What's new

Walther P99 Last Edition

Does anyone own a Walther P99? I have been wanting to get one, especially now that Walther is giving the P99 it's last hurrah and was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions, experiences, and thoughts on this firearm.
I own a Walther CCP and really like it. It is one of my favorite pistol's. Thanks

I have 3. The P99 in 9mm, one in .40 S&W, and the P99C in 9mm.

These are all the AS models, which stands for "anti-stress." The trigger pull is the same length whether you're in single action or double action. They all are striker fired and have a de-cocker. Field stripping is crazy simple. The hand grip has a strange, "dot" pattern to it and it's almost slippery; I have Talon grips installed on all of my 99s. The pistol comes with three backs that are easy to swap out to fit your hand. I've also replaced the sights with Meprolights. My .40 S&W had an annoying habit of dropping magazines during firing. It happened with other shooters, too, and other folks on the Walther forum had the same problem. The theory was that a run of frames were defective, and the recoil of the .40 was causing a flexing and the magazine would drop about 3/8 of an inch. Some folks got a new pistol from Walther, but it was a long, drawn out affair to get it done. I converted mine to 9mm with a new barrel from Jarvis. I replaced the extractor, too. You have to use 9mm magazines, and the pistol works perfectly now

The P99 is a duty pistol, popular with a lot of European police departments. It fits the hand very well, and trigger reset is the same as the PPQ, which is amazing. Magazine release is the paddle style. Magazines can be hard to find, but they're the same as the PPQ M1, and I sometimes find these on sale and I stock up when I can. Any more questions, feel free to ask... I'd be happy to answer them. I'll post some pics tomorrow of my set up.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have both the CCP M2+ (the Plus version uses the Glock 19 sights) and the PPS M2 as my modern Walthers. I've been eyeing some of the S&W SW99 police trade-ins lately though I must admit.

Sorry about the lack of pictures as I promised; other stuff came up.

I know they've released the P99 Final Version. In my opinion, they're asking quite a bit for it, and the only difference between it and other P99's is the color of the frame grip (OD), and the "final" engraving on the slide. Oh, I think you get a commerative coin, too! I don't see this pistol increasing in value appreciably in the future, either. You can still find P99s on Gunbroker at what I consider more reasonable asking prices.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yeah, the 99 was cool and all when Walther was doing their partnership thing with S&W. Those would seem to be more of a preferred ‘collectable’ to me then Walther’s ‘last edition’ model?

I mean, they’re all striker fired polymers? Give me a PPQ or PDP any day over a 99? :)

P99C:
20230919_092112.jpg

P99 AS, 9mm:

20230919_092342.jpg

P99 AS, .40, converted to 9mm:

20230919_093146.jpg

The P99 is my favorite Walther, and it's an excellent handgun. I don't think you'd be disappointed in purchasing one, thunder54. They're asking a lot for the Final, and if it's your only option as far as picking one up, I'd say go for it. I'll never sell mine.

OkieStubble

P99C:
View attachment 1720111

P99 AS, 9mm:

View attachment 1720112

P99 AS, .40, converted to 9mm:

View attachment 1720114

The P99 is my favorite Walther, and it's an excellent handgun. I don't think you'd be disappointed in purchasing one, thunder54. They're asking a lot for the Final, and if it's your only option as far as picking one up, I'd say go for it. I'll never sell mine.

I gotta admit, I really like the looks of your P99 AS. Especially in .40 instead of 9mm. :)

OkieStubble

Well there are a ton of P99s in 40 out there right now. I think every agency and department that ever bought them are trading them in.

.40 is such an awesome round. I get the fact that 9mm is easier to handle and shoot then .40, but is the gap in their differences really that wide or insurmountable?

Or are people that lazy in order just to learn how to overcome those slight differences and close that small gap with their training in order to keep a very effective round and caliber in their stable of firearms?

I mean, .22 is easier and milder then 9mm? .40 is easier and milder than .357 or .44?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
But long before there was a 40 I already had 9mm and 9mm Mak and 357 and 44 and 44spl and 45 and 45acp. And 38 and 38auto and 38 special and 22 and 22lr and 32 and 32 long and 7.65 and 6.35.

Well there are a ton of P99s in 40 out there right now. I think every agency and department that ever bought them are trading them in.

I haven't seen them... then again, I haven't really been looking diligently either.
.40 is such an awesome round. I get the fact that 9mm is easier to handle and shoot then .40, but is the gap in their differences really that wide or insurmountable?

Or are people that lazy in order just to learn how to overcome those slight differences and close that small gap with their training in order to keep a very effective round and caliber in their stable of firearms?

I mean, .22 is easier and milder then 9mm? .40 is easier and milder than .357 or .44?

I don't get it either, especially when the "poo pooing" borders on hatred. I would have liked to keep that P99 as a .40, but it simply didn't function properly. Walther forum members warned me to prepare for A LOT of back and forth with Walther, and I might get the pistol replaced, but I decided to take the easy way out and convert it. I really think the problem was Walther trying to force a larger round into a pistol system designed around the 9mm, which caused malfunctions due to structural stresses not addressed through engineering. Thanks fellas, now you got me thinking about an HK USP compact in.40.....:blush:

OkieStubble

I haven't seen them... then again, I haven't really been looking diligently either.

I don't get it either, especially when the "poo pooing" borders on hatred. I would have liked to keep that P99 as a .40, but it simply didn't function properly. Walther forum members warned me to prepare for A LOT of back and forth with Walther, and I might get the pistol replaced, but I decided to take the easy way out and convert it. I really think the problem was Walther trying to force a larger round into a pistol system designed around the 9mm, which caused malfunctions due to structural stresses not addressed through engineering. Thanks fellas, now you got me thinking about an HK USP compact in.40.....:blush:

What you’re saying about stresses in a .40 built for a 9mm makes sense to me. I’m just spoiled by my .40 Glock 23, because I can throw a .357 Sig barrel in it and shoot +P’s to my hearts content. I tend to take that for granted in thinking other brands should be able to do the same.

I still want a Walther PDP F- Series one day. :)

Top Bottom