What's new

What are the best "B-list" soaps?

Mama Bear's soaps are pretty awesome. Don't be deceived by the fact that they're melt and pour. The fragrance selection is pretty amazing too.

Mama Bear's soaps are pretty awesome. Don't be deceived by the fact that they're melt and pour. The fragrance selection is pretty amazing too.

On the melt and pour side, I've also had very good results with the Saint Charles Shave and The Shave Den soaps

I thought so, although I did a Google search and found info ranging from info that suggests they are all tallow based (Bullgoose) to a RoyalShave eBay add that claims at least the Marigold has no animal ingredients. I've personally only used the Sandalwood, which listed tallow as an ingredient.

My puck of Marigold (purchased from WCS in December, 2011) certainly had tallow.

Wow, good feedback so far. A couple of clarifications - I didn't list every soap I've ever owned. You guys brought up several I've tried, but didn't make my A-list:

DRH: I found it good, but not great. Scents I tried wore on me. However, the Marlborough splash is a favorite.
Cella: Not as good as P.160, which is not as good as Vitos.
Proraso/Omega: Not a fan.
Speick: Good, borders on great. I keep a stick.
GFT: Been a long time, and I didn't like the scent I got, so I may try again.
VDH: Really? I mean, it works, but... really?
Queen Charlott: I tried a very early Sandalwood. Great performer, not a great scent. I hear he's reworked the scents...
Mama Bear: Have some, like it alright, but it's not great. Good enough, but not great.

Others I haven't tried that I think will make the next order...
Haslinger
Gold Dachs
Institut karite
RazoRock (which I gather is quite similar to the Italian soft soaps)

Here are a few alternatives of my B-list to compete with your A-list: :001_tt2:
Pre de Provence
Provence Sante
D.R. Harris
C&E
EJ/Muhle

Last edited:
Here are a few alternatives of my B-list to compete with your A-list: :001_tt2:
Pre de Provence
Provence Sante
D.R. Harris
C&E
EJ/Muhle

I have to say, when I thought about putting water to a puck of C&E, the movie Gremlins came to mind.

Exaggeration aside, the scent was an insurmountable obstacle. I'll look at PdP, PS, and hadn't even thought of the EJ/Mühle soaps.

Good grief... Isn't anyone going to say......

Arko

Good God man! What have you done??? Mentioning Arko in the "A-list" soaps thread is like inviting Cousin Eddie and his RV to Christmas! :lol:

"Crapper's full Clark..."

$****ter_full_cousin_eddie.jpg

Of course, I did mention ARKO in my first post. It's A-list for performance that makes the scent bearable.

Good God man! What have you done??? Mentioning Arko in the "A-list" soaps thread is like inviting Cousin Eddie and his RV to Christmas! :lol:

"Crapper's full Clark..."

It may be Cousin Eddie and his RV, but darn it, he's got what it takes in that RV to get the job done without asking too many questions or requiring you to baby sit him. I find Arko the best performing soap that requires no "technique" or tricks besides the obvious natural actions: rub it on your face, put the brush to your face, have the best shaving lather. I have used it with different brushes and it worked, I have used it with different razors and it worked, I have used it with different blades and it still worked. Arko just works. The smell was bad for me at first, but after a few weeks of airing it just smells like a bar of Ivory soap, which is not fancy by any means, but if you are after a good comfortable slick shave lather, you got the right soap. There is just something about the character of that "Cousin Eddie". He may not have the clothes of "007", but he can get the same thing done with far less fanfare. And he is cheap! Just have him park the RV in the back yard for a few days before asking him to do chores :)

It may be Cousin Eddie and his RV, but darn it, he's got what it takes in that RV to get the job done without asking too many questions or requiring you to baby sit him. I find Arko the best performing soap that requires no "technique" or tricks besides the obvious natural actions: rub it on your face, put the brush to your face, have the best shaving lather. I have used it with different brushes and it worked, I have used it with different razors and it worked, I have used it with different blades and it still worked. Arko just works. The smell was bad for me at first, but after a few weeks of airing it just smells like a bar of Ivory soap, which is not fancy by any means, but if you are after a good comfortable slick shave lather, you got the right soap. There is just something about the character of that "Cousin Eddie". He may not have the clothes of "007", but he can get the same thing done with far less fanfare. And he is cheap! Just have him park the RV in the back yard for a few days before asking him to do chores :)

Excellent analogy, I couldn't agree more. I love Arko! I just think it's fun to pretend that Arko is our collective "Dirty Little Secret".

Since it has reared its head in this thread, I'm going to ask the three dollar and fifty cent question; what *does* Arko smell like??

Kind of like a common household cleaning product.

hmm, I had the temerity to suggest that Omega in the tub smelled a bit like Comet cleanser.... which common cleaning product does Arko smell like? I'd totally go for it if it duplicates Murphy oil soap ;)

Kind of like a common household cleaning product.

If there is one thing I have learned during my brief time on B&B it is that scent is the ultimate YMMV. I can totally see where people get the "common cleaner" and "industrial soap" vibe from Arko, but it just smells like generic "soap" to me. I seem to vaguely recall my grandmother's bathroom always smelled similar to Arko. So, can I add "grandma" to the list? :lol:

Since it has reared its head in this thread, I'm going to ask the three dollar and fifty cent question; what *does* Arko smell like??

Imagine an industrial accident in a factory that makes both insect repellant and tub cleaner.

Top Bottom