What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Both of those Bourbons are fantastic pours .I can not say one is better than the other just a little different .I get a slight sweet cherry component from the Rock Hill Farms and slightly more spice and sweet baking flavors from the Blantons.You can not go wrong purchasing either one of them IMHO .

To my palette RHF’s has more depth of flavors. Blanton’s is one of my favorite pours and typically saved for Friday night. I just wish I’d bunkered more 4 or 5 years ago when it was cheaper and plentiful. Wasn’t too long ago it was easily found at under $40...

4A9D50E2-248A-4998-BBCE-65E59AE94A18.jpeg

Last evening's cocktail: Margarita. 2 oz Espolon Reposado, 1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice, 3/4 oz Cointreau, little bit of honey (out of Agavé syrup - usually skip this anyway). Lime wheel.

Last evening's cocktail: Margarita. 2 oz Espolon Reposado, 1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice, 3/4 oz Cointreau, little bit of honey (out of Agavé syrup - usually skip this anyway). Lime wheel.

Do you ever substitute Grand Marnier or Gran Gala for the Cointreau?

Yes. And De Kuyper Triple Sec. I’ll drink them all! Cointreau is a couple bucks more, but I enjoy the flavor more. Do you have a preference?

I go a little heavier on Tequila. My standard Margarita recipe is 3 - 3.5 oz tequila, 1 oz fresh lime juice, .50 oz Grand Marnier, and .25 Cointreau, very small squeeze/splash agave syrup. I often use two different types of tequila to keep things interesting

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Do you ever substitute Grand Marnier or Gran Gala for the Cointreau?

I've tried Grand Marnier in a Margarita. It makes for a good drink, but I greatly prefer the more straightforward and more intense orange flavor and aroma from Cointreau. The brandy and barrel flavors in Grand Marnier muddy things up too much and pretty much make for a different drink since I use equal parts tequila and Cointreau. I'll keep the Grand Marnier around for sipping and the Cointreau for Margaritas.

I've never tried Gran Gala in a Margarita, but I doubt I will anytime soon. Like Grand Marnier, it's good for sipping, but I don't want to add those brandy flavors to the drink.

Top Bottom