What's new

What are the best "B-list" soaps?

MdC, QCS, RR, PdP aNd MW are at least additional A list players. Moving away from alphabet soup, I'd include Osma, penhaligons and about a dozen more.

Here is my current rotation all A's for me.

AOS Lavender, Lemon, Sandalwood
Cella
Arlington
MdC
Tabac
Truefitt & Hill Luxury Soap
P160
Irish Moos (travel)

I only have one face, no B list for me!

I think you need to try AOS, RazoRock, Haslinger and MdC.

I didn't mention AoS because I don't know where to put it. It's not quite A-list, but it's better than my other "not A-list" soaps. I LOVE the scent of their Sandalwood, but the performance is only just better than average.

As for Martin de Candre, I've tried it, and simply can't justify the price. Smells great, and worked quite well, but until I can get it for about half what it costs now, it'll remain a memory of sweet indulgence.

Thought it might be fun to show off the current shelf; it's been a while since I've bought anything new, so when I pulled a few things out from under the cabinet to re-stock the shelf, and saw the back of the cabinet, well... I started this thread :)

Here's what's out on the shelf right now; not a great picture, but it might give you a flavor of what's going on in my den, at least, the soaps. I'm OK on splashes right now, or at least I already know what I'm going to order there.

Top: none || Vitos Green & Red || L'Occitane Cade, Palmolive, La Toja, behind those, Speick & Valobra || ARKO
Middle: none || La Toja M in the OS mug || AoS Sandalwood in the BB mug || Mama Bear's Sleigh Ride (in April?!), Queen Charlotte Sandalwood leftovers
Bottom: none || MWF || Tabac || none

Some of this stuff used to live under the sink, but as I've run out of other stuff (or tossed out some junk) my shelf has become an... interesting mix.

Attachments

• $IMG_0121.jpg
    $IMG_0121.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 100
Some good suggestions already. I'd say take the next step and join the ranks of the crazies seeking out vintage soaps. Some of my best shaves come from products you simply can't buy on a store shelf new. Off the top of my head I'd recommend trying to find the following vintage soaps: Old Spice, Williams, Colgate Cup Soap, RL Safari, and Yardley. There are others but that should be a nice list to keep you busy! Personally, I'll put a shave from my puck of vintage OS against any product out there any day.

LOL!!!! plus 1 brutha!!

how about col. conk almond? i love the smell. good winter soap
and parker sandlewood shea butter for the summer.

I was sort of joking but I started out as something of a minimalist (of cheapo! I can't bring myself to paying $25-30 for shaving soaps. Williams, VDH, Colonel Conk Bay Rum, then a tube of Bigelow, and finally Cella! I either just don't make a big deal about it or I can pretty much shave with anything. Maybe as I try more of the A and B list soaps I will discover the errors of my ways! I had a sample of TOBS Mr. Taylor so I can see the need to try more TOBS. I'm intrigued by the high praise for RazoRock and MWF too. Geez, I told my wife I was good on shaving products for at least two years! What a dummy!

+1 on RazoRock. I bought some of the original formulas (Fresco, Cacao) and they are simply fantastic! MWF is also pretty fantastic. I haven't had any lathering issues since trying Mantic's tips.

Where in WY are you? My parents live in between Laramie and Cheyenne

I was sort of joking but I started out as something of a minimalist (of cheapo! I can't bring myself to paying $25-30 for shaving soaps. Williams, VDH, Colonel Conk Bay Rum, then a tube of Bigelow, and finally Cella! I either just don't make a big deal about it or I can pretty much shave with anything. Maybe as I try more of the A and B list soaps I will discover the errors of my ways! I had a sample of TOBS Mr. Taylor so I can see the need to try more TOBS. I'm intrigued by the high praise for RazoRock and MWF too. Geez, I told my wife I was good on shaving products for at least two years! What a dummy!

Thought it might be fun to show off the current shelf; it's been a while since I've bought anything new, so when I pulled a few things out from under the cabinet to re-stock the shelf, and saw the back of the cabinet, well... I started this thread :)

Here's what's out on the shelf right now; not a great picture, but it might give you a flavor of what's going on in my den, at least, the soaps. I'm OK on splashes right now, or at least I already know what I'm going to order there.

