The bag is in the top of my closet.

Excellent, thanks very much. That certainly is a reasonable price even with higher shipping costs.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
there’s an interview from Mr Andrew French, MD of Castle Forbes on a Canadian website. Here’s a couple of good quotes:

“Most important was a high concentration of essential oils, which a generic shaving cream base would not support. We crafted a base that would perform the way we wanted and would be capable of supporting such a high concentration of essential oils. While most companies modify their scent to match the base, we did it the other way around. For this reason, we have crafted a unique cream base for each scent to ensure that each one performs identically

“Well, originally, we thought we would have to modify the fragrance to suit our base. We were unable to get consistency of the 1445 scent and, therefore, were unhappy with the result. With time, we mastered the ability to modify our cream base, and that allowed the chemistry to work with 1445 in its true form.”

Thanks for posting this. I can understand the need to have the same performance across the line of creams they make. I understand the bold bit in bold above to mean the Lime cream performs exactly the same as the Lavender. Seeing as I didnt find the Lime performance that good on my skin, from that I would assume the Lavender would perform the same and it wouldnt suit my skin either. Thats logical, but I'm not always logical lol.

A different base might affect my skin differently so it might perform better or, it might not lol. Either way I have three tubs of CRS to work through before I think about trying a new cream.

Surprised no one mentioned Castle Forbes. Let me do it then: Castle Forbes Lavender is wonderful. I’m a soap guy, but I’m on my second tub of CF. The word that comes to my mind every time I use is “silky”

I also own Limes, which is very good but I prefer the Lavender version.

I'm also on my second tub of Castle Forbes Lavender. I bought the first one in June of 2014 and liked it so much that I bought a backup a month later. With hindsight, the backup purchase was unnecessarily hasty, but hey, we all live and learn. In any case, the first tub is done and dusted, and the backup still delivers beautifully in-your-face lavender shaves. In addition to Castle Forbes Lavender, Truefitt & Hill 1805 and Ultimate Comfort are also on my top cream shelf, and with very honorable mention. So my top three are

1. CF Lavender
  2. T&H 1805
  3. T&H Ultimate Comfort

Beyond that, I had already bought a jar of Castle Forbes 1445, which is on its way, and - based on comments in this thread by other members - three Cyril R Salter creams are now on my radar - French Vetiver, Wild Rose, and Indian Sandalwood. My thanks go out to the CRS fans; you know who you are. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My thanks go out to the CRS fans; you know who you are. :)

I had my CRS Vetiver in the mail yesterday and just shaved with it.

When I popped the lid I could barely smell anything, just a very faint aroma of...something. Lathered, its a whole new ball game.

o5loaqyxltk21.jpg

Get right down in there, lift the leaves and inhale deeply. It was instantly familiar to me. I've been a hunter all my life and I've smelled the very same scent a thousand times. Its not a strong scent, which is good. It seems faint but faint isnt the right word. Fleeting is a more apt word. It lingers too. I get a whiff now and then like that scent is being carried on a very light breeze. I love it.

Performance is typical CRS, although it seems a bit more slick and rich than my Rose or Sandalwood.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I had my CRS Vetiver in the mail yesterday and just shaved with it.

When I popped the lid I could barely smell anything, just a very faint aroma of...something. Lathered, its a whole new ball game.

View attachment 1202219

Get right down in there, lift the leaves and inhale deeply. It was instantly familiar to me. I've been a hunter all my life and I've smelled the very same scent a thousand times. Its not a strong scent, which is good. It seems faint but faint isnt the right word. Fleeting is a more apt word. It lingers too. I get a whiff now and then like that scent is being carried on a very light breeze. I love it.

Performance is typical CRS, although it seems a bit more slick and rich than my Rose or Sandalwood.

Nicely done, Mike.

Happy New Year,

Jim

+1 for Cyril R. Salter. All around excellent!

La Toja and Speick are great.

PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu has awesome post-shave feel.

YMMV
Very close to my list.

I would put the PannaCrema Nuavia Blu at the top.
Bought myself a jar for Christmas and the scent is intoxicating! Very slick as well, just needs a little encouragement to get the lather going.
IMG_20201228_172436.jpg

(the razor was also a Christmas present)

My list of creams would be

1 PannaCrema Nuavia Blu
2 Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood
3 Proraso Single Blade Wood & Spice.

TOBS Coconut "Luxury Shaving Cream" it even has the word Luxury in it!
Today I ended with too much lather so I've decided to just put it all on my head :shaving:

Can't feel more luxurious than that! Pure Coconut goodness and lather overflow!

I tried CF Lime for a few shaves. The scent was okay, very bright and a bit sharp but a true Lime I think. I found the performance lacking however. I dont think its a good match for my skin.
I had a similar experience with CF Lime and ended up selling it after a few shaves.

So far all the creams I've used are just those cheap generic ones. Nothing fancy at all.

But if I have to rate the best, I'll pick godrej menthol.

Top Bottom