What's new

Wald A1 Synthetic Brush

I was lucky and got the colourway I wanted on a bst. I never seemed to be able to get it direct. Always sold out. Guess I wasn't quick enough lol.

1000018157.jpg

The time of drops is different. Last was at 3pm CEST and working day, I think before it was more times on Sunday at 9pm CEST. Maybe some next drop will be fine also for your time zone..
I don't mind waking up early for the drop, but I wish the newsletter announced the drops earlier so I at least know to wake up early for it.

I don’t quite understand the drama here. He announces drops - dates and times. If you want to buy, you click on his website at the exact day and time and all available brushes will be ready to buy. Pull the trigger quickly and it’s yours. Yes, they go quickly; but you have just as much a chance as the next guy. Be quick about things. It’s as fair as it can get, IMHO.
I kind of agree with this. The one problem that people may run into is they're at work and can't do online shopping while at work.

I don’t quite understand the drama here. He announces drops - dates and times. If you want to buy, you click on his website at the exact day and time and all available brushes will be ready to buy. Pull the trigger quickly and it’s yours. Yes, they go quickly; but you have just as much a chance as the next guy. Be quick about things. It’s as fair as it can get, IMHO.
But why is it so hard for Jannik to provide a handy link in his email drop announcement where to shop for brushes? His web site ordering instructions indicate that he sells spots on the waiting list, e.g., a chance to place an order with him for a brush of your choice. So the drama here is all about inconsistent instructions. Is he selling spots on a waiting list or a very small number of brushes that he already manufactured, which then get sold out in a matter of minutes? I did ask him via email but never heard back. I received his email notification ahead of the 3 PM CEST deadline but there was absolutely nothing I was able to do with it.

I think my recent posts about Jannik's drops have caused some of the drama listed here and maybe my previous posts I think have been misrepresented... I "DON'T" have a problem with Jannik's drops he has as in time of drop or days of the drop, the problem I "HAVE" is his drops lately consist of like 8 brushes each which I find troubling and not worth my time or attention anymore!! I think he should make or have a drop for 15-20 brushes in each drop or I think what would be an even better idea would be to go to a wait list much in the fashion that James @Wolfman has employed for the past couple years that seems to be working out quite well and has been, imo, very successful to date. That is it...

I have said my peace or at least explained my real frustration and will have nothing further to say on it and am moving in a different direction going forward...

As explained on

“After you were able to buy a spot in the waiting list, you tell me which specifications you want your brush to have. That includes the handle shape and colorway, in case you ordered a synthetic brush I also need to know the knot shape. Then I will go ahead and make the brush according to your wishes.”

This is very easy to understand. But is that what’s really going on? If so, how exactly do I buy a spot in the waiting list?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
As explained on

“After you were able to buy a spot in the waiting list, you tell me which specifications you want your brush to have. That includes the handle shape and colorway, in case you ordered a synthetic brush I also need to know the knot shape. Then I will go ahead and make the brush according to your wishes.”

This is very easy to understand. But is that what’s really going on? If so, how exactly do I buy a spot in the waiting list?
You click on the ‘Made to Order’ link at the precise time of the drop (or shortly and quickly thereafter). It says ‘Sold Out’ until the precise time of the drop. Once the pre-made brushes or the X number of Made to Order brushes are all sold, it then says ‘Sold Out’ once again.

If you can’t click on his website at the precise time of the drop (or shortly thereafter), because of work or other commitments, you’re likely to have slim pickings (18mm choices) a couple hours or days later.

This is a part-time business for the owner/vendor. He makes as many brushes as he can with the ‘extra’ time he has.

OK, thank you. So, this is the link missing from his email drop announcement that I need to refresh just before the deadline:

It would make perfect sense (IMO at least) to provide this link (or whatever current link happens to be) in his announcement instead of just saying “see you there”, which is somewhere on his web site. Click in the left nav bar to expand Shop, then click on 29mm A1s, then click on the brush picture to see what’s available unless it’s already marked Sold out. Fascinating.

Although his brushes are expensive and drop times can be a bit problematic, I definitely appreciate Jannik's willingness to expand and improve his craft. For those who were able to purchase a hybrid knot, I am very interested in learning how they perform compared to his bulb and/or fan knot.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have never tried a synthetic before but intrigued about the A1. Do you guys think it's worth jumping in?
It depends on the type of guy you are but I would not buy the most expensive of anything, if I had not first tried more modestly priced products. I would not recommend a Wolfman as a first razor, a Chubby 3 Manchurian as a first badger brush, or a Patek Philippe as a first wristwatch. Of course, if you fancy the Wald then go for it 😄

I have never tried a synthetic before but intrigued about the A1. Do you guys think it's worth jumping in?
Have you at least tried a boar, a badger, preferably some (different) synthetic brushes?

If you love badger, soft and dense synthetic, then perhaps you can plan to get a Wald A1.

If you love boar, or synthetics with stronger backbone, maybe Wald A1 will not satisfy your taste.

I have never tried a non synthetic brush but I have a calyx brush. It has the same fiber of the A1 but with different dimensions. Given how well the fiber performs and feel on the face I would tend to say yes. But it is really expensive and I would not be able to say if it is worth the price.

I also really like the muhle STF which is more affordable but feel different, softer on the face.

I just think that if the A1 was less expensive the answer would be a yes without any hesitation, now given that there is also the muhle STF for less it is more complicated to answer.

Nevertheless I think you would be quite happy with the A1 if the price if ok to you. The wald as well as the muhle brushes have been shaving products I did not regret getting, and would buy again if I lost them and of course had the money.

Last edited:
@coldcoffee You’re going to get a lot of yeses from a group of us dedicated to the brush. However, since you have never tried a synthetic before, I’d definitely recommend a less expensive alternative before committing to a Wald

Check out AP Shave Co. They have many different synthetics and Andrew, the owner, provides outstanding service. I’m partial to his SynBad knot, but there are many others

Top Bottom