What's new

What are some things about wet shaving that makes you cringe?

The $20 price for a single block of alum at AoS.

Having any block of alum slip out of your hand, hit something hard and shatter.

Don't ever apply water to the alum, handle it with dry hands and you'll be far less likely to have it slip/slide away. If the skin you want to apply the alum to is wet, moist, all the moisture you need is already present.
dave

Accidentally knocking my straight razor off the shelf and chipping the blade :(
Bit more than a cringe moment.

download (4).jpeg

The thought of dropping my straight when shaving or stropping while barefooted.
Done it..... Thankfully all appendages are still attached.... Razor took no lasting damage, though when I screamed like a little girl as it fell to the floor my wife felt it necessary to take my man card for the day....

Accidentally grabbing the Proraso cream in the same drawer as my toothpaste when I go to brush my teeth. Haven't done it yet, but every time I open the drawer I think to myself I really ought to move one of them.

Also, how a some barbers (mostly European) DO NOT use hot towels or decent quality products when giving their customers a shave. They strictly rely on boar brush dipped in hot water and whatever cheap, low quality soap/cream they happen to have.

I went to get my hair cut yesterday. The place I go also offers face and head shaves. $31. I asked my stylist what she uses to do them. She showed me a Diane razor and a Magic Razor. And they use gel for lather because they don't have a lather machine yet. I don't think I'd spend the $31, though I'm sorely tempted to see if she can match the quality of my work with the Gillette Slim and a good fresh blade. But then I'd also be sorely tempted to bring my brush and a tube of cream and make her use them.

What would make me cringe is the thought of a barber using a brush to brush lather on my face that was used on other guys. Or buying and using a used animal hair brush. No thank you. Brushes are a buy-new product.

The thought of anything that tugs and pulls (especially if it plugs in).

Guys who shave with multi-blades by pressing the razor about a half inch into their faces.

What do people with moles, warts, and skin tags do?
That sounds like a gore-fest waiting to happen.

Great question and one I can answer, at least from my mole. I have a mole/skin tag at the base of my neck and I use to steer well clear when using cartridges however now with my de or straight I can go right over it without an issue. When I cut it before I’d have a right nightmare getting it to stop.

Great question and one I can answer, at least from my mole. I have a mole/skin tag at the base of my neck and I use to steer well clear when using cartridges however now with my de or straight I can go right over it without an issue. When I cut it before I’d have a right nightmare getting it to stop.
with a safety razor, I'm fine. when I was using some of my keener straights . . . well, lets just say that the mole you see now is no longer "original" to the owner. And yes, it was painless when it happened, and looked like a murder had taken place.

My cringe thing is.... and I could be wrong here, when people call de or straight shaving wet shaving after explaining that they’ve moved from cart razors.... no wonder they prefer de or straights! Dry shaving with a cart can’t be fun!

I’ve always classed any type of shaving with water and a cream/soap/gel or whatever at a wet shave and an electric being dry, even though some of these new electrics have lotions in them and can be used in the shower.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
When you make that mistake ... and are just waiting for it to start bleeding.

"Yeah, that's gonna hurt."

AA :yikes:

Top Bottom