Top: none || Vitos Green & Red || L'Occitane Cade, Palmolive, La Toja, behind those, Speick & Valobra || ARKO
Middle: none || La Toja M in the OS mug || AoS Sandalwood in the BB mug || Mama Bear's Sleigh Ride (in April?!), Queen Charlotte Sandalwood leftovers
Bottom: none || MWF || Tabac || none

Some of this stuff used to live under the sink, but as I've run out of other stuff (or tossed out some junk) my shelf has become an... interesting mix.

That's a beautiful shelf! I am in the process of making more quickie shelves for my bathroom because of all the shaving stuff that I am getting. I am just using quick and dirty scrap pieces of lumber I have kicking around from other projects. Your shelf is an inspiration to re-think the quick and dirty approach. A lovely piece of wood-working. I assume it's a hand made shelf and not an IKEA wonder. If it's an IKEA wonder, then it is something to replicate in solid wood.

Anyway, I am not seeing Cella in your selection. I am just starting out in the DE wet shaving, though I tried it a while ago (20 years ago?) and only just ended up back in it now. I still had an Ever-Ready C40 brush from those days and I remember clearly using Williams I bought in CVS. Anyway, as a beginner I only have three soaps I am using now. Proraso white, Arko and Cella. Proraso was the first product I tried because of all the great reviews of it being fool-proof. It is that. It's a great soap, smells good (to me) and lathers great. I bought a stick of Arko a little later when I bought some brushes and it was almost a non-starter for me because of the smell. Once I shaved with it I became a convert and a rabid fan. I did air the Arko stick out for a few weeks before really using it, but what a shave! Just recently I decided to venture further into the world of fine shaving soaps. I figured Cella is the natural choice since I so love the tallow-based Arko and the Proraso Italian soft soap. I had a bit of trouble at first getting a good lather from Cella because I am mostly a face latherer, but then with help of B&B members I achieved lather nirvana with Cella in the bowl. I haven't tried to face lather it yet. I want to make sure I can consistently get good lather from the bowl first. I can definitely recommend Cella as an amazing shaving soap. Not sure if you ever tried it, but if not, do it. I guess there is P.160, which is even better (hard to believe). Make sure you achieve the lather it's capable of before making a judgement, though. At first it did not feel slick to me, but once I got it right, WOW! Amazing. At least as good as Arko and possibly even more cushion. I am now curios about bowl lathering Arko to the similar nirvana-like state. The beauty of Arko, of course is the form factor and face lathering simplicity, but I wonder if it can do even better as a bowl lather. I may cut a few pieces of Arko into a mug and see where that goes...

Anyway, Cella is my recommendation since I am not seeing it on your shelf. It could honestly fit right there with Arko on the A level.

Last edited:
It smells like lemon Pez and I love it! YMMV but for under $2 I suggest you try it

That all sounds well and good... the trouble is finding a way to try a single stick for that price range. Unless buying in bulk they seem to be $3-$5 + shipping, which makes trying it less accessible.

That's a beautiful shelf!

Solid wood, $20 from Lowe's. Surely you could make it for less than $10 in lumber and stain... but I haven't the skill or time.

As for Cella, I've tried it, and like Vitos better. I'm not a huge fan of the generic almond scent of this ilk of soap, but the performance is great. I've been told RazoRock is of the same consistency and performance, but with actual fancy scents.

My top b list soaps at the moment are Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamotto Neroli, Tabacco Verde, Mike's Natural, and Mystic Water. They have displaced my Adp, Mdc, LaToja Man. and a few other A list soaps for the time being in my shave den. Regards, Bradley TFS is only available from Barbiere di Figaro. 1st class vendor, imho, as are MW and Mike.

My unorthodox recommendations, though they are no surprise on this thread.

Institute Karite
Irisch Moos
Haslinger

All extremely impressive. Better them the orthodox A list stuff I've tried.

Did you already try Monsavon? I find it very easy lathering and gives me close shaves.

It does tend to get foamy instead of creamy which I do not find a good thing.

The scent is a very strong old fashioned menthol/mint scent.

Top Bottom