What's new

What Are You Reading?

Well, I finally finished reading Chandler Burr's The Emperor of Scent, about Luca Turin and his theory of smell. Now I'm reading Luca Turin's book, The Secret of Scent: Adventures in Perfume and the Science of Smell.

I finished reading Luca Turin's book, The Secret of Scent: Adventures in Perfume and the Science of Smell -- interesting and demanding reading... lots of chemistry in it, and not chatty like Chandler Burr's book. Nevertheless, I found it compelling and worthy of reading (especially after first reading Burr's The Emperor of Scent.

NOW, I'm busily reading Chandler Burr's newly-released book, A Year Behind The Scenes (of the perfume industry in Paris and New York). A-mazing! In the same way that Burr opened the doors to scents and how they are/might-be smelled, he now opens the doors to how two scents are created: one, an in-house scent (Hermes); the other, a "celebrity scent" (Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely, from Coty).

Again, highly recommended reading. Here is an excerpt, in which Chandler Burr expresses his feeling about Hugo Boss's Number One:
If a cat had morning breath, then ate kibble, then licked its anus, then licked your hand, and if you then smelled your hand,
it [Number One] would smell like this.​

Fascinating. I have two kittens... you do the math. Fortunately, they both brush their teeth before going to sleep.

Right now, The Book of Mormon.
Once I have finished it, I have 2 new books that I have added with a gift card from Barnes & Noble that I got for Christmas: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein, and America, the Last Best Hope, Vol. 1 by Bill Bennett.

Just read this thread from the beginning to present.

2007:

Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje
The Sportswriter, Richard Ford
Independence Day, Richard Ford
The Sea, John Banville
Saturday, Ian McEwan
On Chesil Beach, Ian McEwan

... some others

Paul

I recently finished up "Anansi Boys", by Neil Gaiman. Enjoyable read from an author whose work I really like. If you've read "American Gods", the theme is somewhat similar, although (with a few exceptions) it's not as dark as American Gods was.

Honestly, I'm running out of good series and individual books to read... I'll have to check back over this thread for inspiration.

Slowly whittling my way through Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Also rereading The Big Sleep and Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler and I recently finished Big Business by Robert B. Parker

This is a novel that was released a couple of months ago. It is long (over 600 pages), and it is very good. Gives a real feel for the Viet Nam Conflict (over 58,000 GI's dead, but they don't call it a war!) through the eyes of four or five main characters.
"Tree of Smoke" by Denis Johnson

I am currently about four chapters into Atonement, by Ian McEwan. It was a long-running best seller and they have made it into a major motion picture, but I am so bored it is difficult for me to pick it up to continue. :bored: I must be missing something.

I will persevere.

Tim

King C Gillette, The Man and he's Wonderful Shaving Device.

My daughter gave it to me for Christmas. Rather interesting fellow. I never knew he worked so hard and so passionately to create his version of a Utopian Society. Makes me wonder just how he's efforts contributed to world peace today? .......... Any thoughts?

"Democracy in America" is a fascinating French perspective of Americans,their politics, and world view........F.A. Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom" a great arguement for Liberty.......David A. Clary's "Adopted Son" is a great insight into George Washington and his relationship with Lafayette and the relationship between America and France during both revolutions.....Anything by C.S.Lewis or George MacDonald ("At the Back of the North Wind" is a great start).....Most anything from the "Library of America" series; Lincoln,Washington,Paine,Madison,Jefferson,Twain,Emerson.....Just recently bought a complete Churchill set of "A History of the English Speaking Peoples" so I have abit to keep me busy for quite a bit......

Just finished: "The Devil in the White City" by Eric Larsen.

Just started: "Neuromancer" by William Gibson.

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Not sure what it is that attracts me to his books but I just keep devouring them.

Any other Murakami fans in the audience?

Cheers

Jeremy

... Raymond Chandler

always a pleasure and worth a re-read
.. hard to think many have not read these even 1x

"The Elegant Universe" is on the shelf beside where it was....Am I working in reverse here? Any significant difference between the two that would indicate a proper sequence of reading them? My intent was to read that next......I'll probably go back and do the Hawking thing again after that.....I missed the "Universe" broadcast a while back....This stuff is a break from the politics and history for the sake of a little variety..........

I just finished The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman this afternoon. Excellent read if you are "in" to that sort of thing.

Next up is a re-read,The Art of Happinessby The Dalai Lama.

Top Bottom