What's new

Wald A1 Synthetic Brush

Yesterday evening my Wald A1 arrived.

This morning’s lather was a learning curve. I didn’t realize it would retain so much water.

So I channeled my B&B brotherhood and loaded more shaving cream.

Great lather. The brush feels fantastic in the hand and on my face.

Looking forward to really getting to know this brush.

If you are on the fence, I can say after one lather, even one I started wrong, it is totally worth it.
View attachment 1604836View attachment 1604838
Beautiful brush. Green is my favorite color—so I almost went with this handle.

This morning’s lather was a learning curve. I didn’t realize it would retain so much water.

If you are on the fence, I can say after one lather, even one I started wrong, it is totally worth it.
Really glad you got one too, I have heard nothing but great things about the Wald, enjoy my friend
Doug

Yeah, it holds a lot of water. It doesn’t dry out fast like other synthetic brushes because of the fibre density. I leave mine standing overnight the same as I would with a badger.

I’m so pleased you liked it from the start.

Oh man, that green is wonderful 🤤

I’ve been thinking about asking Jannik to make me a brush with only the moss green colour. I have liked the plain coloured brushes a lot - I have raven (black) and Werther’s (butterscotch). I think he would be willing to do it.
That would be rad. Or a pour similar to the blue/pink with that glittery copper swirled in. No wrong answers, I just really like that green. The current design is great too.

I’d be tickled if he did a blend of green, orange (butterscotch) and pink for a truly 70s camper van vibe.

I’ve been thinking about asking Jannik to make me a brush with only the moss green colour. I have liked the plain coloured brushes a lot - I have raven (black) and Werther’s (butterscotch). I think he would be willing to do it.
Your black is the bulb, no? The color contrast between handle and knot is striking, while the bulb itself looks amazing.

I recently started a journey on exploring badger brushes after an extended history of synthetic only brushes. After months of using a Rudy Vey Muhle STF 25mm, I simply abandoned my other synthetics and felt no reason to keep going on that front. But then I came across this thread. Just signed up with the Wald email list for notice on the next drop. Love that gold vein colorway and the solid colors as well. I would absolutely take a solid moss green if he offered it.

Enablement complete 🙂

Your black is the bulb, no? The color contrast between handle and knot is striking, while the bulb itself looks amazing.
Yes. I have black with bulb knot and butterscotch with fan. I’m sure there’s a pic of them both earlier in this thread. The bulb and fan feel and perform exactly the same, as far as I can tell, so I’m favouring the Wald A1 bulb lately just because I like the look. Jannik makes the bulb loft 2mm higher than the fan to make them feel the same.

I think with the flat colours you notice the depth of the polish a bit more. But of course the split handles are Wald’s trademark look, and the swirly ones are interesting. They are all beautiful.

Yes. I have black with bulb knot and butterscotch with fan. I’m sure there’s a pic of them both earlier in this thread. The bulb and fan feel and perform exactly the same, as far as I can tell, so I’m favouring the Wald A1 bulb lately just because I like the look. Jannik makes the bulb loft 2mm higher than the fan to make them feel the same.

I think with the flat colours you notice the depth of the polish a bit more. But of course the split handles are Wald’s trademark look, and the swirly ones are interesting. They are all beautiful.
Yes, the black and butterscotch are outstanding colors. Nothing plain about them. I favor a hybrid knot shape these days, but the bulb on your Wald looks close to perfect, and I'm not usually a fan "fan," but that one has me going as well.

I recently started a journey on exploring badger brushes after an extended history of synthetic only brushes. After months of using a Rudy Vey Muhle STF 25mm, I simply abandoned my other synthetics and felt no reason to keep going on that front. But then I came across this thread. Just signed up with the Wald email list for notice on the next drop. Love that gold vein colorway and the solid colors as well. I would absolutely take a solid moss green if he offered it.

