What's new

What am I looking for? (vintage Gillette - modern equivalent?)

After using all the classic razors (Muehle, Merkur, EJ, etc.) years ago, I've landed on the Rockwell 6S and Tatara Nodachi (sometimes with Masamune baseplate) as the only razors I currently rotate.

I was gifted a Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip some years ago and never used it, last week I decided to give it a chance. While much milder than my Rockwell (plates 5/6) or Nodachi, it gave me a strangely comfortable 3-pass shave. Even without any prep, my face seems to like this head geometry.

While I do respect vintage razors, I'd like to find a modern option with:
- Similar head geometry
- Same type of angular, safety bar
- Stainless steel
- 3-piece razor instead of TTO

The Wolfman WR2 and Homelike Start razors seem to meet the above requirements. Are there any (other) modern razors out here that have been inspired by vintage Gillette razors?

I'm ready to get enabled, thanks! :pipe:

Last edited:
I have 2 examples for my boys waiting for them and continue to see NOS Pre-War Techs, never used on auction. You have to be patient. There are plenty of post-war examples. I see new in box post war ball ends all the time.

More common are the NOS travel Tech sets which were never used. If the handle is too short, put another handle on it. It is still an unused Tech head.

They are not stainless though.

Hope this helps.

I find that the Razorock Gamechanger .68P shaves just about identically to a Gillette Tech. If you want just a tad more aggression, try the Gamechanger .84P.

Why not get one AND a vintage Tech and compare? You can pick up an great condition Tech for around $20.

I find that the Razorock Gamechanger .68P shaves just about identically to a Gillette Tech. If you want just a tad more aggression, try the Gamechanger .84P.

Why not get one AND a vintage Tech and compare? You can pick up an great condition Tech for around $20.

Minus the weight, my .68 shaves exactly like my pre-war Tech also. Same angle as well.

Top Bottom