What's new

Dumbbell exercises

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I've been training with weights for a few months now but I am not seeing a lot of results (I know, it takes time). I understand that it depends on which muscles I want to target and also what I eat will influence the muscle growth.

I am wondering if I could add something to my routine. I use dumbbells to train (they came with the house when I bought it 5 years ago, I found them under the staircase).

I use the same weights for my exercises (maybe that's bad) but I feel my muscles moving and forcing so it should be okay (without pulling anything).

My dumbbell routine is:
  1. Bicep curls
  2. Shoulder press
  3. Tricep extensions
  4. Chess press
  5. Rope pull down (with dumbbells instead of a rope or cable).
  6. Romanian deadlifts
I do that set, 10-12 reps between 3 to 5 sets.

I'm trying to target the arms, shoulders, and back. Every day I either run or walk a good deal. I sometimes do a few pushups if I feel like it. It's not regular in every session.

Maybe lateral raises or shrugs would help? Or something else?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Train your largest muscle group first and train the smaller muscle groups after. For instance if your doing presses for your chest you are already using your triceps a lot in the pressing movement. So if you were to train your triceps first, before your chest they will be fatigued before your chest even gets anywhere near the work out it can take. Stretch and warm up before you even lift a weight. This will help you to stay injury free, if there is such a thing. Split your routine. Train back and biceps then a day of rest. Then chest or shoulders with triceps then a day of rest. Hope any of this helps. Oh and also keep the push ups going.

Not a fitness expert, just casual.

First thing, if you're training for strength, it usually involves progressive overload of your muscles, followed by periods of rest and recovery. The load has to be tailored to the muscles being worked. If you use the same light weights for all movements, and the same schedule of sets/reps, you will just be toning your muscles a little bit.

If you want to build overall strength, think about doing compound movements, i.e. movements that involve many muscles at the same time. This is also more time efficient than isolation movements, that target only a single muscle at a time. A well-planned program of compound movements encourages a natural, balanced physique, not overly focused on individual body parts.

Some of the best compound exercises for strength training are pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, squats, deadlifts and bench presses. Core exercises are also important, for instance v-ups, planks, etc. but the core does get exercised in many compound movements, also.

You can do many of these exercises with body weight only, particularly at the beginning. So, you don't need much equipment. The body weight version of the bench press is the push-up, for instance. Your own body weight may be too much initially, but there are ways around that.

You can get some good books with progressive programming from beginner to advanced, such as Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy, by Bret Contreras. He gives some workout templates you can use to plan your program, and good descriptions of a variety of exercises.

Think about progressive body weight training as the main program. You can still use the dumbbells in a supporting role.

I've been training with weights for a few months now but I am not seeing a lot of results (I know, it takes time). I understand that it depends on which muscles I want to target and also what I eat will influence the muscle growth.

I am wondering if I could add something to my routine. I use dumbbells to train (they came with the house when I bought it 5 years ago, I found them under the staircase).

I use the same weights for my exercises (maybe that's bad) but I feel my muscles moving and forcing so it should be okay (without pulling anything).

My dumbbell routine is:
  1. Bicep curls
  2. Shoulder press
  3. Tricep extensions
  4. Chess press
  6. Romanian deadlifts

I'm trying to target the arms, shoulders, and back. Every day I either run or walk a good deal. I sometimes do a few pushups if I feel like it. It's not regular in every session.

I do the exact same routine. Helps with the side effects of the meds I take and at age 70 helps me keep some muscle tone. I also bike ride. 1 hour mostly flat and more mental than physical.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A lot of what you choose is going to depend on your age, weight and overall general health as you start. Nothing wrong with taking it easy at first and building up as you go. Kind of a crawling before you walk kinda thing.

Physiological evidence is showing that weight resistance training is a very beneficial thing to do for us folks who are aging in years. But it definitely is important to start easy when beginning. If you are older, being careful to not over train and exert or injure muscles should be the focus.

Incorporating a habit of beginning each weight training exercise with warming up the specific muscle group you want to target with a set of lighter weights before heavier weights will really go a long way in protecting or reducing muscle injuries. A good stretch routine immediately after will do the same for ligaments, tendons and muscles.

Make sure to have several days a week set aside for this training along with understanding that having a couple of rest days in order to recuperate is as important as workout days. Remembering that one’s body grows in size and strength during rest & recovery not working out. Working out tears it down, it’s the rest & recovery that builds. :)

Supplementation really helps, especially protein supplementation if older and looking to increase muscle mass. Muscle mass will even work for you as you sleep by feeding on body fat. The more muscle you gain, the more fat it needs to eat. :)

There is strength training and bodybuilding. This is why you see competitive powerlifter’s sticking to the few compound movements of chest presses, squats and deadlifts in order to build an overall foundation of strength and size.

Competition bodybuilders focus on isolating their muscles, biceps, triceps, glutes, chest, shoulders, etc, in order to emphasize the shape, look and size of thei muscles.

