What's new

Watch Help!

Wow. Well, my watch search is over, I guess. Thinking about that seiko 5 snk809. I dig the nylon (canvas?) strap as an everyday kind of watch, and I like the numbers. And at <$70, it seems like a steal.

FYI, got the watch in last night, and so far I'm a fan... though, this is my first mechanical watch and I'm not sure how to properly set it. The day/date were easy enough, but getting it to start at a precise time eluded me somewhat. I've only ever owned battery operated analog watches. With those, pulling the crown usually stopped the second hand. I would stop it at 00, set the time, and start it when the minute changed over. With this, there doesn't seem to be a way to stop the second hand (I'm assuming this is the case with mechanical watches.) I'm never that particular about time, but because reviews put it at anywhere from +5 to +15 sec/day gain, I wanted to sync it with something to get a sense for how often I would have to adjust it to compensate.

Thanks to the OP and all the information that everyone else posted. The information was very useful, even if it wasn't originally my search.

FYI, got the watch in last night, and so far I'm a fan... though, this is my first mechanical watch and I'm not sure how to properly set it. The day/date were easy enough, but getting it to start at a precise time eluded me somewhat. I've only ever owned battery operated analog watches. With those, pulling the crown usually stopped the second hand. I would stop it at 00, set the time, and start it when the minute changed over. With this, there doesn't seem to be a way to stop the second hand (I'm assuming this is the case with mechanical watches.) I'm never that particular about time, but because reviews put it at anywhere from +5 to +15 sec/day gain, I wanted to sync it with something to get a sense for how often I would have to adjust it to compensate.

Thanks to the OP and all the information that everyone else posted. The information was very useful, even if it wasn't originally my search.

In mechanicals/automatics having the 'second hand stop' is a feature called hacking-second-hand. It seems like your watch doesn't have this feature, so syncing is not really an option. It's not a big deal (IMHO) means your watch will be at maximum 30 seconds fast/slow when you set it, but then you think that the movement can be as much as +/- 15 seconds a day the hacking feature is not really needed.

As far as adjusting to compensate it, try running the watch for a couple days to a week and average the gain/deficit for that period of time, much more accurate IMO as the watch will behave differently in different positions. You should try leaving it in different positions on the dresser during the night and check the results in the morning; try face-down/up, on its side crown-down, up. If you know that it runs fast, but leaving it e.g. on its side with the crown down during the night lessens the effect, then you should do that every-night.

Good luck with the watch, I like the feeling of my Omega SMP ticking on the wrist, gives me something to look at and play with during the dull times.

... and the winner is?

Well I think it is the Seiko SNZG15 from either here or here. I think I would actually prefer with the khaki band but that seems a little problematic - and I can change later anyway. It seems to tick all the appropriate boxes and I have a soft spot for Seikos for some reason.

The clincher? My son is after his first watch (see here) and he liked these. The allure of father and son with the same watch was too great!

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions :thumbup:

Well Sky Watches were out of stock so I went with the eBay seller.

They arrived today in their boxes with tags etc.

Very beautiful but BIG. I like the look on the wrist but it will be interesting to see how and if it goes under/with my shirts and suits

I can't wait until Christmas to really play with it!

Thanks again for all the help

Top Bottom