What's new

What am I doing wrong?

Hey guys,

I’ve started wet shaving about 8 months ago. Bought myself quality gear, great shaving products, took my time to gather knowledge, carefully practiced my skills... to cut a long story short, the transition went great.
As great as after a couple of months, the shaving necessity became a hobby.
For whatever reason, since about a month ago, I cannot manage to complete a shave without nicking my face badly. Especially on the neck area and the side areas of the mouth (between the moustache and the chin).
I haven’t changed anything, I’m using the same Feather AS-D2, with the same Feather blades, I’m changing them every 2 or 3 shaves, I’m using the same Chubby 2 brush and the same Mitchel’s wool fat shaving soap, the lather is better than ever, I’m not applying more pressure on my face than before, I’m not waiting more than 2 days between shaves, I’m always shaving after a shower, what am i doing wrong now that I haven’t done before? It’s starting to get really frustrating, demotivating and it’s pissing me off! ☹️
The first pass goes well, but after the second pass, my neck starts to bleed... And I have no words to express how gentle I’m passing the razor, my face is always lathered, etc..
I would be so grateful someone could enlighten me!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If all the shaving variables remain constant, and the results change, it might have nothing to do with your shaving technique.
Change in your skin -new laundry soap? New diet? Illness? Pets? Allergies? New clothes?
Change in water -chemicals, hardness
Change in location -recently moved? Changed jobs?
Change of partner -new cologne/perfume? New partner?
I'm not a doctor, but you should probably talk to one.
Best of luck!

Very peculiar. Time to change one variable. Preferably the razor or, more affordable, the type of blade. You already are well aware how sharp feathers are, but if there’s a change to your skin or something medically, a derby or something should help you understand whether or not its just the sharp blade. The AS-D2 can cut you, but it’s mild of course.

Another thought, perhaps try some skin stretching. Alternatively if you’re already doing that, stop. But remember to change only one variable at a time.

If the lather is "better than ever", then it has changed. What's different?

And there's one other component here: your skin. Are you hydrating effectively (from the inside out)?

Sorry for the frustration...

Nothing (that I’m aware of) has changed. Thanks for the advice
If all the shaving variables remain constant, and the results change, it might have nothing to do with your shaving technique.
Change in your skin -new laundry soap? New diet? Illness? Pets? Allergies? New clothes?
Change in water -chemicals, hardness
Change in location -recently moved? Changed jobs?
Change of partner -new cologne/perfume? New partner?
I'm not a doctor, but you should probably talk to one.
Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try to change one variable at a time.
Very peculiar. Time to change one variable. Preferably the razor or, more affordable, the type of blade. You already are well aware how sharp feathers are, but if there’s a change to your skin or something medically, a derby or something should help you understand whether or not its just the sharp blade. The AS-D2 can cut you, but it’s mild of course.

I did stop. It didn’t improve the result.
Another thought, perhaps try some skin stretching. Alternatively if you’re already doing that, stop. But remember to change only one variable at a time.

I suppose my lathering technique improved. My skin has always been sensitive, so I’ve paid great attention to hydration. Same creams, nothing changed
If the lather is "better than ever", then it has changed. What's different?

And there's one other component here: your skin. Are you hydrating effectively (from the inside out)?

Sorry for the frustration...

Hey guys,

I’ve started wet shaving about 8 months ago. Bought myself quality gear, great shaving products, took my time to gather knowledge, carefully practiced my skills... to cut a long story short, the transition went great.
As great as after a couple of months, the shaving necessity became a hobby.
For whatever reason, since about a month ago, I cannot manage to complete a shave without nicking my face badly. Especially on the neck area and the side areas of the mouth (between the moustache and the chin).
I haven’t changed anything, I’m using the same Feather AS-D2, with the same Feather blades, I’m changing them every 2 or 3 shaves, I’m using the same Chubby 2 brush and the same Mitchel’s wool fat shaving soap, the lather is better than ever, I’m not applying more pressure on my face than before, I’m not waiting more than 2 days between shaves, I’m always shaving after a shower, what am i doing wrong now that I haven’t done before? It’s starting to get really frustrating, demotivating and it’s pissing me off! ☹️
The first pass goes well, but after the second pass, my neck starts to bleed... And I have no words to express how gentle I’m passing the razor, my face is always lathered, etc..
I would be so grateful someone could enlighten me!

Cheers!

Sir Black Tie, tell us, what is your shave prep?

Another thing you might consider, how are you taking care of your skin in between shaves? I found that daily shaving was drying my skin and I started using ASB instead of AS splash and it improved, besides using a moisturizer at night before going to bed, but all sugestions above are also good, maybe try to give your neck a break and dont shave for a couple of days, if that is not an option then go just with the grain on your problem areas, a comfortable shave always looks better than a bloody BBS!

Shower, face scrub, face wash, warm lather. Tried with pre-shave oil, it didn’t change much

Try a preshave face lather and rinse with any transparent glycerin soap. This can leave a slick film over your skin. Take especial care to lather your neck area as well.

This sounds silly, but are you drinking enough water? Better hydration leads to better skin, and it’s worth considering since you put yourself on the sensitive scale. Just a thought.

Actually.. I’m not drinking enough water. Never thought of it! That would be a great thing to start with! Thanks for the advice
This sounds silly, but are you drinking enough water? Better hydration leads to better skin, and it’s worth considering since you put yourself on the sensitive scale. Just a thought.

"What about mapping the way the hairs grow (direction) and try varying your approach?"

Mapping your beard is an excellent idea if you haven't already done so and if your shave hasn't already been so informed.

Thank you both, that was my first concern when I started wet shaving as I knew I shouldn’t go against the grain on the first pass.
"What about mapping the way the hairs grow (direction) and try varying your approach?"

Mapping your beard is an excellent idea if you haven't already done so and if your shave hasn't already been so informed.

Top Bottom