For us, a balanced mixture of both is a good plan because who doesn’t want to be stronger, feel good and look good? Throwing in a couple a sessions a week on a bike ride, slow jog or swim in the pool for our heart & lungs will blend in well along side swinging those dumbbells around. :)

I actually haven’t worked out in a couple of months now because I am in the process of addressing some medical issues which prevents me from doing so. But I have been working out 4 to 5 days a week for the last 3 years of my retirement and it has totally reshaped my body and outlook. What’s crazy for me right now is, watching how fast I have been losing the mass and muscle I have spent 3 years now, working to achieve, seemingly melt away in just a couple of months.

When it makes me wonder; was it worth it then? All that work and time put in to see it go so fast? Being disciplined with my body for three years, just to lose my gains in two months? I would say yes, it is worth it just for the way I feel when working out versus not working out.

I had a lot of old man aches and pains before starting my exercise regiment 3 years ago. Those aches and pains are beginning to come back as I have lost my muscle gains over the last two months.

So I know there is a good medium to find. That middle place of not looking to be a slave to my body in the gym, but instead shooting for a more holistic goal of exercising and physical maintenance, inside with a healthy diet and supplementation and outside with an easy and consistent exercise regiment which helps me personally, to be more productive and content as I age. :)

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I don't know how it will come up but I created a PDF document where I took some pictures off the internet and pasted them into it.

I have 12 exercises that I like to do and I believe that I do what I want to work. I do 2 sets of these with reps that are between 6 and 10 depending on the exercise. It takes me between 20-25 mins to complete which is what I want. All exercises use dumbbells including the Rope pull-down (imagine holding dumbbells instead of a rope and doing the same motion). For the push-ups, I use them as a handle.

I intend to do these for at least a month twice to 3 times a week (not 2 days in a row).

Attachments

• Luc's dumbbells - Google Docs.pdf
    553.1 KB · Views: 36
A rank amateur here and it helps me to keep in mind the major movements - push, pull, lunge, squat, hinge. It is good to do those for whole body fitness. I rigged up a pull up bar and do that five days a week along with pushups. Pullups... they will humble you.

The other general advice I have heard over the years is performing an exercise to the point of the last two or three reps you really struggle to complete. That is where the improvement lies.

I don't know how it will come up but I created a PDF document where I took some pictures off the internet and pasted them into it.

I have 12 exercises that I like to do and I believe that I do what I want to work. I do 2 sets of these with reps that are between 6 and 10 depending on the exercise. It takes me between 20-25 mins to complete which is what I want. All exercises use dumbbells including the Rope pull-down (imagine holding dumbbells instead of a rope and doing the same motion). For the push-ups, I use them as a handle.

I intend to do these for at least a month twice to 3 times a week (not 2 days in a row).

@Luc, I don't know your age, or what your goals are other than "target arms, shoulders and back". Do you want to build muscle size and strength or just keep what you have? How much weight are we talking about on those dumbbells?

As we age in later life, we lose muscle mass and strength by default every year. Light weights will not be enough to build muscle and strength to overcome this. We need a balance between pulling exercises and pushing exercises. Many people who lift weights neglect the pulling exercises. Or they focus on upper body development so they become unbalanced.

@Captain Pre-Capsize is doing the right thing using the pullup bar. Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Dips, and Push-ups are all great exercises to build muscle size and strength in arms, shoulders, back and chest.

Once you get a little older, this isn't really about Powerlifting or Body Building. It's more about building functional strength, coordination and balance for activities of daily living.

Last edited:
I agree with what many others have said. Doing what you’re currently doing is beneficial, but you are likely to see better results using the big compound lifts—which use a barbell rather than dumbbells. The core compound lifts are the deadlift, squat, front press, bench press, and power clean. These lifts work several muscle groups at once and stimulate strength gains and muscle growth. A good book to read focusing on these basic lifts is “Starting Strength” by Mark Rippetoe.

Three additional thoughts...

Spend time stretching and loosening up, less chance of a pulled muscle or worse.

Get yourself a TRX. I have that bolted to the header over my garage and that is a great way to go at exercise differently. The essence of it is that it is unstable which challenges muscles in a different manner.

Buy a 12 KG kettlebell and a pair of wrist guards - another way to introduce variety. Our bodies get used to the same thing over and over. So when you have dumbbells one day, TRX the next, kettlebell the following day - the muscles don't get used to the same 'ol pair of dumb bells day after day.

Totally agree with what some people have said. I particularly agree with @Captain Pre-Capsize Scott, your points about variety of workouts and going to the point of failure is something that really helped me.

I am not an expert but at my age, I am happy with my training accomplishments I am 59, and I can’t push heavy weights but I go to complete failure and always mix it up with some crazy new movement my son has learned.

Last edited:
My dumbbell routine is:
  1. Bicep curls
  2. Shoulder press
  3. Tricep extensions
  4. Chess press
  6. Romanian deadlifts
I take it you have a bench?
Bicep curls add:
Reverse curls
Hammer curls
Seated focused curls

Shoulder press:
Arnold press
Front raise
Bent over
Lateral raise
Bent over raise

Tri add:
Bench dip closer your elbows are together the more you focus on tri
Kickbacks

Chest:
Incline
Flat
Decline
Flys in all three positions

Back
Bent over rows
One arm dumbbell rows

OK. After thinking about this a little more, and limiting the advice to what you can do with dumbbells easily at home, I would recommend doing push-ups regularly as part of your routine and adding goblet squats. I also strongly agree with the advice to get a pull-up bar and add pull-ups to your routine. Another good dumbbell exercise to add is one arm rows.