Enablement complete 🙂
I like the Mühle STF very much too. If that is your preferred feel and behaviour for a synthetic then I am as confident as I can be that you would love the Wald. I think it improves on everything you like about the STF, but is a similar non-badger-like style of brush.

But we’ll see what others think as they use their new brushes. We all lather differently and nothing works the same for everyone.

I do have a Deep Sea Blue Wald, by the way, but it is a badger (J3 knot, 27mm). Wald badgers have been very difficult to get but a fellow forumite was kind enough to offer me this since he is collecting larger brushes now. FWIW, I think this is as good as an artisan badger knot can be. I haven’t tried a Varlet or Black Eagle, though.

02A49F39-C64A-4CD4-B9FA-57DE6F188B47.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I can visualize owning a completely Wald blue handle brush... I love that colors that make up his "blue".... I'm already on two waiting lists at the moment... I might add another one later in the year.. I think the Wald synth knot would be something different.... not trying to emulate a badger or boar brush... but a totally different genre of shaving brush as been stated previously....

I do have a Deep Sea Blue Wald, by the way, but it is a badger (J3 knot, 27mm). Wald badgers have been very difficult to get but a fellow forumite was kind enough to offer me this since he is collecting larger brushes now. FWIW, I think this is as good as an artisan badger knot can be. I haven’t tried a Varlet or Black Eagle, though.

View attachment 1604958
Good evening, I follow your posts with interest.

A question for you, if you don’t mind.

How do you find Jannik’s J3 badger knot, compared to that of Alessandro’s from V&C VC01 & VC02?

I have a VC02, which I absolutely love and also a Wald A1 with the Deep Sea colourway. I’m tempted by the J3 knot for my next brush purchase, but also by either a VC03 or another VC02 brush from Alessandro.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Good evening, I follow your posts with interest.

A question for you, if you don’t mind.

How do you find Jannik’s J3 badger knot, compared to that of Alessandro’s from V&C VC01 & VC02?

I have a VC02, which I absolutely love and also a Wald A1 with the Deep Sea colourway. I’m tempted by the J3 knot for my next brush purchase, but also by either a VC03 or another VC02 brush from Alessandro.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
I’m afraid I don’t have a Voigt & Copp brush. I’ve admired them - especially the ones with mammoth ivory in the handles. I’m not exactly sure how to order one, but I guess you have to email Alessandro or contact him on Facebook, and I haven’t tried yet.

I’d say the Wald J3 is very natural - no evidence of any gelling at all, though the tips are very white. The hair selection and quality control are immaculate and as you might see from the photo there is not a single black tip, no matter how closely you look. The tips are soft and completely uniform. The brush has highish backbone and is quite dense, but not overdone. It just feels very soft but natural on my face and it was clearly made to perform and feel exactly the way it does, and the attention to detail is perfection. I can’t see how it could be made any better or how the knot specifications could be faulted.

I’m afraid I don’t have a Voigt & Copp brush. I’ve admired them - especially the ones with mammoth ivory in the handles. I’m not exactly sure how to order one, but I guess you have to email Alessandro or contact him on Facebook, and I haven’t tried yet.

I’d say the Wald J3 is very natural - no evidence of any gelling at all, though the tips are very white. The hair selection and quality control are immaculate and as you might see from the photo there is not a single black tip, no matter how closely you look. The tips are soft and completely uniform. The brush has highish backbone and is quite dense, but not overdone. It just feels very soft but natural on my face and it was clearly made to perform and feel exactly the way it does, and the attention to detail is perfection. I can’t see how it could be made any better or how the knot specifications could be faulted.
Many thanks for your response, it seems that I mistook you for a similar poster, for which I apologise.

All of the V&C brushes are natural and no gel tips whatsoever, and I would say that they match up too how you have described the Wald knot.

There are 3 different kinds of knots offered by V&C, all of which are IMHO very good. Alessandro can be contacted via FB, IG and email.

Top Bottom