What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Buffalo Trace OF
8CB3AF68-9197-4E3A-BA0F-719C0C7B1124.jpeg

A relic found in the back of a cabinet.
No clue how long it was there but it still tastes fine.

View attachment 1588734

Edit: What am I missing here? This is a bog standard 10y bottling at the usual 45.8% ABV and it won’t mature a bit in the bottle anymore…

View attachment 1588740
I've heard it doesn't age in the bottle, but I've run into a couple of 'DAMN that's good".
A college roommate brought a bottle of Old Grandad that was in the basement for years, and it was really good. Before we finished it, we bought another bottle and compared. Big difference. The old bottle was far better.
About 10 years ago a friend was cleaning out the crawlspace in the house on the cape. He gave me a bottle of whiskey. It'd been down there for at least 20 years. It was a very nice sipping whiskey.
When it ran low, I went to the liquor store for a replacement bottle of Canadian Ace and was pleased to see it was inexpensive. It was vile battery acid.
Once bottled, it doesn't go thru the oak ageing process, but it does still change in the bottle. I don't think it's been looked at much.

A rare treat tonight: Budweiser Chelada, made with Budweiser beer (duh!), Clamato juice, lime and Worcestershire sauce in a big, cold can.
Two of 'em, matter of fact. To my knowledge, they're only available at Wal-Mart so every once in awhile, I grit my teeth and fight the madding crowds to score some of these tasty beverages.

BudweiserChelada.png

I've heard it doesn't age in the bottle, but I've run into a couple of 'DAMN that's good".
A college roommate brought a bottle of Old Grandad that was in the basement for years, and it was really good. Before we finished it, we bought another bottle and compared. Big difference. The old bottle was far better.
About 10 years ago a friend was cleaning out the crawlspace in the house on the cape. He gave me a bottle of whiskey. It'd been down there for at least 20 years. It was a very nice sipping whiskey.
When it ran low, I went to the liquor store for a replacement bottle of Canadian Ace and was pleased to see it was inexpensive. It was vile battery acid.
Once bottled, it doesn't go thru the oak ageing process, but it does still change in the bottle. I don't think it's been looked at much.
I’m pretty sure the alcohol will interact with the oxygen in the headspace of the bottle. The more air in it the more surface and volume for this process. Is it beneficial? Could be that it smoothes out a rougher spirit but it also makes it flatter. Maturing is for me something that adds another layer of taste and takes nothing away.

Could also be that the juice sold nowadays is just of poorer quality as it happened with a lot liquors over the years (Highland Park 12y, Johnnie Walker Green and to some extent Lagavulin 16y).

I’m living vicariously through you all. I’m 12 days in on a dry January. Kirkland sparkling water until the 31’st for me. 😕

I'm with you buddy. I decided to do dry January myself this year. I've been drinking kinda heavy the past year or so... I needed a reset to help moderate myself a little more. Intake will resume in February with a few more ground rules.

I'm with you buddy. I decided to do dry January myself this year. I've been drinking kinda heavy the past year or so... I needed a reset to help moderate myself a little more. Intake will resume in February with a few more ground rules.
22 days ! I don’t know about you but I’m sleeping like a rock with not consuming alcohol. I’m going through sparkling water like crazy. I’m thinking some new ground rules would be imposed on myself as well. With that said, good for you doing something positive and only 9 days to go!

Top Bottom