What's new

Want to try a slant razor....any recommendations?

I've been using an Muhle R89 for the past 4 years and recently started using a shavette. Being a newbie to shavette shaving it does take me some time to shave. When I don't have much time I shave with my safety. I'm looking to try slant head safety razor. I know the popular one is the Merkur 37C or 39C but I was wondering if there are any others I should consider. Hopefully when I'm eligible to post in Buy Trade Sell section I can trade or sell the Muhle R89 but until then I'd love to hear anyone's slant head recommendations.

I like the Ikon slants myself. The Ikon Shavecraft 102 and Ikon X3. The X3 is more of torqued head than the 102. A little more expensive than the Merkurs, but worth it for machined aluminum heads. If you don't want to pay a lot of money, you might want to try the PAA Bakelite slants. There are two versions, the PAA OC and PAA AE (Alpha Eliptic).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sometime in the fairly near future the Fatip Slant will hit the market. There are a million of us waiting for it.

upload_2018-8-8_0-4-38.jpeg

I am no kind of expert on slants, but use them sometimes and am a fan of them.

I have the iKon X3 which you can buy as just the head. It is okay, and not terribly expensive. Maybe somewhat harsh, but not terribly so. I also have the PBOC slant which is also okay; it must be used at a somewhat steep angle.

A pretty much unobtanium slant is the SS Stealth Slant by RR. I just got one though, on the BST, and will use it tomorrow. ATT makes a slant, but I've not tried it. Also, Fine makes a slant, but I've not been impressed with the reviews. There are other RR slants (not easily found) sometimes available on BST or eBay, but they tend to be very expensive sometimes. Other times there are some good deals.

There are a bunch of vintage slants available on eBay, many of them European. Most have threads on the forum. Many of them show up occasionally on the BST. Most all the vintage and modern slants have their fans. If you search eBay for slants you'll find them, and then you can read about them on the forum. It's fun to learn about some of these old razors. Sometimes they show up at good prices.

I don't know why you want a slant. Not that I mean slants aren't worth using. Obviously I like them. Another good razor to consider, not a slant, is the Mühle R41. I like it a lot. I've not used the razor you're using, your Mühle, but the R41 is said to be a much more efficient razor.

I will buy that Fatip Slant the very moment I can. Fatip makes some really good razors, and their prices are very reasonable.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Sometime in the fairly near future the Fatip Slant will hit the market. There are a million of us waiting for it.

View attachment 902947

I am no kind of expert on slants, but use them sometimes and am a fan of them.

I have the iKon X3 which you can buy as just the head. It is okay, and not terribly expensive. Maybe somewhat harsh, but not terribly so. I also have the PBOC slant which is also okay; it must be used at a somewhat steep angle.

A pretty much unobtanium slant is the SS Stealth Slant by RR. I just got one though, on the BST, and will use it tomorrow. ATT makes a slant, but I've not tried it. Also, Fine makes a slant, but I've not been impressed with the reviews. There are other RR slants (not easily found) sometimes available on BST or eBay, but they tend to be very expensive sometimes. Other times there are some good deals.

There are a bunch of vintage slants available on eBay, many of them European. Most have threads on the forum. Many of them show up occasionally on the BST. Most all the vintage and modern slants have their fans. If you search eBay for slants you'll find them, and then you can read about them on the forum. It's fun to learn about some of these old razors. Sometimes they show up at good prices.

I don't know why you want a slant. Not that I mean slants aren't worth using. Obviously I like them. Another good razor to consider, not a slant, is the Mühle R41. I like it a lot. I've not used the razor you're using, your Mühle, but the R41 is said to be a much more efficient razor.

I will buy that Fatip Slant the very moment I can. Fatip makes some really good razors, and their prices are very reasonable.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I was considering the R41 too. But I read that slants are good on sensitive skin types. I shave 5 days a week. I'm trying to warm up my face to a daily shave. I don't have a thick coarse beard so I don't think the OC design would be for me. Thanks for the Fattip Slant info. If I get just the iKon X3 head will it work with the R89? I think the R89 and R41 have the same 3 piece design.

My first "upgrade razor" from the one i tried from the drugstore was the 34c and i really liked it. Only shaving every few days and a very coarse beard led me to learn about other razors. enter open comb and slants. I decided on a slant and got the 37c. Its been several months and i really like it. My 34c is my travel razor since i tend to shave more frequently on the road.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was considering the R41 too. But I read that slants are good on sensitive skin types. I shave 5 days a week. I'm trying to warm up my face to a daily shave. I don't have a thick coarse beard so I don't think the OC design would be for me. Thanks for the Fattip Slant info. If I get just the iKon X3 head will it work with the R89? I think the R89 and R41 have the same 3 piece design.

