What's new

What Brown leaf 'good stuff' are you waiting on to be delivered?

I'm looking with lust at a couple of billiards on Blue Room Briars. Is that a good seller?

I can't find "Pipe Club" on eBay, but I see more than a few sellers who specialize in older pipes at very reasonable prices.

Deadman's pipes has some really nice quality pipes with honest descriptions. He's getting up there with Pipestud though, where the auctions end up a bit higher than some other sellers. Treasure Pipes is good too.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm looking with lust at a couple of billiards on Blue Room Briars. Is that a good seller?

I can't find "Pipe Club" on eBay, but I see more than a few sellers who specialize in older pipes at very reasonable prices.
seller:pipeclub

I don’t know how to send a link from eBay. See if this works. He sells new pipes as well

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks, all, I did find him by accident. Yes, excellent choices -- too many for my simple childlike mind to comprehend!
He is fond of much neglected pipes. I’ve gotten a few very good ones for very little. You can also text him and tell him what you are looking for. He has hundreds. I’m going to go up the hills and pay him a visit and pick up a pipe he is holding for me in a couple of weeks.

He is fond of much neglected pipes. I’ve gotten a few very good ones for very little. You can also text him and tell him what you are looking for. He has hundreds. I’m going to go up the hills and pay him a visit and pick up a pipe he is holding for me in a couple of weeks.
That's just it. There are so many choices of pipes (his and others'), shapes and army mounts and stems and sizes and finishes, it's hard to narrow down! Perhaps if I winnow my collection, turn some of the ones I don't care for any more in to SP for store credit, I'll see what kind of gaps I would like to fill. At the moment I'm thinking straight billiards and pots, but that could change.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That's just it. There are so many choices of pipes (his and others'), shapes and army mounts and stems and sizes and finishes, it's hard to narrow down! Perhaps if I winnow my collection, turn some of the ones I don't care for any more in to SP for store credit, I'll see what kind of gaps I would like to fill. At the moment I'm thinking straight billiards and pots, but that could change.

I didn't have a clue what I wanted until I started buying and trying some.

The price I'm willing to pay stripped away the majority of the overwhelming choice, and then discovering I only wanted sitters narrowed it down a great deal more. Once I decided I wanted smaller pipes (but still sitters), I had to open the wallet a little wider than originally intended, but I arrived at an array I'm currently very happy with.

That sequence of zoning in on what's right for me, cheap pipes smoking really well, pipes that fall over being extremely annoying, and wanting to load less tobacco for the bulk of the smokes, only came clear through trial and error. As did my choice of shapes, ergonomics, needing line of sight to the chamber for ease of lighting, and how I allocate pipes to blend types.

In a way, it's more a matter of discovering what doesn't work for you and stripping out all the pipes that fall in that range of parameters... or at least, it was for me.

At the moment, it's more the esthetics of the given pipe for me. Do I like looking at it? Does it make me smile, if I own it, when I pick it up?

ETA: This one made me say, "Beautiful pipe!" when I looked at it. Plus it's an acrylic stem with a nickel trim ring, and reasonably priced to boot. So I bought it:

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
At the moment, it's more the esthetics of the given pipe for me. Do I like looking at it? Does it make me smile, if I own it, when I pick it up?

ETA: This one made me say, "Beautiful pipe!" when I looked at it. Plus it's an acrylic stem with a nickel trim ring, and reasonably priced to boot. So I bought it:
Beautiful.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

If it's a Danish Stanwell, then it's among the very best factory pipes out there. A few old Stanwells are entrenched in my rotation as among my very favorite smokers. Everything perfectly spot on and flawlessly finished ... and boy can they burn tobacco right. Just superb pipes.

Their only quibble, compared to say an Italian or some Germans, is that the Danish bowls are of a slightly more petite proportion. Closer to a finer London-made. Imagine a Grabow that went to high finishing school. And that's a great thing.

If it's a Danish Stanwell, then it's among the very best factory pipes out there. A few old Stanwells are entrenched in my rotation as among my very favorite smokers. Everything perfectly spot on and flawlessly finished ... and boy can they burn tobacco right. Just superb pipes.

Their only quibble, compared to say an Italian or some Germans, is that the Danish bowls are of a slightly more petite proportion. Closer to a finer London-made. Imagine a Grabow that went to high finishing school. And that's a great thing.
Sounds perfect for my smoking nowadays. I don't want a bowl I can go camping in!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
One of my favorite stripped down no-nonsense blends. Just good ole' fashioned leaf. Sometimes you just want a good dose of vitamin N.
I a pouch of Drum cigarette tobacco today and found it to be a pleasant pipe smoke. Finer shag than FB but more moist so the burn is about the same.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
16oz of both OJK Blue Label and Haunted Bookshop
4 tins of Grousemoor
1 tub of Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic

I think I have a problem. Is TAD a thing? I’m going to have to leave my tobacco to my kids because unless I really increase the frequency of my smoking this stuff will last well after I’m dead.

Top Bottom