What's new

Welcome, New Guys Come Say hello

Its not just me, lots of us have seen many many new people come on into the nib in the last little bit, heck we've even had a few members make their first B&B post right here in this area, How cool is THAT !

A few PIFs big and small have had HUGE interest in here from members that tells me we have a lot of lurkers looking around I thought why not stop by and say hello to the guys here. It wont be long before you find the nib section has many things in common with the shave section, with inks, paper, modern and vintage pens, lots of collectables, as well as accessories there are plenty of things to look into and keep your interests going for a long time

I got myself into calligraphy as well taught myself right here, and was over joyed to find other members into it as well and start their journey right on beside me

we have a lot of passionate members, lots of knowledgeable guys who can help with all kinds of questions or projects, and it all starts with a Hello

Im curious to see just how many and who is out there, so why not stop in for a second or two, say hello, and let us know a bit about you NIB history, your interests in pens, what your plans are what you have heck anything at all, its nice to meet you all

Welcome to the NIB,

Syn

I'm probably not as knowledgeable as some of the other members, but I will definitely try to help out where i can. I'm also not as hardcore as Syn, and haven't jumped head first into the calligraphy stuff yet. But the more he posts his stuff i might soon. For me the nib has got me back to writing cursive, which I haven't done in years, I actually started writing in a journal because of it. There is also a snail mail pen pal program thing going on here in the nib. That someone can point you guys toward if your interested in.

I guess I still qualify as a n00b. Been hanging around here for a few months now but still know nothing about FPs. I've picked up a few cheapies (Wallity, Jinhao) and my dad gave me an old Sheaffer cartridge pen (that I ED) and a Parker 21(?). I find that I like larger nibs and am intrigued by the italic/stub pens.

I'm so new to FP's , a week perhaps?
As of now just have a Lamy safari, waiting for another pen, still using the catridge it came with.
my handwriting is not nearly as good as some of the posted samples, but my standards are low ,:blush: I can actually read my writing now! ;)
BTW how long does a catridge last?:laugh:.
I like the looks of parker 51's
but also like the look alike hero's , one or the other or both is propably going to be my next purchase.

Into FPs for month to 6 weeks. I've got a Pilot Metropolitan that I adore with the right ink. I own a Platinum Plasair (F nib) that's okay, but doesn't feel as good in my hand as the Metro. A Pilot Parallel 3.8 mm that I use for highlighting stuff at work. Lastly, a Pilot 78G that I'm swapping the medium nib in the Metro with the fine nib in the 78G.

The SWMBO has several Pilot Preppy markers she uses to grade her student's work with.

Finally, I gave our church pastor a Platignum FP as a 5 year anniversary gift with several ink samples from Goulet.

If the 78G F nib allows me to use various non-Pelikan inks with a narrow line and less bleed through in the Metro, I'll give the 78G with the medium nib to my daughter's boyfriend.

Cool beans hello guys... vreddy a cart depends on paper and how much you write and how wet the ink flows... anywhere from a week to a lot more depending on how much you use it really, you'll really need to gauge for yourself how much your going to get out of it, since everyone is so different

Wow Will you've been busy what's next for you?

Dcobranchi what's your favourite in the bunch so far?

Wow Will you've been busy what's next for you?

Inks. The SWMBO has her set of samples to go through, but I only have a sample of Diamine Denim and a bottle of Pelikan Royal Blue. I want to explore more of the blue-black inks for work. And try more highlighter colors, though the Pelikan Duo Yellow in my Parallel is really good.

Hello all. I have a relatively new interest in FP's, in fact I just ordered a Pilot Metro and a set of ink samples from Goulet, I am still waiting for it to come in. I made the decision to go with the Metro based in part on reading posts in the NIB, so thank you all for that. I guess I am interested in FP's for many of the same reasons I like wet shaving - I like the practice of it, and the ritual. I enjoy trying new pieces that go along with it and I have always been a person comfortable with doing something outside the normal (in fact, sometimes thats the sole reason I do it!). I assume many of you have the same draw to pens.