I believe the handle of the R89 and the R41 are the same (99.9% sure). The R41 handle fits the X3 head, looks good on it, and works fine.

7-21-18.X3.640.CopperBoar.Lisa's.JPG

Another good looking handle on the X3 is the RR Barberpole (above). I think they're still out of stock though. To me, the R41 handle works better though than the RR BP because the R41 handle is lighter, but not too light. If you like the R89 handle, and have it, I'd say go for it with the X3 head. Connaught in England is a good source with inexpensive shipping but there are others.

iKon.Tech.RoseGoldHandle.7-15-18.640.JPG

This photo (above) is another iKon razor, the Tech, on a rose gold R41 handle.

I've found the X3 works best for me at its design angle (neutral angle) or steeper. Not shallow, not cap riding!

Happy shaves,

Jim

I believe the handle of the R89 and the R41 are the same (99.9% sure). The R41 handle fits the X3 head, looks good on it, and works fine.

View attachment 902979

Another good looking handle on the X3 is the RR Barberpole (above). I think they're still out of stock though. To me, the R41 handle works better though than the RR BP because the R41 handle is lighter, but not too light. If you like the R89 handle, and have it, I'd say go for it with the X3 head. Connaught in England is a good source with inexpensive shipping but there are others.

View attachment 902980

This photo (above) is another iKon razor, the Tech, on a rose gold R41 handle.

I've found the X3 works best for me at its design angle (neutral angle) or steeper. Not shallow, not cap riding!

Happy shaves,

Jim
What is the model number, loft and knot,of the rose gold zenith?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What is the model number, loft and knot,of the rose gold zenith?

This one? It's copper, not rose gold.

RoseGold.R41.New..Copper.Boar.640.7-8-18.JPG

Zenith Copper Handled Pro Big Boar Shave Brush. Knot 27mm. Loft 53 mm. (my measurements with my calipers)

From the eBay vendor. Very nice brush.

Zenith.Copper.boar.Manchurian.2.640.7-14-18.JPG

The Manchurian is older and has been exposed to salt air. It's tarnished, but could be polished in 30 seconds.

Why not start out with a Merkur 37C slant? It's not expensive and it's a fine shaver. Later you can consider more expensive slants.

FWIW on an aggressiveness scale of 1 to 10, with 5 being average, I would rate the Merkur HD as a 5 and the Merkur 37C slant as a 6.

If you want an affordable one it's pretty much the merkur or paa. Merkur is easier to obtain.

How is the Merkur easier to obtain? You can get either of the PAA slants off their website for 20 bucks. Doesn't get much easier than that. :)

I have both of the PAA slants and they both give really close efficient shaves. I do find the OC to be a more comfortable shave however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the Merkur easier to obtain? You can get either of the PAA slants off their website for 20 bucks. Doesn't get much easier than that. :)

I have both of the PAA slants and they both give really close efficient shaves. I do find the OC to be a more comfortable shave however.

First of all the shipping charges outside of the us cost more than the razor itself. Second, they don't ship to many countries. Whereas the merkur can be bought from the uk for the same price or slightly more than the paa plus shipping.

Theres lots of great options. The Merkurs are good ones, as is the Razorock Germany 37 (basically a clone of the Merkur but a 3-piece) and PAA Bakelite Slant or Alpha Ecliptic.
Ive heard good things about Ikons too but have never tried one myself.

These are perhaps less well known with less experience here.

I remember when I was looking for a slant no one recommended the PAA, the our good friend @Uncas PIF his to me and that's where I discovered these well made, but inexpensive slants.

PAA AE. Once you figure it out its nice. The ATT S2 is one of the best razors i have. Ive had 2 pass shaves (WTG and ATG) with no aftershave burn at all. Just had my first shave with a DLC Wunderbar and it has given me the closest one pass shave ever. Probably shouldnt be your first slant though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just because we like pictures...

StealthSlant.Angle.Upright.640.8-8-18.JPG

Mostly unobtanium, but a good one.

RR SS Stealth Slant. Mine was a recent BST find. It's every bit as big and heavy as it looks. It shaves in a very smooth manner and is very easy to use and "mild," but reasonably efficient at the same time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom