What's new

Wald A1 Synthetic Brush

Got the email that a drop was happening this morning at 8AM CST, (3PM CEST), by 8:10 AM CST the drop of 29mm A1's was sold out again!! I was looking at the colorways to decide which I would like and within 10 minutes, sold out... This is beyond pitiful and only reaffirms my last post and that I'm out completely on Wald altogether. Yes, I am glad I am in the Gruyere but there was a small part of me that was about to break it and that temptation is done now!! :nono:

Got the email that a drop was happening this morning at 8AM CST, (3PM CEST), by 8:10 AM CST the drop of 29mm A1's was sold out again!! I was looking at the colorways to decide which I would like and within 10 minutes, sold out... This is beyond pitiful and only reaffirms my last post and that I'm out completely on Wald altogether. Yes, I am glad I am in the Gruyere but there was a small part of me that was about to break it and that temptation is done now!! :nono:

The issue is that I have not seen a lot of sales with made to order brushes for a while now. I also hesitated to get one (right now I have a calyx), and now the sale is over. I guess a lot of people anticipate these rare sales and either you make your mind before either the sale will be over once you decided.

If there were more sales with made to order brushes I guess people would not rush so much.

Seeing how I own two Wald brushes, I don't think they're all that great. I like the Muhle XL STF just as much and they're a lot easier to acquire and way easier on the wallet.

Seeing how I own two Wald brushes, I don't think they're all that great. I like the Muhle XL STF just as much and they're a lot easier to acquire and way easier on the wallet.

I also own a Muhle STF that I appreciate a lot. However I think that the calyx is a better brush (more backbone and a feeling on the face quite unique).

Now if I take into account the price of each brushes, I cannot say that the wald brush is 5 or 6 times better than the Muhle STF. Still, the wald synthetic might be the best synthetic brush one can get.

That kind of money would go a long way toward getting a new computer, with which I can follow the adventures of those who already have the Wald -- whereas if I spent that on the brush and my old computer crashed, I'd have my own adventure and no one to share it with.

That kind of money would go a long way toward getting a new computer, with which I can follow the adventures of those who already have the Wald -- whereas if I spent that on the brush and my old computer crashed, I'd have my own adventure and no one to share it with.
Funny you mention a new computer. I need one too as mine is 12 years old.

I'm beginning to think of Walds as more of art pieces (gorgeous ones at that) than "next level" tools - different, but not necessarily better than STFs.

Will they change my shaving experience from my STF's in any meaningful way?

I'm ready to be proven wrong, but the lack of clarity in these sudden releases is off-putting.

When I check the "shop" page hours before the drop are the brushes marked "sold out" the ones which are about to be released?

Do they suddenly get re-tagged when the drop is live?

From his email, it appears as if they're made to order.

He seems to change the rules with each drop, which is of course, his prerogative.

... Thom

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think of Walds as more of art pieces (gorgeous ones at that) than "next level" tools - different, but not necessarily better than STFs.

Will they change my shaving experience from my STF's in any meaningful way?

I'm ready to be proven wrong, but the lack of clarity on these sudden releases is off-putting.

When I check the "shop" page hours before the drop are the brushes marked "sold out" the ones which are about to be released?

Do they suddenly get re-tagged when the drop is live?

He seems to change the rules with each drop, which is of course, his prerogative.

... Thom
This morning there were no 29mm A1's listed until the drop went live and within 10 minutes they were sold out!! I for one am tired of the way he's been dropping brushes and am no longer wanting to add one to my cabinet...in fact I'm thinking at this point the Calyx I have may be finding a new home as I'm sure everytime I use it I will be reminded of the last 2 drops that were just a joke!!

This morning there were no 29mm A1's listed until the drop went live and within 10 minutes they were sold out!! I for one am tired of the way he's been dropping brushes and am no longer wanting to add one to my cabinet...in fact I'm thinking at this point the Calyx I have may be finding a new home as I'm sure everytime I use it I will be reminded of the last 2 drops that were just a joke!!
You know me - I bend over backwards for small artisan companies (@Rudy Vey, @apshaveco, Karve, etc.). These last minute, ambiguous announcements from Jannick however, are beginning to push me over the limit.

He could at least put a header on the "shop" page - something like "coming soon - a new batch of made to order brushes".

... Thom

proxy.php
Raven Nimbus just landed !

You know me - I bend over backwards for small artisan companies (@Rudy Vey, @apshaveco, Karve, etc.). These last minute, ambiguous announcements from Jannick however, are beginning to push me over the limit.

He could at least put a header on the "shop" page - something like "coming soon - a new batch of made to order brushes".

... Thom
You can always subscribe to his newsletter and have that information one day before..

You can always subscribe to his newsletter and have that information one day before..
Which is what I did (subscribe), and I received an email about 8 hours before.

When I surfed over to his shop page, there was a display of several brushes - a different group of brushes than I saw than when the pre-built batch was announced a short while ago. They were marked "sold out" as usual. This was supposed to be a custom batch, which was confusing.

Someone privately explained to me that the display will change when the drop goes live. I assume some dropdowns will appear for custom builds.

I assumed this might be the case, but the entire affair turned me off. I suppose if I thought these knots would be something other than beautiful, I might have put up with this.

They're gorgeous to look at, but I can't believe they'll be a revelation to my shaving experience. If I'm wrong about this, I may never know and that's OK.

I don't mean to be a "downer". Enjoy your brushes everyone. 6-12-18 months from now I might change my mind ... or not ;-)

... Thom

To people unhappy about the way sales occur: it only takes once successful attempt to get one and I think among all the sales it is doable. Now as I was saying there have not been so many sales these recent months. I feel like if they come back to a reasonable rhythm of sales (like once a month or something) getting one should be possible.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I don’t quite understand the drama here. He announces drops - dates and times. If you want to buy, you click on his website at the exact day and time and all available brushes will be ready to buy. Pull the trigger quickly and it’s yours. Yes, they go quickly; but you have just as much a chance as the next guy. Be quick about things. It’s as fair as it can get, IMHO.

Last drop, I got the email at 1 AM the day of. The drop before that I did not get a warning. In my time zone, I have to wake up early to buy the brush, but I don't even know if there will be a drop the night before. I guess I don't have as much a chance as the next guy.

Last edited:
Last drop, I got the email at 1 AM the day of. The drop before that I did not get a warning. In my time zone, I have to wake up early to buy the brush, but I don't even know if there will be a drop the night before. I guess I don't have as much a chance as the next guy.
The time of drops is different. Last was at 3pm CEST and working day, I think before it was more times on Sunday at 9pm CEST. Maybe some next drop will be fine also for your time zone..

Top Bottom