What's new

What a difference a stone makes!

I had been practicing my honing on these old King soakers that were given to me by a friend. I had a 1200, 800 and an unknown 220. All three were old soakers, likely purchased 20 years ago. I flattened them and went to work on a vintage Imperial that had a nick in the bevel. These old stones were great because they allowed me to practice my stroke and develop a bit of muscle memory. But they don't slurry and they don't hold slurry made with a Nagura. And they don't hold water - thirsty stones! I would spend two or three half hour sessions each day with these stones. The practice was great but after a few days the nick wasn't going anywhere. It just kept laughing back up at me.

Today I got my Naniwa Professional series stones. These used to be called choseras. I got a 600 and 800 for heavy lifting only. The beaters I get off the bay for practice usually have nicks. Well it was quite an experience. These stones hold slurry and water and they can cut! In about 20 minutes, the nick was almost gone. I would have removed it completely, but I have a real job so I will get back to it tomorrow.

Most importantly, by holding water and slurry, the blade rides under the water and stays sucked to the stone. This makes the stroke so much easier and faster. What a difference a stone makes!

I had been practicing my honing on these old King soakers that were given to me by a friend. I had a 1200, 800 and an unknown 220. All three were old soakers, likely purchased 20 years ago. I flattened them and went to work on a vintage Imperial that had a nick in the bevel. These old stones were great because they allowed me to practice my stroke and develop a bit of muscle memory. But they don't slurry and they don't hold slurry made with a Nagura. And they don't hold water - thirsty stones! I would spend two or three half hour sessions each day with these stones. The practice was great but after a few days the nick wasn't going anywhere. It just kept laughing back up at me.

Today I got my Naniwa Professional series stones. These used to be called choseras. I got a 600 and 800 for heavy lifting only. The beaters I get off the bay for practice usually have nicks. Well it was quite an experience. These stones hold slurry and water and they can cut! In about 20 minutes, the nick was almost gone. I would have removed it completely, but I have a real job so I will get back to it tomorrow.

Most importantly, by holding water and slurry, the blade rides under the water and stays sucked to the stone. This makes the stroke so much easier and faster. What a difference a stone makes!
Love the real job comment!!!!

Kings get no love :p

It may be shocking to think, but many years ago before you could go online and find much of anything about honing much less forums full of aficionados, I started with King stones and a chromium oxide loaded strop. I had no problems. In fact, biggest problems was when I later got into natural stones and trying to make an edge as good as my CrOx. CrOX also gets NO love here :p I at one point experimented with an old hard ark (most call a translucent here) and really clicked my edge up a notch from the 6k King (JIS so like 8kish). That is when I went to read online......and the consensus was that arks were not suited for razors and the Norton 4/8 was the way to go LOL. It bought the silly Norton and it was quite a few years before I ever wanted to read on a razor forum.

I did fine with the low-rep King stones. I found the Norton to be tolerable at best. CrOx is just fine regardless what you may read. And Arks are great finishers when done right.

Sometimes the results are not just the equipment. A lot of rifles are sold by folks who can’t shoot :) But the choseras sure do smoke my old king stones in about every way but price!! Speed, flatness, scratch pattern, no soak - you name it.

I had a king 1k. I also tried many others in that grit. The king was the worst. I soaked it for three days and then left it outside in freezing temperatures. Boom!

I had cheap old soaker stones that I use to use on kitchen knives and pocket knives before I got into straight razors. In fact, I got them from my dad before I got into razors at all (I was 10 or so, so no shaving). The agreement was that I would get sharpening stones, so long as I agreed to keep the kitchen knives usable. I used them for years and they did little more than keep an edge reasonably sharp. It was a world of difference when I got a my Shapton, and another world of difference when I decided to finish my kitchen knives on finer natural hone.

I recently got out my old King 6k and have used it under running water prior to a Thuri or Ark; works well no need to soak.
I never liked the 1k or the Norton 1k. A dressed soft Ark or a Shapton 1.5k are the bees knees prior to the 6k.

Top Bottom