What's new

Vote: How many passes is your typical shave?

How many passes is your typical shave?

• Total voters
My beard grows in all sorts of crazy directions, so I'll do the closest thing I can come to WTG, XTG and ATG passes, followed by touch up that gets as many of those crazy swirls as I can.

3 passes.
1st with a shavette, cheeks and my neck. Under my nose and underlip is not yet a succes (still learning / practicing)
2nd and 3rd with a safety razor

I guess I do 1 and a half, with the grain then I hit the chin again afterwards.
Two if i'm going for a stubble free feel, with then across the grain.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I say 3 but my first pass can be somewhat undisciplined in that i go down and also to the side.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My beard grows in all sorts of crazy directions, so I'll do the closest thing I can come to WTG, XTG and ATG passes, followed by touch up that gets as many of those crazy swirls as I can.
I've got what I call "cow licks" in my beard too.

I tried to grow a real beard, once.

Guess what I looked like?

Ever see any movies about Jesus? There's always at least one disciple
I say 3 but my first pass can be somewhat undisciplined in that i go down and also to the side.
The Rhody Sliding Glide?

For a DE razor it’s 2 passes everyday, if I did 3 my face would always react badly with razor burn. Lately since I have been home because of NJ and NY rules and working from home I have been using my straight razors a lot. With my straights it’s 3 pass always and I get zero irritation unless a blade is dull and needs a hone.

Larry

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've got what I call "cow licks" in my beard too.

I tried to grow a real beard, once.

Guess what I looked like?

Ever see any movies about Jesus? There's always at least one disciple with a non-speaking role that has my beard.

Don't ask. Had to fix it. ADHD is real, man.

During the workweek, on days that I shave I'll typically do just one pass. That gets me to DFS, which I'm happy with. On weekends when (if) I have more time, I'll sometimes do two passes just for the joy of it, and that will get me as close as I care to get to BBS. Any closer and I start getting road rash.

I used to do three. that pretty much got everything if I went in different directions. With a bit of care I could get 90% there with just two. Ok, I do a bit more touch up so maybe it’s almost 2 1/2.

I do 3.. w, x and atg.. question for the group though... that atg on the upper lip is always a little nerve wracking... anyone else or do you just get by with 2 passes?

2: xtg & atg

This morning I did one atg with a little touch up and it went great, bbs. But, I have a thin beard (but thick hairs).

Used a WS Blue from India with a British regular tech, so that ATG pass wasn’t even aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Using a DE razor I will do a 3 pass shave. With a cartridge razor I will do a 2 pass shave. Sometimes I might go back and do a little buffing if I feel I missed a bit when I rinse my face.

Three passes every time, every time. I tried a slant years ago, still needed three to get my required BBS but got a weepers more often so what was the point?
( here I enter my standard reference to vintage blades ) but when I was using modern blades there was always touch ups to do for that BBS. I got pretty good at things like buffing, the Gillette slide and others. Since I went vintage blades only its three passes and BBS, no touch ups needed ever.

I do 3.. w, x and atg.. question for the group though... that atg on the upper lip is always a little nerve wracking... anyone else or do you just get by with 2 passes?
I've started using a Yaqi Flipside Dual Comb Head for that very reason. The open comb side is milder than the R89/DE89 scalloped side and enables me to go ATG on my upper lip without inducing weepers, providing I'm using a moderately mild razor blade

Top Bottom