What's new

What are some things about wet shaving that makes you cringe?

Cringe worthy is how many men seem to have to start a review or explanation of a razors performance on this forum with comments that they took a shower and / or let something soak or “bloom” during their shower.

Could just be me but I find the regularity if that comment weird.

Call me a grumpy old dude. Now that Ive written this comment I will go and hop into a nice, hot shower

I did this with mitchell's wool and DR Harris soaps, once. Brings out their scents a bit more.

What makes me cringe is the fact that once I finish a shave, it's a while before I can shave again!

For me it's knowing I'll HAVE TO shave by the second day. Those trouble spots on neck starts growing out. It becomes a chore.

Accidentally grabbing the Proraso cream in the same drawer as my toothpaste when I go to brush my teeth. Haven't done it yet, but every time I open the drawer I think to myself I really ought to move one of them.

I went to get my hair cut yesterday. The place I go also offers face and head shaves. $31. I asked my stylist what she uses to do them. She showed me a Diane razor and a Magic Razor. And they use gel for lather because they don't have a lather machine yet. I don't think I'd spend the $31, though I'm sorely tempted to see if she can match the quality of my work with the Gillette Slim and a good fresh blade. But then I'd also be sorely tempted to bring my brush and a tube of cream and make her use them.

What would make me cringe is the thought of a barber using a brush to brush lather on my face that was used on other guys. Or buying and using a used animal hair brush. No thank you. Brushes are a buy-new product.

This sounds more like a salon than barbershop. If she can't even use a shavette, I'd stay away, personally.

Youtube shavers that face lather for 20 minutes.

Sounds like one of Geofatboy's videos, lol. "Figure 8 method".

The tendency to overcomplicate and analyze everything to death. It's just shaving: water, lather, and a blade.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
“I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin” . If I had a nickel for every time I read that here. Makes me cringe now

This sounds more like a salon than barbershop. If she can't even use a shavette, I'd stay away, personally.

It's a men-only place. The Diane and the Magic Razor are disposable blade straight razors that take a half DE. It's not legal to use a razor with a permanent blade here. Too unsanitary.

Straight razors. They both fascinate and frighten me. Much as I admire their exquisite craftsmanship--and the skill of those who use them--I am unable to touch one. This may hark back to an early viewing of Un Chien Andalou in which an eyeball sliced open with a straight. Then there's the whole matter of reflexively trying to catch a dropped razor . . .

As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."
Bobbled a straight one time while shaving. Wasn't pretty. Hope I never try to catch one again.

The tendency to overcomplicate and analyze everything to death. It's just shaving: water, lather, and a blade.

What are your suggestions for beard mapping and optimal blade exposure/support?

Just kidding.

But I do read that stuff...

This guy gets it! I just looked at your profile. I am from Westlake. My whole family still lives there off Columbia and Bradley, and in Lakewood and Avon. Cheers!

Last edited:
“I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin” . If I had a nickel for every time I read that here. Makes me cringe now

When I started DE shaving, I thought I had sensitive skin because of the irritation.
Then I realized a couple of things:

1. It was simply less-than-perfect technique.
2. I was doing a 3-pass shave plus a little buffing in problem areas every day.
A lot of shavers seem to need to skip a day in between shaves.

R

romsitsa

Using aggressive instead of effective.
Measuring blade gap instead of positive/negative exposure.
Knots larger than 24 mm.
Razors above 90g.

Adam

Razor/blade reviews from bearded guys shaving only their flat cheeks W/XTG....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Never criticize unless you can offer a better suggestion:001_302:

I don’t hold with that, myself, but I appreciate your consideration :)

Since you bring it up though, just off the top of my head, a variety of casual rating systems come to mind - ratings out of 10 or 5, A to F, Poor to Excellent.

Anything to keep a bunch of grown men from spending all their days comparing their faces to backsides.

Top Bottom