What's new

Weight Lifting Routine

My program for the last 6-8 months has been 4 days/week.

mon: power snatch, snatch pulls, snatch shrugs, back squats, BTN snatch presses, drop snatches
tues: power c+j, clean pulls, front squats, presses/push presses, rack jerks, triceps extensions
thurs: snatches, snatch pulls, back squats, BTN Sn presses, drop snatches
fri: c+j, clean pulls, hang clean shrugs, front squats, rack jerks, push presses, pendlay rows

This was working pretty well, but now I doubt I'll be able to get out to train 4x/week so I whenever I can get out I Snatch, C+J and Squat. I will be adding in some of my accessory stuff once I adjust to the new template.

I should say my goals are to qualify for Nationals in Olympic Lifting. My goal is in the next year.

Right now I'm hovering around 100kg BW so I have some weight I can put on. (weight class tops out at 105kg)

My program for the last 6-8 months has been 4 days/week.

mon: power snatch, snatch pulls, snatch shrugs, back squats, BTN snatch presses, drop snatches
tues: power c+j, clean pulls, front squats, presses/push presses, rack jerks, triceps extensions
thurs: snatches, snatch pulls, back squats, BTN Sn presses, drop snatches
fri: c+j, clean pulls, hang clean shrugs, front squats, rack jerks, push presses, pendlay rows

This was working pretty well, but now I doubt I'll be able to get out to train 4x/week so I whenever I can get out I Snatch, C+J and Squat. I will be adding in some of my accessory stuff once I adjust to the new template.

I should say my goals are to qualify for Nationals in Olympic Lifting. My goal is in the next year.

Right now I'm hovering around 100kg BW so I have some weight I can put on. (weight class tops out at 105kg)

Wow, nice job! Keep us posted!

I've been keeping my lifting pretty simple-upper body one day, lower body the next time, always doing abs, and averaging 3-4 times a week. Is there anything wrong with this approach?

I've been keeping my lifting pretty simple-upper body one day, lower body the next time, always doing abs, and averaging 3-4 times a week. Is there anything wrong with this approach?

One thing I was told is it only matters if it works for you. I never step on a scale other than when I weighed myself at a doctors appointment the other day. The guys I workout with say not to bother weighing yourself rather take periodic pictures (it took a while to get use to that but it is more motivating than stepping on scale) and go by how your clothes fit. If I went by what the weight I lost it wouldn't be much in all reality but dropping from a 40 to 36 (maybe 34 now) dropping bodyfat % is what is what I go off of. Pictures though are the best!

I would stick to multi-joint, compound movements for the "meat and potatoes" of your workouts. The isolation stuff can be done after for the "seasoning" if you will, but without the big moves, you aren't getting enough stimulus to promote as much muscle growth as you could.

Last edited:
The guys I workout with say not to bother weighing yourself rather take periodic pictures (it took a while to get use to that but it is more motivating than stepping on scale) and go by how your clothes fit.

Cool, I'll try that!

I would stick to multi-joint, compound movements for the "meat and potatoes" of your workouts. The isolation stuff can be done after for the "seasoning" if you will, but without the big moves, you aren't getting enough stimulus to promote as much muscle growth as you could.

Do bench press and chin ups count as compound movements? The gym here at my apartment doesn't have any barbells.

I'm a fan of Rippetoe's Starting Strength and Practical Programming; the Texas method has worked well for me. I've added some serious weight to my lifts in the four months I've been using it. Basically, it is three full body workouts a week focused on core lifts - deadlifts, squats, bench press and military press - and some Olympic lifts. One workout is for volume, another recovery and the last intensity.

An additional benefit I've not read about is that lifting three days a week allows me to run three days a week. Consequently, I am stronger, leaner and feel much more fit since switching from lifting 5 or 6 days a week.

You can read about it at: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method

Do bench press and chin ups count as compound movements? The gym here at my apartment doesn't have any barbells.

Yes, a compound movement is any one which relies on multiple joints and muscle groups.

Last edited:
They sure do. If the bench press is a barbell (and not a machine) is there room to borrow the bar from that station and use it for overhead presses, front squats, power cleans, rows, etc?

And I'll second the Texas Method.

There's room, but there's no bar--just dumbbells, so I'm not sure how much that limits what I can do there.

dumbbells IMO are much better for bench because you have a better range of motion. Also, look up concept excercises with dumbbells, you can get a great workout there too.

you can use the dumbbells to do all of the same compound exercises as barbells. However, some of the issues with dumbbells vs. barbells are: Once you get up in weight, dumbbells will become exceedingly difficult to maneuver into a starting positions (such as bench press), correct form is much harder to manage with dumbbells (especially in movements like cleans and deadlifts), and the barbell can support much, MUCH more weight than dumbbells will allow.

Re: barbells vs. dumbbells - barbells allow you to handle more weight and greater adaptive stimulus. Dumbbells, however, also work supporting muscles harder. So another way to stress your body is to switch, where possible, from barbell to dumbbells every third work out.

And if all you have are dumbbells you just need to get a little more creative, but you can do all the same things. Instead of cleans do dumbbells snatches (I would think DB cleans would be awkward...).

Just think in terms of squat, push, pull and you will do just fine. Throw some bodyweight/gymnastics stuff at the end, maybe some sprinting and you will have no complaints.

Check these complexes with dumbbells. They are great and a lot of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comments on the video.. make sure if you are going to go the circuit training route do each maneuver correctly (i.e. full range of motion with perfect form) not like this yahoo in the video. When you get to muscle failure, which is the goal of high rep/low weight workouts, your form is going to fall apart quickly so don't sacrifice doing the exercise right for speed and completing the set.

p.s. those are cute gloves he's wearing. I wonder if they make them in pink.

your form is going to fall apart quickly so don't sacrifice doing the exercise right for speed and completing the set.

p.s. those are cute gloves he's wearing. I wonder if they make them in pink.

yeah that.

He must be allergic to calluses

I've been doing stronglifts for about a month now. Weights are just getting to the point to where they are feeling heavy.

I've been trying to slowly change my diet. I went full-on health food a few years ago and lost about 25lbs, but I fell off of the bandwagon.

My routine is strength orientated, though that does not detract from aesthetically pleasing outcomes (e.g. it would not be the worse thing in the world for some of the people here to pick up such regimes - SS or SL 5x5 or 5/3/1 as I'm not impressed with some of the splits added here).

Anyway, this is Derek Poundstone, who is the top for my personal sport and also the physique that I wish to obtain.

[jpg]http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/at...poundstone-appreciation-thread-poundstone.jpg[/jpg]

If you know who Smolov is, you know my routine. Too convoluted to add here.

I'm a fan of Rippetoe's Starting Strength and Practical Programming; the Texas method has worked well for me. I've added some serious weight to my lifts in the four months I've been using it. Basically, it is three full body workouts a week focused on core lifts - deadlifts, squats, bench press and military press - and some Olympic lifts. One workout is for volume, another recovery and the last intensity.

I'll second this. Rippetoe is really smart and the book is well put together for someone starting out or even an expert. Currently I'm sampling a linear progression very similar to what Rip has in starting strength. In ten days I have 4 major lift days: squat and press, deadlift and bench, squat and pullup, deadlift. Each of those days has a short (under 10 min) condition component after the major lifts. I have one oly lift day and one "field work" day. The other four days are rest. I test in June to see if someone who's been lifting for a few years can see much benefit from a linear progression.

Zor

Top Bottom