What's new

Watch repair question

Ok so I got this really cool Waltham watch but the stem?crown? is missing. I have small screwdrivers and tweezers and even a loupe. But I’m by no means a watchmaker. Simple battery changing or cleaning and lubing is all I’ve done. Hate to shell out dough for this but I might be a little out of my depth. What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 17

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'd head over to a watch repair guy who has an assortment of crowns. It has to be the right one and properly sized correctly in length.

I suspect that the watch could be brought up to fine running condition with a new stem with relative ease.

Absent that particular model/colorway filling in somebody's "collection", it's value is likely exceeded by the repair costs.
Ergo the value is primarily sentimental.

I would put that on a series of quick change straps so I could wear it well and frequently.

Fine young watchmaker who got his start at the Swatch Group School.

Worked at a Tier 1 retailer here in the KCMO area.

Ultimately went out on his own.

Enjoys an excellent reputation in the Red Bar Watch Group Community

Did an excellent/lube/oil/adjust/internals only replace on a Seiko divers of mine.

Well dojpros hit the proverbial nail on the head: the watch really isn't worth the $$ to take it to a watch guy. Like everyone's noted, it's expensive, and understandably so. This isn't a Rolex. I did click on the link above, and it does sound interesting. May give it a shot just to see how it all turns out.

Ok so I got this really cool Waltham watch but the stem?crown? is missing. I have small screwdrivers and tweezers and even a loupe. But I’m by no means a watchmaker. Simple battery changing or cleaning and lubing is all I’ve done. Hate to shell out dough for this but I might be a little out of my depth. What do you think?
Looks like it may have a value of up to maybe a couple hundred depending on exact model. look at the movement and see what model the movement is and you can order a stem And a crown for less than probably 20 bucks. If the watch currently has a stem you may not need that part and would get lucky as all you would need to do is put on a new crown. ( a tiny bit of loctite on end of stem before you screw on the crown to it will help secure the crown to stem).. if you dont have the stem and must replace it too then insert the crown and see how much too long the stem is and mark and cut it BUT DO NOT cut it to the exact length leave it a little long and then check it again and if its still too long take just a little more until you get it to the Exact length you need.. Remember it is easier to remove a little at a time until its right because if you cut it too short you cant add back to it and will have to buy another one....Stem and crown work is / are NOT that difficult and while you have it open I would recommend removing the movement from the case and cleaning the front crystal on the inside and outside before inserting the stem and crown... Also remember there is a little button usually on the movement very near where you insert the stem that is a release for the stem from the movement , press it to remove the stem as you are sizing it, dont just yank it out or you may damage the movement.. I once upon another lifetime worked in a watch place in my youth for a little while BTW... I would also recommend looking up videos on youtube of your watch and how to do the procedures.... As a sidenote , some waltham watches are worth a decent amount of money so dont think just because when you got it that you didnt pay a lot for it that it is still not worth much because some are worth in the thousands.... The watch my mom bought my dad for their first christmas as a married couple was not overly expensive when she bought it but it is now worth multiple thousands of dollars....
Good Luck with however you decide to proceed....

Top Bottom