What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

image.jpg

I ran into yet another article that claims orange bitters are an original and highly desirable ingredient in a traditional gin martini. I still have mixed feelings and wonder why I had never run into this assertion in the past. The orange bitters publicity machine must be strong!
Winston Churchill famously said that the only proper way to make a martini was to add the gin to the ice, then (for the vermouth part) simply bow in the direction of France. I’m not as dogmatic but Bitters?

Winston Churchill famously said that the only proper way to make a martini was to add the gin to the ice, then (for the vermouth part) simply bow in the direction of France. I’m not as dogmatic but Bitters?
That is a famous story about Churchill. Was it he or WC Fields who suggested the proper application of vermouth was to wave the bottle of vermouth at the mixing glass. I love a martini, but I am not trying to set a record for how dry it us. If I was I would just chill naval strength gin. I like vermouth.

That is a famous story about Churchill. Was it he or WC Fields who suggested the proper application of vermouth was to wave the bottle of vermouth at the mixing glass. I love a martini, but I am not trying to set a record for how dry it us. If I was I would just chill naval strength gin. I like vermouth.
I believe Fields. The other story says to hold the Vermouth between a light source and the glass to let it „shine“ on your Martini :lol:

Top Bottom