What's new

Wade help

Ok so I got really curious about the approximate birth year of my Wade I did some research but not enough I'm sure! So like any lazy hooman I'm here asking for some help! Here's some previously posted pix hopefully they help. AND thanks in advance to all responders!! Happy shaves and fruitful restores!!
IMG_20190914_192912.jpg
IMG_20190919_181959.jpg
15691617565666980721955717059141.jpg
15691618283029098044183627818592.jpg

Ok first off, no "England" stamping, pre 1890. Second the india steel stamping 1840s to 1860s (roughly). Third tang shape, yours is thin and long. So if I was to give a ball park estimate I'd say somewhere in 1860's range if that helps. Its difficult to pinpoint exact years, can only give you a range.

Larry

Ok first off, no "England" stamping, pre 1890. Second the india steel stamping 1840s to 1860s (roughly). Third tang shape, yours is thin and long. So if I was to give a ball park estimate I'd say somewhere in 1860's range if that helps. Its difficult to pinpoint exact years, can only give you a range.

Larry
Thank you kindly Sir! A range is perfect just wanted to know approximately how old this girl is!

Thank you kindly Sir! A range is perfect just wanted to know approximately how old this girl is!

Oddly enough the older wade and butchers were easy to identify the years of manufacture. The used to do royal monarchy stamping. Look at my post regarding a resto on an 1830-1837 wade and butcher.

And you are quite welcome, glad I could help!

Larry

Oddly enough the older wade and butchers were easy to identify the years of manufacture. The used to do royal monarchy stamping. Look at my post regarding a resto on an 1830-1837 wade and butcher.

And you are quite welcome, glad I could help!

Larry
Thanks again and don't know if you looked close at the tang on mine there is some sort of marking under the word Sheffield... Does this hold any significance?

Thanks again and don't know if you looked close at the tang on mine there is some sort of marking under the word Sheffield... Does this hold any significance?

That's Wade and Butchers makers mark. The early ones prior to 1890 to 1850 had the makers mark had 3 fletchings top & bottom on the arrows tail. The later ones, 1891 and on were 5 fletchings. The ones prior to yours didn't have the arrow makers mark, that kinda helps in determining the years and gets you in a ballpark number. Took me a while to figure all of this stuff out and researched a lot about it.

Larry

That's Wade and Butchers makers mark. The early ones prior to 1890 to 1850 had the makers mark had 3 fletchings top & bottom on the arrows tail. The later ones, 1891 and on were 5 fletchings. The ones prior to yours didn't have the arrow makers mark, that kinda helps in determining the years and gets you in a ballpark number. Took me a while to figure all of this stuff out and researched a lot about it.

Larry
Fantastic again thank you !!!

Mine looks to only have 3 ??

Which is why I said 1860s for you blade. I have 3 W&Bs, 1 is 1830 to 1837, 2nd is 1860s, 3rd is after 1890. I havent used the oldest yet but the other 2 shave amazing.
Once you decode the differences W&Bs are not hard to figure out a ballpark year. Wanted to give you the full guestimate tell tale signs if you ever see something you like and wanna know how old it was in the future.

Larry

Last edited:
Which is why I said 1860s for you blade. I have 3 W&Bs, 1 is 1830 to 1837, 2nd is 1860s, 3rd is after 1890. I havent used the oldest yet but the other 2 shave amazing.
Once you decode the differences W&Bs are not hard to figure out a ballpark year. Wanted to give you the full guestimate tell tale signs if you ever see something you like and wanna know how old it was in the future.

Larry
you sir are a good man!! Thank you once again!

That is just another indicator it was made closer to the dates they suggested. Good to know if you ever dating other W&B's.

Nice razor. I would like to find a blade with the stamp under the spine like that.

Most W&Bs had that makers mark and the later blades, after 1890s had that mark engraved on the blade. It really made them look stunning. Look at the third from the bottom to see how intricate the engraving was on the later models.

Larry

F49E1D70-B64F-4B58-AE3A-3BB20DF0D303.jpeg

Top Bottom