What's new

What Are You Reading?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
DF7505A8-8C7F-45EE-BA45-B2DFF89363CD.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Finished Empire of the Summer Moon. Really fantastic. Opened my eyes to a whole new understanding of Indian affairs. I recommend everyone read it.

C2BCE5FE-5DAB-4571-8C6B-1DBD3FAE641A.jpeg

For something completely different I started reading The Way I Heard It. Always been a big fan of Mike Rowe. 20 pages in and I can already tell this book will be enjoyable. He’s such a great story teller. Even the most boring of stories he makes interesting.

6D1B1B2D-864A-4807-80C2-745F9C29978C.jpeg

Now for something completely different. I believe I've mentioned before that my oldest daughter asked me to do a "40 Book Challenge" with her where we read books from specific genres. Regardless, one of her favorite books to date is Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. Published in 1877. I'm reading it now, and wanted to share a brief passage I really appreciated. I hope this is allowed.
"There is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham...and it won't stand when things come to be turned inside out and put down for what they are."

I've been reading books by Erich Fromm. I've read The Art of Loving, To Have or To Be?, The Art of Being, The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness, Escape From Freedom, Man For Himself, and Love, Sexuality, and Matriarchy:About Gender. Next up is The Sane Society. I've been searching for a clearer understanding of myself and of others. Of course I know I'll never fully grasp why we humans are the way we are. But it's such an interesting subject.

To relax in the late evenings I've been reading books by Dave Barry.

Today I finished the last two stories from Amazon's Forward collection and listened to The Didomenico Fragment by Amor Towles. Next up is Blindness by José Saramago.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Just about finished with George Packer's "Our Man," his biography of Richard Holbrooke. A piercing look at how Washington really works (or doesn't) when making foreign policy--a process akin to the making of sausage.

Sadly, the book lacks an index and the photographs are un-captioned except in an appendix. Very frustrating. Still, a worthwhile book that largely unpacks the byzantine diplomacy necessary to have brought some measure of peace to the Balkans during the Clinton years. (We could have used more maps here, though.)

About to start Robin Cook's "Viral" as a diversion while I await the new Reacher book (which I hope is better than the Childs' most recent efforts).

I started reading Intensity by Dean Koontz. I've never read anything by him before, but felt a thriller for October seemed appropriate. I'm not far enough in to have a grasp as to whether I'm a fan or not. However, I will say that I am not a fan of book collections in hardback. This collection also includes Dark Shadows of the Heart and Sole Survivor in the same binding. It's not the best reading experience.

I've also been reading Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief...or whatever that convoluted title is. First book in the Percy Jackson series. Reading it with my 12yo. We're both actually enjoying this one quite a bit. I never saw the movie, which I heard is terrible, but we will likely watch it sometime after completing the book. As that's what we tend to do...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Finished Greenlights by Alright Alright Alright guy. Better than I thought it would be. Entertaining.

Starting The Kite Runner (Again). Started this book YEARS ago and never finished it. Time to finish it.

C94DD9C1-246B-4E6C-BAA6-9E896BA7EA20.jpeg

Finally finished Irving’s ‘A Son of the Circus’ and I must say, it wasn’t worth the calories. I regret spending the time to read it, and I say this as a huge John Irving fan. A Prayer for Owen Meany still affects me deeply. I will be taking a break from him for awhile, and have Avenue of Mysteries on the shelf.

I also finished Citadel of the Autarch by Gene Wolfe, final book of his Book of the New Sun quartet. It was a unique sci fi-fantasy series unlike anything I have read. So much confusion throughout the series, but it all came together in the end. Highly recommended.

I am moving on to Kazuo Ishiguro’s Klara and the Sun as well as Stephen King’s Wolves of the Calla (Book 5 of the Dark Tower series).

Audiobooks are something that don't work for me. My mind wanders, either processing what my brain just took on, or visiting a memory prompted by something said. Words on a page wait patiently for my mind to return, but an audiobook keeps rambling on while my mind is elsewhere.

As for the backlog of books, part of the problem for me, is having bought cheap book bundles, only to find that some of them are from a series of novels, and not necessarily in the right order. As such, there's some I won't read until I've sourced and read the preceeding ones in the saga.
Agree that audiobooks are associated withwandering of the mind. Holding a printed book in hand, without any distractions, allows the mind to concentrate, think, synthesize, and learn. It is a chin-up for the brain!

I recently finished Intensity by Dean Koontz. It's probably the first book in a LONG time that I considered not completing. At points, I found it incredibly boring. I will say that it picked up in the end, but was still not a huge fan. I may try one of the other novels included in that collection, but not for a while.

Regarding audio books, I agree that my mind tends to wander more with that format. However, I'm also using this as an opportunity to improve my auditory comprehension. I'm currently in the middle of And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie via audio book. I'm really enjoying it. I'm greatful for the reader using slightly different voices for the characters, as names are one things I definitely struggle with over audio books. The different tones makes it easier for me to envision who's speaking.

William Hitchcock's The Struggle for Europe. Extremely readable history of Europe from the end of WWII to the fall of the Berlin Wall. One can't help but feel that giants walked the earth back then.

Top Bottom