What's new

What are the best tactics for 3017ing a soap?

How do you 3017 soaps?

• One at a time

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • In a rotation

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Whenever I think of it

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Wait, what, you can use a whole soap up

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
If you have a lot of tubs of soap and cream with only a little in them, merge them Into one container. Bet that gets rid of several containers in seconds!

Eben Stone

Staff member
I've sold or PIF'd all my non favorite soaps. I can't imagine finishing off a non favorite soap gives any sense of accomplishment.

Last edited:
I promise this is my last entry in this thread addressing the original question. I feel the quickest way to 3017 a soap (without using it in the shower or giving it away) is as follows:

1) Use one at a time.
2) Use a badger or boar brush with a large knot
3) Use a lot of water and load heavy; I like the Marco method

That should do it.

Now if you really want to go through soap at an accelerated pace, build your lather on the puck. When I first started DE/SE shaving, I would place my puck in a shaving mug, load my brush and build my lather in the same mug. When I was done with the shave, I would rinse out the mug and whatever lather was left went down the drain. I would go through a puck in weeks instead of months.

That's all I have. Good luck, be well, and stay safe...

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have had a bit of success this month. I managed to 3017 a tub of TOBS Coconut cream earlier and last night a Wilkinson Sword Blue puck, my oldest soap from 2016. My Arko stick which is crushed into a dip bowl and is now my oldest soap from 2018 and the final of the three soaps in my rotation looks like it is not going to last too much longer either so I think the rotation has done it's job.
I was going to 3017 Cella next, but I may add another soap or 2 until I have run them down a bit
I would like to get below 20 soaps and keep it there, but that depends on whether I can curb my soap buying

I promise this is my last entry in this thread addressing the original question. I feel the quickest way to 3017 a soap (without using it in the shower or giving it away) is as follows:

1) Use one at a time.
2) Use a badger or boar brush with a large knot
3) Use a lot of water and load heavy; I like the Marco method

That should do it.

Now if you really want to go through soap at an accelerated pace, build your lather on the puck. When I first started DE/SE shaving, I would place my puck in a shaving mug, load my brush and build my lather in the same mug. When I was done with the shave, I would rinse out the mug and whatever lather was left went down the drain. I would go through a puck in weeks instead of months.

That's all I have. Good luck, be well, and stay safe...

that’s the way.

If you can make this approach work for credit card debt, I will definitely subscribe to your newsletter.

• Haha
Reactions: bjm
I have had a bit of success this month. I managed to 3017 a tub of TOBS Coconut cream earlier and last night a Wilkinson Sword Blue puck, my oldest soap from 2016. My Arko stick which is crushed into a dip bowl and is now my oldest soap from 2018 and the final of the three soaps in my rotation looks like it is not going to last too much longer either so I think the rotation has done it's job.
I was going to 3017 Cella next, but I may add another soap or 2 until I have run them down a bit
I would like to get below 20 soaps and keep it there, but that depends on whether I can curb my soap buying

I checked my Wiki page where I track my soap stocks, and not including the puck of Trumper Violet that is currently in use, I have 18 pucks of soap. 5 of these fall into the Unobtainium category and will be savored. Of the remaining 13, 3 are soft soaps that typically get used up in a month each. That leaves 10 hard soaps, and assuming 3 months per puck, I have 2.5 years of shaves before I would consider buying a new one.

I checked my Wiki page where I track my soap stocks, and not including the puck of Trumper Violet that is currently in use, I have 18 pucks of soap. 5 of these fall into the Unobtainium category and will be savored. Of the remaining 13, 3 are soft soaps that typically get used up in a month each. That leaves 10 hard soaps, and assuming 3 months per puck, I have 2.5 years of shaves before I would consider buying a new one.

And yes, I have completely defeated the shaving AD’s that plagued me at the start of this hobby.

30 soaps and one cream for me not counting the newly started PdP half-year puck.

12 Palmolive sticks. 11 NOS soaps, mostly Valobra variations, which are 3017’d like anything else.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have a few in the queue, but am one soap and one cream at a time person. I also load heavily, not to use up soap but just to make my life easier/not run out. Works for me.

30 soaps and one cream for me not counting the newly started PdP half-year puck.

12 Palmolive sticks. 11 NOS soaps, mostly Valobra variations, which are 3017’d like anything else.

I didn’t include the sticks, but I only have about 5 of them and other than the QED Rosie, the rest are excellent performers but uninteresting

I want to grow up to be just like you :)

I will settle for just growing up one day!

To get back to the topic at hand, I started with the partials and oddballs and questionables and singleton soaps. If they were not at least good to very good they got PIF’d, traded or thrown away. At this point all that are left are quality soaps, many with duplicates.

Top Bottom