What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Does it at least have the seahorse on the back?
Nope, no designation on the watch at all. It is inscribed on the back with his name and 1955 which is when he graduated high school. Plus it came with this pamphlet which is the only way I knew that Omega had (at least internally) named it Seamaster:

IMG_8239.jpeg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Nope, no designation on the watch at all. It is inscribed on the back with his name and 1955 which is when he graduated high school. Plus it came with this pamphlet which is the only way I knew that Omega had (at least internally) named it Seamaster:

View attachment 1567392
Wondering if maybe Omega swapped out the Seahorse back for a plain back to allow space for engraving. Just a thought.

Wondering if maybe Omega swapped out the Seahorse back for a plain back to allow space for engraving. Just a thought.
That had never occurred to me but that does make a lot of sense. I may just contact the repair guy and ask him. Stay tuned...

(A couple of hours later)

Well, that was quick @captp. As per the repair fellow it is not a Seamaster, in spite of what the pamphlet says. It is an Omega Automatic.

This now concludes me hijacking a thread!

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The other day I went to put on my Swiss Army watch that I purchased in 1994 and noticed that the watch had stopped.

Time for a new battery.
:yesnod:
So I ordered a new battery. After changing the battery I noticed that the lume on the minute hand had fallen off/out of the minute hand and that you could now actually see through the minute hand. 😳
67F99A30-5EF9-4B4E-A597-D29058B301FA.jpeg
692D0E5A-E752-4ACA-9C0B-E9C6FB2F44BB.jpeg

And the loose pieces of lume were moving around inside the dial.

E8676877-0D17-4A2D-BBC4-CFF03DCD43CF.jpeg

Well… this just could not stand. So you know what I gotta do…. I’m going in!

ED8D8FE1-3CBE-4D18-88FD-5E286657305A.jpeg

I watched a quick video on removing the crown from the watch and of course, I break the watch. Strip the crown.

Now this watch is not worth anything but I gave these watches as gifts to the groomsmen in our wedding party and I also bought one for myself as well back in 1994.

So the sentimental value is high, heightened by the fact that Mrs. Gold and I just celebrated our 28th this past weekend.

Now these watches are plentiful on eBay. But I want this watch. So I bought a donor watch on eBay for $20 that was in horrible condition. It had a throwaway Spiedel bracelet and crud-encrusted case.

But I didn’t care about anything except the dial and from the listing pics it appeared to be in good shape.

BA0D5278-D196-42C3-A838-4D370088B614.jpeg
A47AEB0D-A4E0-4302-BF78-9292DD002C6F.jpeg
4D96A36B-CE58-494E-8EA9-748235C941B5.jpeg

The donor watch arrived today and I took the movement out, carefully cleaned up the dial and placed it in my original case, using as many parts from my watch that I could (i.e, the crown, the plastic ring that secures the movement and the case back) and I put a new battery in it.
8D42A2A0-D983-4DD5-9F18-FCC7AE04960C.jpeg

FD16A7C3-2D73-44D1-831B-FCEF8587B5C9.jpeg

It’s now as close to the original watch I purchased in 1994 as it’s gonna be.

Honestly, I couldn’t believe the wave of remorse that came over me when I thought the watch was a goner.
:lol:

So I just had to try and save it.
:thumbup1:
😀
6F553648-FF59-4ACD-A53A-DC9A74A186E2.jpeg

Last edited:
The other day I went to put on my Swiss Army watch that I purchased in 1994 and noticed that the watch had stopped.

Time for a new battery.
:yesnod:
So I ordered a new battery. After changing the battery I noticed that the lume on the minute hand had fallen off/out of the minute hand and that you could now actually see through the minute hand. 😳
View attachment 1567807View attachment 1567804
And the loose pieces of lume were moving around inside the dial.

<snip>...

It’s now as close to the original watch I purchased in 1994 as it’s gonna be.

Honestly, I couldn’t believe the wave of remorse that came over me when I thought the watch was a goner.
:lol:

So I just had to try and save it.

Good save.

Although I do have an unexplainable attraction to the Laco distressed look.

laco-kempten-erbstueck-862097-side-slide-2022.jpg

But the loose bits of lume inside the dial would be a no-go. Well done and it looks fantastic.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Good save.

Although I do have an unexplainable attraction to the Laco distressed look.

View attachment 1567889

But the loose bits of lume inside the dial would be a no-go. Well done and it looks fantastic.

Thanks.

It was my intention to go with the “distressed” look as well. I wasn’t at all bothered by that. I just wanted to remove the loose lume which, unfortunately, led to the mishap with the crown.

That had never occurred to me but that does make a lot of sense. I may just contact the repair guy and ask him. Stay tuned...

(A couple of hours later)

Well, that was quick @captp. As per the repair fellow it is not a Seamaster, in spite of what the pamphlet says. It is an Omega Automatic.

This now concludes me hijacking a thread!
Interesting. The position of the picture in that Omega pamphlet does seem to indicate that it is a Seamaster, but maybe that was a layout error in its printing. I am not exactly sure if "sweep second hand" meant anything different back in the 50's, but that is potentially another clue that the pamphlet photo layout is in error. As your watch has a seconds sub-dial and not a sweeping second hand (AFAIK), where the Seamaster is described as having a sweeping seconds.

Nonetheless you have a great watch with much personal history .

Top Bottom