What's new

What after R41?

Either this above or the beast is the iKon Tech

proxy.php
Excellent pictures showing blade exposure.
Looking at the pictures I really like the geometry of the IKon TECH. It has the most exposure. Also it has a visibly shallower angle of attack. Better for slicing hairs. As apposed to the other 2. They have more of a scraping angle.

I may have to pick one up.

Excellent pictures showing blade exposure.
Looking at the pictures I really like the geometry of the IKon TECH. It has the most exposure. Also it has a visibly shallower angle of attack. Better for slicing hairs. As apposed to the other 2. They have more of a scraping angle.

I may have to pick one up.
IF you can get yourself iKon Tech, I’m aware they’ve stopped making them.

if you get along well with the R41 WTG and XTG, i recomend a 3'rd ATG or XTG clean up pass with intense stretching. You wont need anything else after that.

Feather AC shavette FTW.

Two types are currently available: the DX, which shaves almost like a straight razor, and the SS, which has a little bulge near the place it clamps the blade that makes it smoother and less likely to bite.

The DX is way out of your price range, but an SS can be had off Amazon for around $70.

Get a pack of Schick Proline blades. Don't worry about the cost. Each blade lasts me four weeks.

Hi guys, sorry delay, i am in a process of changing a job so it is little hectic right now so i will try to sum it up in one post:

Regarding straight razors i have considered it but i think it is too much job for me (strope, hone, wet stone sharping), maybe later if when i have more time (i imagine myself with straight razor and kids and wife randomly banging in the bathroom, sometimes it is hard to concentrate even with DE )

Also, with some 300+ different DE blades in my stash i thing i will stay in DE for some time now..

I like idea of Ikon Tech, but as it is not in production anymore it is hard to find any, so if someone i willing to sell me one :)

As someone wrote, R41 is real love/hate relationship, my last shave was superb and to be honest sometimes it seems like i don't know what more i could ask, it is a 2 pass razor and actually you do not need to go ATG.. it leaves only few whiskers and it is almost BBS shave (and it seems to me that it works better with 2+ days stubble)

I will definitely try to put one shim below and see how this will work (i will try to take off 1 mm with wheel grinder to avoid parts flying around)

If no one has mentioned it already, consider a Mühle Rocca. All stainless steel, under $100, and is extremely comfortable and efficient. I love mine!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am using my R-41 all this month. So come next month I will use the IKon. Really looking forward to it.

Ride the cap until you get the feel if the razor. Then see how a steep angle (ride the bar) feels to you.

No pressure is key to a comfortable shave.

I plan to also try a Bolzano blade. It's my preferred blade for the Fatip Grande (MK1 and MK2) which are both very efficient razors.

YMMV :)

Try a feather blade in the r41

Try ATG pass first. There us no exact science to this as everyone's face is the ultimate jury and we're all different.

Moreover...cuts or weepers? Soap or cream? Yes that makes a difference I've found.

Try a feather blade in the r41

Try ATG pass first. There us no exact science to this as everyone's face is the ultimate jury and we're all different.

Moreover...cuts or weepers? Soap or cream? Yes that makes a difference I've found.
Sorry, Feather is a no go for me in R41, i do not know why but it's simply rough for me, i do not know how else to describe it, best so far for me are Gillette 7 o clock yellow and Perma Sharp (the best for me), with them i have zero cuts

I use Tabac soap and Cella soft soap most of the time

Consider an Ikon Standard also. It is far more efficient than the Open Comb deluxe. Still not as aggressive as the Ikon Tech though.
I considered it but if i buy head only it is 89 EUR/complete razor 105 EUR...
I ordered vintage Gillette new OC for 30 USD on e-bay just to try it, and if i do not like it i guess i will sell Gillette for same price again :)

Top Bottom