What's new

Weck Wednesdays

Mar 21: Weepers on Weck Wednesday

Today's razor was the cobalt blue baby Weck with the guard and a Personna blade on its 10th shave. This razor is so intuitive when the guard is installed, and the shave was over too quickly, so I went for a 4th pass. Strangely, I noticed not one but two weepers when I went to apply the Lucky Tiger. Definitely not cuts, and I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary, but two tiny weepers were there. They stopped bleeding and disappeared with just the Lucky Tiger.

Happy First Day of Spring! I realize that technically it was yesterday, but to us old pharts, all the seasons switch over on the 21st of the month, like they taught us in elementary school.

One tip I’d like to share:

I take the blade out and rinse/dry the razor and blade after each shave. I also blow out the channel so o water is left in there. I think this will prolong the life of the razor
Uh, you mean everyone else was NOT doing that? I do that with all my razors (except for my Guard and Injectors).

Looks like I missed Weck Wednesday as a Contact Propeller shave came up (@rudyt, you NEED one of these). Don't know if I can squeeze in a Weck shave over the next week as I just got a razor lot and a bunch of interesting razors that need testing. The next two Weck Wednesdays, I will be away and doing a Gillette Guard Gednesday.

Uh, you mean everyone else was NOT doing that? I do that with all my razors (except for my Guard and Injectors).

That is good advice. For me it was not obvious at first because it is sort of like an injector. I didn’t realize how much gunk collected behind the blade and in the spine area. No wonder some sextoblades are all corroded.

Tips like this are more for the new guys I know that I didn’t know anything when I first started and found out about cleaning from various posts I came across quite by chance.

If it helps someone great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pulled out the Weck Hair Shaper for my Tuesday and Wednesday shaves this week. I thought I would like it better after some time enjoying a Feather Artist Club SS. Unfortunately this was not the case. It seems to me that the Fromm blades are losing sharpness in the box as each seems a little more dull. It may be the comparison with the Feather blades but I suspect not. I do have to admit that the Hair Shaper is too small and fiddly for me. I am definitely going to try some other blades, but not before I get a real Sextoblade.

Looks like I missed Weck Wednesday as a Contact Propeller shave came up (rudyt, you NEED one of these).
Thanks, interesting that you say that. I don't know if you're aware, but I have pretty much every vintage Bakelite razor you can think of.

I thought I had the propeller razor, but I don't.

BTW, you need a Knockout Shave, Fasan Doppelschrage, Neillite 400, and Souplex "The Double Six". The Fasan, Neillite and Souplex are asymmetric (one side more aggressive than the other). The Knockout is one of the smoothest razors on the planet.

Thanks, interesting that you say that. I don't know if you're aware, but I have pretty much every vintage Bakelite razor you can think of.

I thought I had the propeller razor, but I don't.

BTW, you need a Knockout Shave, Fasan Doppelschrage, Neillite 400, and Souplex "The Double Six". The Fasan, Neillite and Souplex are asymmetric (one side more aggressive than the other). The Knockout is one of the smoothest razors on the planet.
Got the Fasan Doppelschrag and the Neillite was the reason I bought the lot that included the Propeller. I had a chance to get a Knockout, but the seller did not accept my offer of $15, and the Souplex is one that I keep going back and forth on. the Fasan is much smoother a slant than the original one that PAA cloned. Trying out the Neillite tonight (maybe).

Okay, one day late (kind of). Weck Whursday - I pulled this guy out because I was participating in the Merkur March thing going on in the DE forum. It fits both categories. Weck DE made by Merkur
merkur weck.JPG

Nope, first time. I spend most of my time in the journal section. Started learning straight shaving this year and someone sent me a weck to try out. Figured I should buy this one which is just like it to keeping trying.

Not a Weck today, but I consider the Hess 1010 "EZY Shave" the evolution of the Weck, I call it the Weck 2.0. My shave, my rules ;-)

The shave started off beautifully. This razor is so mild compared to the Wecks with no guard that it instills false confidence. That's when I decided to do something stupid (again). Let's see if I can do the whole shave with my dominant hand. I've got well over 100 shavette shaves under my belt, so I'm an expert, right? First pass went great, second pass, not so great. As soon as I started my off side, I cut myself rather deeply right under the chin. I'm going to have to baby this cut when shaving for the next few days or it will certainly open up again.

I grabbed my Sharff then realized it was Wednesday. Ernst Sharff understood. Edward Weck's Prep gave yet another great shave on Weck Wednesday.

Sorry folks, but Weck Wednesday got replaced by Gillette Guard week! As good as the Guard is, I am SO looking forward to returning next Wednesday and picking up my flat handle Prep.

Sorry folks, but Weck Wednesday got replaced by Gillette Guard week! As good as the Guard is, I am SO looking forward to returning next Wednesday and picking up my flat handle Prep.
I think the Guard is the best cutting disposable out there, BUT it's not my favorite because of that pivoting head. Really annoying. I just use Bic Metals for travel. They don't shave as good, but they don't annoy me either ;-)

Weck Wednesday: Got lazy today, so I went with the guard on the stainless Sextoblade. Using the guard, I never feel like I'm in danger of getting a nick. Blade with 13 shaves on it still feels like a new one after the stropping a few shaves ago.

Back home just in time for Weck Wednesday. Did not mess around with two days growth, just went straight for the flat handle Surgical Prep. Had to adjust the angle a bit as I was shaving with a pivoting head razor most of last week.

It seems like Weck Wednesday comes around every week or so ;-) Up for today was the Big Ole Rack, the Wecprep SE, the simplest and possibly most efficient SE on the planet. Two strokes on each cheek and it's done. Even with 14 shaves on the blade, there was nothing left to shave after the third pass, but I went for a 4th pass XTG in the opposite direction just because the shave was over too quickly.

Weck Wednesday. Tonight was my Hess 2020 mounted in vintage Japanese tiger skin scales. I must have used one of @rudyt blades because it felt like I had about 50 shaves on it. Still a great shave.

Top Bottom