Anyway, I have been on B&B for a year and a half or so, been wet shaving most of my life. I have a diverse set of interests from cars and tattoos, to wet shaving and colognes. I live outside of Philadelphia with my wife and two daughters (5.5 and 1.5 years old). I work in IT in the finance industry, and I brew beer at home when I get time. Thanks for all your posts and knowledge, looking forward to starting down a new road with FP's.

Started my fountain pen journey about 10 years ago when my aunt gave me a Sheaffer Prelude FP for my graduation. About a month ago I found it in the box still loaded with the original cartridge:scared:. I started browsing here and found out about inks and other FP's. That kinda kicked me into full blown FPAD. Since last month, I have picked up 2 Lamy Vista's, 1 Safari, 1 TWSBI VAC 700, a TWSBI 540, and a lot of ink samples. Plus I have the original Prelude. Now I am looking toward something vintage, and maybe a Pelikan (I love Green).

I am working on my handwriting, but it can be difficult (I'm a lefty).

Since this AD kicked in, I have started taking all of my notes at work by hand instead of with a computer.

Welcome NOOBS! I've been hanging out in the NIB since before I got my first FPs at Christmastime. My current inventory is a Platinum Preppy ED with X-Feather, Sheaffer's Touchdown (empty :thumbdown), and an Esterbrook J with some kind mixture of Diamine Eclipse and PR Sonic Blue (I think). I don't recommend doing that, it happened on accident, but so far no issues. I also have the Pilot Parallel collection and have been slowing learning Gothic printing.

I'm just getting started and have been asking (too many) questions. So far, I have a pilot metropolitan, and have a restored parker 21 and a trio of hero 616s in the mail. If I like the heros, I will leave one of them at work, and use the 21 and the metro for home use. I'm also looking into some cheap dip pens to start experimenting with. This stuff comes on fast, doesn't it?

I got a nice ink PIF in the sabbatical thread, but haven't finished my first cartridge so I can start playing around with them all. Next week should be exciting.

That's interesting because this last week was my first venture into the Nib and fountain pens. Like most, I bought a Lamy Safari from Goulet Pens and love it. I went down the local antiques/junk store this week and picked up a Parker 45 and 25 for $5 each...both seem to be in good same and I'm waiting on a couple of converters to try them out. Fountain pens are something different and make writing a little more enjoyable.

Dcobranchi what's your favourite in the bunch so far?

I haven't found the ideal (for me) pen, yet. The Wality/Airmail 69T holds a ton of ink but the fine nib is a bit scratchy. OTOH, the Jinhao X750 has a nice smooth medium nib and is a very pretty pen. I bought it in black from the 'Bay for something like $8 shipped. The one drawback is that the converter is just pretty poor and holds very little ink. If I could get the 69T with the X750's nib, I think I'd be golden.

I haven't found the ideal (for me) pen, yet. The Wality/Airmail 69T holds a ton of ink but the fine nib is a bit scratchy. OTOH, the Jinhao X750 has a nice smooth medium nib and is a very pretty pen. I bought it in black from the 'Bay for something like $8 shipped. The one drawback is that the converter is just pretty poor and holds very little ink. If I could get the 69T with the X750's nib, I think I'd be golden.

Piston fillers hold a lot of ink.. other then a process called eye dropping they are abouy your best bet, but not all that cheap as far as weighing against a chinese pen price... you can buy better converters for them though

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Inks. The SWMBO has her set of samples to go through, but I only have a sample of Diamine Denim and a bottle of Pelikan Royal Blue. I want to explore more of the blue-black inks for work. And try more highlighter colors, though the Pelikan Duo Yellow in my Parallel is really good.
Pelikan Royal Blue knocked Baystate Blue as my favorite blue. I will be out of my sample soon (will be ordering it) and Diamine Denim sample is on deck.

agreed! I'll be posting up a Noob pif pretty soon, so all of you keep your eyes out, and good luck getting the FPAD monster off your back!

Awesome Nos, spreading the love is way cool, I was kind of kidding a little bit ago but after seeing some of Daves PIF go nuts and wait till you see yours go Nos, liberty's as well it really does look to be the year the NIB hits fifth gear

Top Bottom