What's new

Waterman Phileas

The Bexley Simplicity is worth a look. They are an exceptional value and one can be had from Richard Binder for US$ 85 plus shipping. More important, at least to me, is that all Bexley pens are made in the USA and compete head-to-head with the best European an Japanese pens; and I'm not an American.

The Bexley Simplicity is worth a look. They are an exceptional value and one can be had from Richard Binder for US$ 85 plus shipping. More important, at least to me, is that all Bexley pens are made in the USA and compete head-to-head with the best European an Japanese pens; and I'm not an American.

If you're goint to spend $85, I would spend a little more and go for a gold nibbed pen.

You can often find the Lamy 2000 for around $100 and its one of the best fountain pen values out there - bar none (IMHO). The only pen I own that I enjoy using as much and that writes as well is my Pelikan 800.

Is the Lamy 2000 nib 18k/14k gold or is it gold-plated steel? The Pelikan M200 has a gold nib, but it's gold-plated steel.

Is the Lamy 2000 nib 18k/14k gold or is it gold-plated steel? The Pelikan M200 has a gold nib, but it's gold-plated steel.

Platinum plated 14k.

The nibs run a little wide - I have a medium and its one of my broader pens - a touch narrower than the Waterman medium.

The Lamy 2000 is what I consider to be a writer's pen - its not flashy (although it definitely has a style - Bahaus design), but it writes beautifully - better than many pens that cost double or tripple the price of the Lamy 2000.

I've had mine for about 4 years and it still looks new.

Hi,

I prefer Waterman. I have not had much luck with Pelikans. The Pelikan's nib tends to be too flexible for me. At this moment I have a Waterman in my shirt pocket. I love it. I think this model is discontinued. I bought it 10 years ago for about $450.00. I prefer it to my Mont Blancs.

I'm a fountain pen guy and have been for years, and I'm surprised to see so many guys using modern FPs and not going for vintage, particularly since so many here use vintage razors. Nothing wrong with modern pens as I use them, too, but if I had to chose between modern and vintage, vintage gets the nod from me.

If you want a vintage pen that's reasonably priced that qualifies as a workhorse, get a vintage Parker "51". I have several 51s in my rotation, and they're some of my favorite pens: slip cap, wet writers, always work all the time. If you don't like the hooded nib design, there are lots of old pens on the market.

If you do want a modern pen with classic looks, look for the modern Italian offerings using celluloid (cellulose nitrate, not cellulose acetate). The Japanese seem to be making some great pens, and John Mottishaw, who's been mentioned in this thread, considers Sailor to make some of the best modern nibs in the world. Check out the Sailor Saporro on his web site.

Try before you buy either a Pilot VP or a Lamy Safari. Great writers, to be sure, and they have their fans, but the clip on the VP may get in your way, and the Safari has cutaways on the section that forces the nib/paper contact angle, and you can't rotate the nib a la the Parker 75. Both pens have a more modern look that some don't like. That said, I have a Lamy Vista that writes very well, but I'm having it ground to a left-foot oblique to compensate for the section cut-aways. The Safari and its variants are great pens for the money, and I wish they'd get rid of those finger cut-outs on the section.

If you're interested in FP, check out the following:

www.wetinc.com/pens
www.richardspens.com (great reference section and excellent nibmeister)
www.vintagepens.com
www.pendemonium.com
www.fountainpenhospital.com
www.fahrneyspens.com
www.swisherpens.com
www.nibs.com (excellent nibmeister, great customer service)
www.oscarbraunpens.com (crappy web site, great prices...Pam is wonderful)

I've done business with every one of the above, and they're all top notch. I have no affiliation with any of them other than being a satisfied customer. Some of the web sites are definitely better than others in terms of ease-of-navigation. Also, www.fountainpennetwork.com is a great resource.

With the low to mid-range pens, I'd go Pelikan over Waterman...unless you're talking vintage. I've got a circa 1920 Waterman 52V that's a wonderful writer, but the nibs on the modern pens--at least those I'm familiar with--are so stiff, they're like writing with nails. That, and I think the higher-end modern Watermans (Edson) are overpriced and too heavy.

As always, YMMV.

EDIT: www.isellpens.com has the Lamy 2000 on sale for $90. I've never done business with this guy.

My first fountain pen was a Phileas med pt. then I added a Waterman Hemisphere med pt. and a Expert II fine point. I write with the Expert almost exclusively...great pen!

I may part with the Phileas if the price or trade is right!

I cannot believe that no one mentioned the Lamy Safari or Lamy All Star. I have an All Star and love it. I have a 1.1 Italic on it that I softened the edges on a little for a more cursive line.

I have never been a big fan of Waterman pens, with the exception of Vintage 52, 55 et al. I do like the Edson, but that is a different realm than what we are talking about here.

You might also want to check out a Parker 45 or a Rotring Core. The Core is generally referred to as the ugliest pen ever concocted, and I do agree. But, they are cheap as chips and write very well.

Do check out the links that Tulip posted, Richard Binder and John Mottishaw are truly masters and have very informative sites. Also check out Fountain Pen Network and Pentrace as there are sales boards at each where one can pick up a nice user now and again.

Cheers,
Sean

I got a Phileas for christmas when i was in 8th grade. It was pretty easy to write with, i always used the refillable twist ink reserve in it so i could use some really nice inks. I haven't used it in a while, i don't do much writing anymore, so it just sits there with ink probably dried in it. For shame...

Top Bottom