What's new

What Brown leaf 'good stuff' are you waiting on to be delivered?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
16oz of both OJK Blue Label and Haunted Bookshop
4 tins of Grousemoor
1 tub of Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic

I think I have a problem. Is TAD a thing? I’m going to have to leave my tobacco to my kids because unless I really increase the frequency of my smoking this stuff will last well after I’m dead.
"...Is TAD a thing" 😳 😬

My estate straight billiard from Blue Room Briars is on track to arrive by Saturday! Woo-hoo!

Unfortunately, not knowing if the package would fit in my home mailbox, I had it sent to my work . . . so it will sit at the mail room until Monday. Cancel the woo-hoo. But that will give me longer to decide which tobacco to smoke in it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Personally, I think acquisition disorders are largely fuelled by fear of missing out. Especially with products which are only available sporadically. I have no interest in living in fear, or entertaining fear derived life choices. There's also a competitive element of keeping up with the Jones's. Something else I have no time for.

If something isn't available when I want to stock up, I'll buy something else. Why waste time chasing after something that might not be available later if you like it? If the supply of something is erratic, it won't win my business. Find something enjoyable that's readily available is my answer. Plus, if I already have enough (which I have, according to my own definition) why worry whether it's in stock of not?

I wanted a five year stash of aged tobacco, to top up with fresh as and when needed. I've comfortably achieved that, allowing for fluctuations in consumption rate, but haven't doubled it. I can now sit back and just pick stuff to smoke fresh, or replace each year's tins as they get smoked, to maintain that ageing buffer. That said, I have that much stuff in samples and pouches, I might not need to open a tin this year at all.

Anything else I buy now, is money spent on something that I can't get enjoyment from for way too long. if I spend money on something, I want to get value from it now, not just hope I live long enough to enjoy it later. Where's the fun in that? It's like buying a train ticket ten years in advance. Yes, it will be cheaper now than it will then, but in ten years time, I might not want to go where it's heading. There's no money saved in buying something you don't use, and no value had if it's not what you want when you do use it.

If however, you specifically like trying to buy a huge pile of tobacco, just to gaze at lovingly, then feel free to ignore everything I've just said :biggrin1:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I think for me it’s more about trying everything I can before I die. Granted I probably didn’t need to buy 16oz of a certain blend, but if I don’t like (and even if I do) it I’ll give it away so others can enjoy it too. That being said I do like collecting things. My bar has about 80 bottles of whisky that I’ve collected over the last 20yrs and don’t get my wife started on the amount of shaving gear I have. Will I use/drink/smoke it all before I die? Maybe, maybe not but I’ll have a lot of fun trying to.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That’s a really good post you just made, @AimlessWanderer, and I thank you for taking the time to to do it. It really made me ponder my acquisition rate relative to my (modest) consumption rate, and you gave me a lot to think about. Thank you!

(From the guy who just bought 10 more tins an hour ago, and a box of cigars last week also. Sigh...)

Thanks @RazorbackFan . For me, 10 x 50g tins, is around an 18 month stockpile. It didn't take me long to reach (and breach) my target quantity. It took me around a year to get truly settled in my pipe choices too. Now, my budget is drifting more towards savings for holidays, and a possible relocation in a year or two.

So five more tins of tobacco or a couple more cheap pipes, neither of which I need, cost me a day in a hotel, a short walk from a beach, or a special pass to feed animals at a zoo. Each month I don't buy something I can't enjoy for ten years, buys me something I can enjoy, either this year or next. The train tickets, a boat trip, a meal with friends. Each shorter lived than the equivalent tobacco, but with longer lasting memories.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That being said I do like collecting things.

Then you're screwed! 🤣

I'm lucky in that I don't particularly enjoy that. I do accumulate too much stuff, but then find myself getting claustrophobic with it all. That helps me moderate my purchases somewhat. Limited funds helps too :biggrin1:

A tobacco is only hard to get if you can’t get it lol! Once in a while you luck out and buy what you want.
Tis true. If the one local shop I go into when I see gold bags hitting stores has some I used to buy one. Now it's gotten to be more than I want to pay. I may buy a tin if they have something I know I like.

Arturo Fuente Spanish LonsdaleSingle15.600.005.60
H. Upmann 1844 Reserve ChurchillSingle28.680.0017.36
Cain Maduro 550Single16.500.006.50
Oliva Serie O ChurchillSingle17.900.007.90
Old Henry Maduro CoronaBox of 251104.990.00104.99
Visol Artemis Triple Torch Lighter Black
Old Henry Pure Breed ChurchillBox of 201119.990.00119.99
Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro RobustoSingle18.220.008.22

An IMP meer. Some tobacco and cigars.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom