What's new

What are some good jeans for under $100?

Wranglers at Walmart----they seem to have most sizes covered---regular and relaxed fit---straight blue and various shades of fading---fairly heavy duty.

$100 bucks gets you 6 pairs with change left over.

Levi's rarely last more than a few months ---with the crotch always ripping out first----when the price went out to $40 a pair, I stopped buying Levi's altogether---that was over 15 years ago and they lost me forever.

You know I haven't tried Wranglers, and I'm not sure if the cut would work for me or not, but I have looked them up and down in the store, and they seem to be really good basic inexpensive durable work pants. In spite of the fact that I've grown enamored of high quality selvedge denim, I gotta say, that's really what jeans SHOULD be. I love my Gustins, they are just about my perfect jean, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at a pair of Wranglers for $25 if they fit well and looked good on me. the 13MWZ looks a bit high waisted for my preference, but the 47MWZ in rigid might make a nice value jean. I might just try a pair on next time I'm at Tractor Supply.

I have to tell you, I was shocked at the (good) quality of JCPenney's Arizona brand jeans. I bought one pair of relaxed fit jeans on a whim because I they were on sale for something like $18 a pair & they are now among my favorite work jeans. Nice denim & a good fit, plus they're cheap!

I have to tell you, I was shocked at the (good) quality of JCPenney's Arizona brand jeans. I bought one pair of relaxed fit jeans on a whim because I they were on sale for something like $18 a pair & they are now among my favorite work jeans. Nice denim & a good fit, plus they're cheap!

I've not tried the jeans, but I've been really impressed with some of JC Penney's recent offerings. In particular their JCP line Pima Cotton T-shirts. Modern fit, really soft hand. They compare very favorably to my favorite Banana Republic Tees, but at $6-9 on sale they blow the BR shirts out of the water.

I really like the Lucky Brand jeans. They are under $100.00 bucks. They have pretty good coupons as well if you sign up for their E-mail.

+1 for selvedge, you can't beat the quality and comfort once they're broken in. you can usually find Naked and Famous for under or near $100. unbranded is made by N&F and even cheaper but they're hard to come by. selvedge can be annoying because it's generally not carried in stores and the sizing is way difference than all of the pre-washed jeans out there.

Costco $13.99

Whoever thinks they need to spend $100+ can buy 7 pairs of these!
+1
I have lost 80 lbs. in the last 18 months and have gone through four sizes. I bought two pair of each so that's 8 pairs. I thought when I reached my goal I would reward myself with a nicer pair, but now that I'm there, I see no reason to spend more. They hold up well and fit comfortably. Besides, don't you think that money would be better spent on stuff for your shave den?

how long does that $14 pair of jeans last? you'll easily get 2+ years out of a pair of $80 selvedge jeans wearing them every day.

$20 Referral codes on Gustin bring the $81 jeans down to $61.

The Japan Classic are a good mid-weight Japanese selvedge deniim at the $89 pricepoint. Should be pretty similar to the Classic I love

I'm recently backed the Heavy American 16.25oz Cone Mills denim with classic red selvedge ID. These are almost sold out, and I'm not sure if they will have more any time soon.

Looks like a great deal. It's difficult for me to tell from the pics - do the Japan Classic have those "built-in" wrinkles? I really really hate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite "made in the USA" manufacturer is Diamond Gusset out of Lynchburg, VA. Their jeans are top notch in my opinion and their Kevlar lined Defender jeans are my go to motorcycle pant. Their stonewashed jean is about $57. I'm partial to made in USA where possible.
Mike

raw selvedge never has "built in" anything. that comes from jeans being prewashed. raw denim looks like it just rolled off the loom. you create your own wrinkles over time :)

Looks like a great deal. It's difficult for me to tell from the pics - do the Japan Classic have those "built-in" wrinkles? I really really hate that.

No, they are raw denim which basically means it comes pristine with no goofy washes, sanding wrinkling or distressing of any type. Most denim that you buy comes with some form of distressing, or at least a wash to get the excess dye out. Raw denim is pristine unwashed denim waiting for you to break it in yourself. Prior to the 1980s this wasn't even a thing. All denim was raw denim, then some marketing genius discovered that new jeans were much softer if you washed them with pumice stones, and the next thing you knew it was nearly impossible to buy new unfaded jeans anywhere.

Last edited:
how long does that $14 pair of jeans last? you'll easily get 2+ years out of a pair of $80 selvedge jeans wearing them every day.

Good point. I can't really say if they would have lasted over two years with daily wear since I moved on to a smaller size long before that time. If you are getting that kind of mileage, I may get a pair and hope mine doesn't vary. I am all for buying US but when you're going through jeans that quickly it just doesn't make sense to spend much. I will say that these tend to fade fairly quickly especially considering that I only use cold water to wash them.

But who only buys one pair of jeans, let alone to wear the same pair every day for two years? I'm guessing in addition to being a miracle fabric, as a bonus, panhandlers won't bother you on the street either. :w00t:

$80 gets you 5 pairs of Walmart Wranglers---which will easily last 2 years and just think, you can wear a clean pair of pants everyday

The beauty of $15 jeans is if I catch them on a pallet or get grease on them or whatever---no skin off my back--I just go buy another pair of $15 jeans and then make cut offs for the summer with the bad pair.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My current dress jeans are from Banana Republic. They are around $100, but I got them for $50 at two different outlets.

$80 gets you 5 pairs of Walmart Wranglers---which will easily last 2 years and just think, you can wear a clean pair of pants everyday

The beauty of $15 jeans is if I catch them on a pallet or get grease on them or whatever---no skin off my back--I just go buy another pair of $15 jeans and then make cut offs for the summer with the bad pair.

i supposed it's a bit like a straight razor vs disposable blades. different strokes.

But who only buys one pair of jeans, let alone to wear the same pair every day for two years? I'm guessing in addition to being a miracle fabric, as a bonus, panhandlers won't bother you on the street either. :w00t:

Me. (sort of) I would prefer to have 2 really quality pair of jeans that I love than 7 pair I don't really like. Some denim-heads get a little extreme (in my opinion) about not washing their jeans for months at a time, to get higher contrast fades. I wash mine whenever they are dirty.

Edited to add: when my favorite jeans start blowing out I will mend them to keep them going longer. A sewing machine with a good zigzag stitch can work wonders on frayed jeans. I can usually get another year out of a pair of jeans after they start to blow out, before the mend to wear ratio gets out of hand.

Last edited:
I am in between camps here. Like @Omaha-BeenGlockin, @73mountaineer, and many others it is great to buy relatively cheap jeans, just as long as they fit comfortably. Don't have to worry so much about getting bleach, grease, glue, etc, on them, as they can be considered as disposable if need be. I know many guys only wear dark denim, especially in winter, but IMO some fading and/or fairing along the edges adds to their character.

I have also wanted some selvedge jeans, especially some made from fabric from my home state. I would like to own a few pairs, but it is hard to know the proper size. When I was looking online at places like Gustin, it appeared the waist/length combos were limited and one would need to roll up the cuffs. Not a deal breaker, but when faced with high probability of getting an awkward fit because of on-line purchasing, heading over to Walmart, JCP, Macy's, Old Navy, etc to get some off the rack is that much more attractive.

I have also wanted some selvedge jeans, especially some made from fabric from my home state. I would like to own a few pairs, but it is hard to know the proper size. When I was looking online at places like Gustin, it appeared the waist/length combos were limited and one would need to roll up the cuffs. Not a deal breaker, but when faced with high probability of getting an awkward fit because of on-line purchasing, heading over to Walmart, JCP, Macy's, Old Navy, etc to get some off the rack is that much more attractive.

Buying American is certainly a large part of the appeal for me, and that's part of what I am willing to pay a premium price for. Premium, but not super premium. I still can't afford to pay anything like $200 which is what a lot of American made selvage goes for. Sizing with Gustin is made somewhat easier with their comprehensive measurements on their fit guide. compare them to your best fitting pair of jeans, and you should be able to get a good fit. Still it's a little bit of a gamble, and you'll wait for them to be made. For my part, the fit came out spot on, which is a big part of the appeal for me, but I won't say I wasn't nervous about it until I actually got my first pair.

If fit or waiting are a big concern, but you really want a Cone Mills NC denim, Bonobos has a pretty wide range of jeans featuring Cone denim, including both selvage and non-selvage. Their prices are high, especially for the selvage jeans, but their excellent return policy means you can exchange them as many times as you need until you get the right fit, and their shipping is lightening fast. They do have sale codes from time to time that bring the prices down a bit, and first time buyers can usually get a referral code for $25 off your first purchase. Bonobos frowns upon posting those codes online, so you may have to know a Bonobos customer (or ask someone) to get the referral code.

Also Lands End Canvas makes an American made jean that is under $100, especially when they are running a sale code, though they do not specify if it's cone mills denim. I have not tried them, so I can't vouch for them. Diamond Gussett makes american made jeans as well, and again they don't specify Cone Mills. I tried them but unfortunately they did not fit me well.

Thanks @mattface for the link to Bonobos. To see their NC Cone denim options, as they do have a lot of different colors/combinations for sale. While clicking thru some links I was offered a discount, I did not accept but I assume I can come back later and find it again (hopefully). I will look more into their website but after seeing so many slim fit options it may not be the place for me, as now I am more of a relaxed fit. I dislike loose/blousy fit pair of jeans, but I am no longer levi's 501 skinny fit either. Thanks.

Top Bottom