What's new

What Are You Reading?

Stephen King's Joyland

I am about halfway through it, and it is fun so far. It is a short read set in 1973 at an amusement park that bears the same name as the book.

wow!! how much time do you spend reading? That's an insane amount of material to get through.

Currently reading:

Sword of Shannarra - Terry Brooks
War and Peace
Century Trilogy bk 2 - Ken Follett (first book was awesome, made you really feel like you were in ww1)
The Shannara series is being made into a tv show/movie.

A Friars Tale - Remembering Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel, CFR

A wonderful biography/autobiography written by Fr. Benedict in his last days, and supplemented by his longtime secretary, John Collins. It is the story of a Capuchin friars amazing life in the Archdiocese of New York, and how God used this man in amazing ways, touching the lives of countless thousands.

Michael Malone's "Uncivil Seasons" and "Time's Witness". I was first introduced to Malone's wit and southern humor in "Handling Sin", now moving on to his crime (police procedural) novels.

A Friars Tale - Remembering Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel, CFR

A wonderful biography/autobiography written by Fr. Benedict in his last days, and supplemented by his longtime secretary, John Collins. It is the story of a Capuchin friars amazing life in the Archdiocese of New York, and how God used this man in amazing ways, touching the lives of countless thousands.
I remember him from EWTN.

I didn't realized he passed.

I'm checking it out on Amazon!

I've been watching it, not so great. I think Tuesday's episode was the end for me. I do want to go back and reread the original trilogy now. I haven't read them in decades.

I hate it when that happens. Always reminds me of The Dresden Files. I like to pretend that TV Show never existed.

Hood, by Stephen Lawhead. Robin Hood has been done to death, but this retelling is not bad.

If you like the Hood books (King Raven series if I remember correctly), you should check out his Pendragon series. It's a slightly different take on the Arthur legends. He does a great job of retelling the stories in a historical setting based on the actual Welsh historical events that were the most likely sources of the myths and legends themselves. His writing is a bit dry, but the historical slants on the myths kept the books interesting for me.

Hood, by Stephen Lawhead. Robin Hood has been done to death, but this retelling is not bad.

If you like the Hood books (King Raven series if I remember correctly), you should check out his Pendragon series. It's a slightly different take on the Arthur legends. He does a great job of retelling the stories in a historical setting based on the actual Welsh historical events that were the most likely sources of the myths and legends themselves. His writing is a bit dry, but the historical slants on the myths kept the books interesting for me.

I read the entire King Raven trilogy, and really enjoyed them. I've heard of the Pendragon cycle, and will likely look for it in the future as well. If you know any other good "Robin Hood" stories, I'd love to read them.

Recently finished David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. Pretty amazing piece of literature. I like DFW's essays better than his long fiction. But I think Infinite Jest deserves the praise it has received.

I am listening to Morning Star the third and last book of the Pierce Brown Red Rising Trilogy. It must be me because it is rated 4.8 out of 5 on Audible.com with 1433 ratings and I really liked the first two books of the series, but I am not feeling it so far.

Lies My Mother Never Told Me by Kaylie Jones

A memoir by the daughter of novelist James Jones.

The woman idolized her father and when he died she is raised by her alcoholic mother.

It is her story of abuse and her own battle with alcoholism to become a writer
her father would be proud of.

Just finished The Fellowship of the Ring this evening. I must say I am appalled it took me so long to read this epic. I still cannot account for it. I devoured fantasy novels when I was younger but somehow overlooked the masterpiece. I honestly did not know what to expect coming from the cinema perspective first. It was much like this when I realised that Blade Runner was based upon Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? The movie was entirely different than the book, which was much more cerebral than the movie. The movie was pure film noir in its execution(albeit in a science fiction wrapper) but a different vibe than the novel to be sure.

LOTR movies definitely tried to stay the course as to tone and content of the novel. They simply could not make twenty hour movies to capture all the detail of the written story. I do think the absence of Tom Bombadill in the movies was a loss. It was rather germane to the characters making it out of the Shire area in the first place. It has been a rather long time since I was captivated by reading fiction and novels. I think this is a natural progression as you age. You read to learn or study things. Mayhaps this will rekindle my appetite for action and fantasy novels. One thing is for sure. I have had the telly on less and less and that is a good thing. I am also endeavouring to start reading the Bible in much more daily fashion. I have been lax on that account and it shows.

So with that may the smile of Lady Galadriel favour you and the glow of the Evenstar light your readings.

Top Bottom