What's new

What are the best "B-list" soaps?

First of all, B-list is unfair, and I apologize for that - but I feel like I've covered the A-list soaps, and by that I mean the top-shelf, orthodox recommendations. Among those, and perhaps reaching down a shelf, here are some favorites:

Tabac: The undisputed king of shaving soaps. Period. Honorable Mention: Da Moos.
MWF: I've never understood why people find it difficult or underwhelming.
La Toja: Love both forms.
L'Occitane Cade: Further proof that cows need not die for great soap (not that I'm against it).
Vitos: Green, Red, both about the same - great.
Palmolive/Arko/Valobra sticks: Super, but I don't need any more sticks.

Admittedly, I haven't tried everything - Institut Karite, for instance. I'm looking for others of this quality that I might not have heard of.

Fire away!

I think the Haslinger tallow soaps are pretty good for the price.

They are somewhat expensive considering the size of the puck (just over 2 oz.), but my skin has never felt better after a shave than it does after using the Haslinger. Great lather to boot.

$Haslinger & Muehle.jpg

You haven't mentioned D R Harris- they are certainly A-List soaps in my book, although they are not expensive at all.

I assume that Cella and Proraso are A-list products right?

If they're not in your A-list then I nominate Speick and Musgo Real, both in cream form and both solid performers with likeable scents.

IMO there are no grades for soaps because one persons A grade is another persons junk and vice versa.

My A grade:
MWF
speick
GFT rose.

Ive read many cases where people grade these soaps as low grade or even unusable. E.g. MWF. Personally, I don't like Italian soaps like cella, valobra, p160 etc etc as I don't care for the scents or the greasy post shave feel.

Last edited:
I would second adding RazoRock to the list. Although clearly not as well known as long-standing established brands like MWF and Tabac, the soaps ae excellent and one of the best bargains available. I would add AoS soaps to your A-list as well.

Mike

Are all of the puck soaps from Haslinger tallow based? I wanted to start by trying out the honey, but it was out of stock when I placed my last WCS order...

I thought so, although I did a Google search and found info ranging from info that suggests they are all tallow based (Bullgoose) to a RoyalShave eBay add that claims at least the Marigold has no animal ingredients. I've personally only used the Sandalwood, which listed tallow as an ingredient.

Not sure if theses are B list, but the small artisan soap makers seem to be getting a lot of noise too, Queen Charlotte, Mystic Water and Mikes Natural. Definitely on my radar for something to try.

Well I am taking my time with this soap thing. When I started a year ago I bought three that were available in shops locally, Erasmic bowl, Wilkinson Sword bowl, Palmolive stick. The two bowls, whilst you can shave with them, soon got dispatched, and I used Palmolive Stick for the best part of that year. In fact, each time I go to Tesco I buy one as they are so cheap.

So Palmolive, I guess, is my benchmark.

Marcos writings got me to order Cella (red tub). Its fantastic, and my initial proclamations were that its better than Palmolive. Having re used Palmolive I dont think Cella is "better", I think they are different but equal.

So my top two are P Stick and Cella.

This month I intend to order either Tacac or MWF and rank it against these two.

C List are erasmic and Wilkinsons. Wouldnt use either again

Top Bottom