What's new

Newbie presentation (from France)

Hello!

Happy to join your community to discover how is the passion on the other side of the ocean ;)

I’m relatively new to this wet shaving world even if I’m 55.
After standard Gillette G2/Mach 3 when I was young, I tried electric shaving these last 3 years and this was terrible for my skin.

So 6 months ago, I tried DE razors.

Starting with a Merkur Futur and bad skin preparation… so it was just okay, but too agressive for a beginner, I had to focus too much. Also I found it to be very blade dependent

Then the Rockwell 2C R3+shims, then R4 then Tatara world and also I bought decent shaving soaps!!!

My favorite Tatara combination Masamune Cap and Nodachi SB for daily or 2 days growth and to gain efficiency Nodachi Cap and Masamune OC. Full Nodachi is really when I have time, a little too much for my sensitive skin.

Then… I discovered the Overlander brass, my daily driver. I love it, I can use almost every blades, I know it will do the job smoothly.

I would light a new razor for Christmas, but what could be an upgrade to the Overlander ?
I will jump in the Overlander discussion to find out.

Warm regards,
Arnaud

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you came to B&B!

proxy.php

<snip>
Then… I discovered the Overlander brass, my daily driver. I love it, I can use almost every blades, I know it will do the job smoothly.
I would light a new razor for Christmas, but what could be an upgrade to the Overlander ?

Welcome! You have made an excellent choice with the Overlander and you will be "going down the rabbit hole" to beat it.

The shaving history you have given is very helpful in suggesting another razor.

Take a look at the Lambda Athena. It's made in Greece and is an excellent razor that competes with much more expensive razors. There is a waiting list so it may not be possible for Christmas, but it is worth the wait.

Thanks for your welcome!

Titanium is a material I would like to try, and where a couple of American brands are famous, I think of Yates, Timeless, Blackland… but it is not a requirement, so… the Athena maybe :)

Hello Hms123, excellent!
And with “vieux” you’re not so far from the reality even if I have the brain of a 12 years old boy (my wife says that very often) ;)

Bonjour et bienvenue, j'aime bien votre pays!

I also really like the Overlander, you'll have a hard time topping it. I slightly prefer the Henson medium, I wasn't going to mention it since they're so similar, but you said you may be interested in titanium, so that is an option. The medium Henson is slightly less aggressive than the Overlander, the aggressive slightly more, depending on what you're looking for. And come to think of it, Le Maurice from Atelier Durdan right there in France is a stellar titanium option as well.

Thanks T Bone ;)
Le Maurice in the titanium version is very expensive, I have it also in mind.

The more I read B&B, the more I see that the Overlander is underrated in Europe, I’m happy to see here many discussions with direct comparison to it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community.

I have to second the Athena recommendations. What a lovely razor and stellar shaves.

I have an Atelier Durdan La Faulx in bronze. It is a pretty expensive option for a razor but it might be the best razor I've ever used. I have some great ones, including the Athena. The AC format is where I started so that might be a factor but I get such wonderful shaves with the La Faulx, I wanted to mention it.

Top Bottom