Of the original exercises you listed, I would consider most of them optional except the shoulder presses. Here is the list of core exercises I would build your workout around:

Goblet squats
Push-ups
Pull-ups
Presses

This group of exercises are non-barbell compound exercises.

You can add in some of the other exercises you listed, but not so many that it feels unmanageable, since you are just starting out. Personally, I would also throw in dumbbell rows, curls, and tricep presses.

Sets of 3-5, as you are doing, is a good routine. If you want to see improvement across time, you’ll want to use enough weight to challenge yourself and follow the principle of progressive resistance by increasing weight or reps over time. You can also adjust intensity by decreasing rest time between sets. It may be good, therefore, to consider adding a few more sets of dumbbells or purchasing a set of adjustable dumbbells.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
@NorthernSoul Well, I mainly aim at having a fit-looking figure but not a bodybuilder figure. I could do heavy weights and probably build something very quickly but I rather take the long route. I'm in no hurry. So far, it's been working

I follow something similar to what @Captain Pre-Capsize mentioned, do my reps until I'm 2-3 rep to failure. Some days it's more, some days, it's less.

@Captain Pre-Capsize I have a small corridor that leads from the garage to my office and the rest of the basement. That small 3' by 6' room now has a doorway (but bigger to fit 3' long) chin-up bar. I use it on the occasion. The TRX is interesting but I do similar movements with the dumbbells. I have used them since they were free with the house 5 years ago (found them under the stairs). It's a 110lbs (50kg) set. There's a full length bar also in the box that I did not use. I need to buy a mat for that.

@bonjing No, no bench. I had one but gave it to my sister. It was in the way half the time and never really used it. I often stand up when doing my exercises. I'm able to do most exercises standing up. If not, I use a yoga mat.

Well, I mainly aim at having a fit-looking figure but not a bodybuilder figure. I could do heavy weights and probably build something very quickly but I rather take the long route. I'm in no hurry. So far, it's been working

I follow something similar to what @Captain Pre-Capsize mentioned, do my reps until I'm 2-3 rep to failure. Some days it's more, some days, it's less...

OK, but I thought you said in your first post you weren't quite seeing the results you wanted. That's why I suggested the heavier weights and compound movements. That tends to give good results with less time required. At the same time, it's good to do exercise that you enjoy so you'll be encouraged to stick with it. For myself, I mainly value strength and agility, looks mostly take care of themselves. So, I hope what I've been saying comes across as useful and constructive.

I don't see much emphasis on the back muscles in your current routine, unless you are attaching your weights to an overhead pulley for the pull-down. Doing the motion of the pull-down while holding the weights is not the same effect. If you can do pull-ups, the pull-down will become redundant. Pull-ups really build the back as much as the arms. Assisted pull-ups or partial negatives can help you build up to doing standard pull-ups.

Bench press with dumbbells could be somewhat redundant with push-ups. Consider using push-up variations like wide and narrow push-ups, Hindu push-ups, one-arm push-ups, etc. This adds variety and interest.

If you can do chin-ups and neutral-grip pull-ups, curls become largely redundant. You will also strengthen shoulder muscles at the same time. This could make shrugs unnecessary.

@CJB3 had some good suggestions with the goblet squats and the single-arm rows. Consider incorporating an additional leg exercise like forward and reverse lunge with dumb-bells. You can do single-leg calf-raises while climbing the stairs (in private, to avoid funny looks!).

Here is a reminder that you are actually doing better than you may think:

Go to your high school class reunion.

Everyone is the same age and yet... hmmm, some look "different" shall we say. We have ours every five years and this last one I noticed more stooped shoulders and more effort getting up out of a chair. Both of those can be avoided with regular exercise. Exercising does not help with balding! :biggrin1:

My dumbbell routine is:
  1. Bicep curls
  2. Shoulder press
  3. Tricep extensions
  4. Chess press
  6. Romanian deadlifts

I also read and saw your other post with the pdf file.

Honestly, i think you're doing everything right with those exercises. Definitely add lateral raises and rear shoulder raises.

You might just need to gradually increase the weight. Or as they call it progressive overload. And I'm sure you'll start seeing results.

I bought a set of ironmaster adjustable DB's, and I love them. They go up to 75lbs each, I haven't got there yet. (you can buy more weight if you need though).

I also like that I can use the fat gripz on them too.

20221021_151520.jpg
20221021_151508.jpg
20221116_211037.jpg

Reactions: Luc

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A lot of good ideas above already.

Arms add to your curl, reverse curl. Hammer curl. Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls.

Legs. Romanian deadlifts are great. Add squats, lunges and calf raises.
Calves work best with high reps, Same high reps with your forearms.

Concentrate on good form and to go slow on the negative. Example press up and come down slowly and controlled.
Drop sets every now and then can build muscle and move you forward on the weights.

Reactions: Luc
Top Bottom