What's new

What are Your 5 Favorite Double Edged Razors?

In 2016, I've acquired some new double edged razors that have drastically changed my "top razor list." With the acquisition of some new razors in the last few months, I'm suddenly so happy with my razor set-up, that I'm having trouble justifying my RAD and adding more razors to my collection (though I'm sure I'll get over that feeling very soon). Here are my five current favorite razors, in order:

1. Above the Tie Kronos S1 (2016 base plate). I'm shocked how much I love this razor. It's mild, yet extremely efficient. With just 2 passes, I can get an excellent DFS (and almost a BBS), and with 3 passes, I get an amazing BBS. Plus the build quality and the feel in the hand is exceptional. This is far and away my favorite razor right now.

2. Rockwell 6s. Another razor that I'm surprised that I love so much. I was a bit of a holdout on buying this razor (which may be fine, given the issues Rockwell had with the initial run), but now that I have it, I love the concept of being able to adjust the razor by switching/flipping the base plates. I've gotten a great shave with all of the base plates, but plates #3 and #4 seem to be the sweet spot for me. I could be very happy if this were the only razor I owned. Okay, I may not be happy, but I could survive.

3. RazoRock Wunderbar. I'm not sure what possessed me to buy this razor. Perhaps the pressure of getting an email telling me that it was now available. While I'm a fan of Joe and his products, I wasn't sure I'd like this razor (I'm not crazy about the Fine Superlite Slant, and this razor has a very, very similar design). But, with exceptionally light pressure, I get absolutely amazing, effortless shaves with this razor. This isn't a razor I'd choose to use as my daily driver, but if I had to pick one razor to use for a very close shave, this would probably be it.

4. Shave Revolution Double Edged Safety Razor (closed comb). I picked this razor up on a whim around the beginning of the year, and the first time I used it, I was immediately blown away. It has a stainless steel handle that is very similar to an iKon Bamboo handle, and a German-made chrome plated head. It's a mild, yet efficient shaver. For me, this took the place of the Merkur 34C in my rotation, which I didn't think was possible to remove from my regular rotation (I find the shave to be about the same, perhaps the Shave Revolution is a little more aggressive). If I want to grab a razor for a quick, close shave that I don't have to think much about, this is usually it.

5. Merkur Futur. I find I need to pay attention with this razor because it is aggressive (no matter what setting I put it on), but I'm always rewarded with a really great shave. Personally, I like shaving with settings 3-4, though I've tried complete shaves on all 6 settings. This seems to be a rather polarizing razor, but I really enjoy it (and I do not have trouble shaving under my nose with the large head).

So, that's my top five list, which contains several recently released razors. I'm curious, what are your current top five safety razors?

Hi,

1) Fasan DoubleSlant
2) Gillette Old Type (I won't get all picky about which style)
3) Generic Solingen-made Differential Slant (came under many names, such as Lutz)
4) Gillette NEW (Again, I won't get all picky about which style)
5) Gillette Pre-War Tech

Stan

1. Leresche 77
2. Kirby Beard with knurled handle and scalloped cap
3. British # 16 (gold or rhodium plated)
4. Apollo Mikron
5. Bottom dial Fat Boy

You can't beat the oldies!

1. Darwin Deluxe
2. Darwin Adjustable
3. No. 15 Aristocrat
4. No. 21 Aristocrat
5. Darwin Standard

My reward to myself for quitting cigarettes. Oh and I might live longer, a win win.:001_smile

Weber PH
'56 Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
'47 Gillette Aristocrat
50's Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Gillette Pre War Tech

Tough choice between,
Windrose D-9 Chunky & SP-4, both on Generic Scalloped Safety Bar Head
Rapira Platinum Lux "Tech-Clone" on Knurled Boctok Handle
Acevivi Dual-Comb
Micro Touch One
Weishi 9306CL
1980s Severodonetsk-1 Adjustable
1980s Wizamet W-11 Adjustable
1990s Ideal Adjustable
Saiver Compact Travel Razor

They're all good razors, so in reverse alphabetical order.......

View attachment 689075
Wizamet W-11

View attachment 689077
Windrose D-9 Chunky

View attachment 689078
Severodonetsk-1

View attachment 689079
Rapira Platinum Lux

View attachment 689080
Acevivi Dual-Comb

It was a close call between the Weishi and the Rapira, but the Rapira won because, like the other 4 in my shortlist, it requires skill to get a good shave without any nicks or weepers - I can shave with the Weishi on autopilot.

1) Black handle R-4 Superspeed
2) British flat-bottom tech
3) English B-4 Slim twist (presumably it came in the G1000/G2000 package)
4) English Alu tech
5) Flare tip 50ies SS

I have posted on so many of these favorite threads - but it never gets old. :laugh:

1. Merkur HD Slant (gold plated)
2. Slim Adjustable (original condition)
3. Fat boy adjustable (re-plated in rhodium)
4. Super Speed flair tip (can't decide between red tip and rocket; both have been re-plated)
5. A franken razor I have that is a new open comb head with a tech handle and re-plated in gold - really gorgeous with a shave on the mild side!

Honorable mention: Feather Popular, Merkur 1904, Probak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom