What's new

Voshkod Substitutes

I got ahold of a few loose Voshkod blades, having never used these. If I wanted to have a Voshkod shave off for fun, which blades do you think are similar to it and should be selected for a face-off trial?

I have read @ShavingPrimate 's suggestion of the Treet King and I dimly recall also reading that Dorco Primes were similar according to another writer.

It's been a while since I last used one, but I recall the Voskhod being a very smooth blade, but not the sharpest, but still quite efficient in the shave if used in the right razor.

I'm really struggling to think of another blade that performs like it. All other blades that have mentioned that are as smooth are definitely sharper. I've read the Treet King being compared to it, but I absolutely do not get on with any Treet blade I have used. On another forum I post on, someone compared the Suneko to a Voskhod. Maybe the standard Gillette Platinum might be a very smooth blade that in the right razor will produce a nice clean shave too?

The Voskhod is a blade a lot of people like but even though I have a few stock, there are other blades I would always use in preference to it.

As with any kind of blade YMMV as ever.

I might dig one out to see how I get on with one again, it's been ages since I last used one.

I have read @ShavingPrimate 's suggestion of the Treet King and I dimly recall also reading that Dorco Primes were similar according to another writer.

As others have commented, blades like the Dorco are sharper.

The quality of the Voshkod's are their smoothness. This is the same quality of the Treet Kings.

I find the GBS to have a smooth shave, even with their sharpness. The Kings and the Voshkod's have this same type of smoothness.

I would recommend a comparison between the King and the Voshkod, for this reason.

Try a less sharp blade like a Ladas or Rapira Swedish Supersteel from the same factory ...

I used Voskhod almost exclusively while I was learning to shave with a DE razor, and I still have a lot of them on hand. But I've also shaved with ten or twenty each of Ladas and Swedish Supersteel, and I did so back in those early days too. All that is to say I've shaved with all three back when it mattered a LOT more which blade I was using. (Nowadays, I can get a decent shave with most anything.) And I agree, from my experience, that both Ladas and Rapira Swedish Supersteel perform similarly to Voskhod. Of the two, I find Rapira Swedish Supersteel to be good for more shaves than Ladas.

And I'll throw in another suggestion that might seem rather off the wall: Vidyut Super-Max Platinum. Back in those early days, I could hardly tell any difference between them and Voskhod blades. It's been almost a decade since I've used one, but I just got a few recently in a blade exchange, so I'm sure I'll be using one in the near future again.

$22.99 for 100 Voskhod. I paid under $10 less than 3 years ago. I love them but not at over 100% upcharge. And it's not being cheap, it's the principle.

I think they are great blades at $9. But at $23, not so much. I happened to have acquired a decent stock a couple of years back. I wouldn't be buying them at $23...

$22.99 for 100 Voskhod. I paid under $10 less than 3 years ago. I love them but not at over 100% upcharge. And it's not being cheap, it's the principle.
For not much more, you could get American Personnas or Feathers.

And the thing of it for me would be I don't like Voskhods at $8.99. I'm really not going to like them at $22.99.

But Ash, they're becoming scarce! Which would be like trying to explain to me that Natural Light is going to more expensive the Hofbrau Haus dunkel because the supply has dried up and Natural Lite is getting harder to find.

It's still Natural Night.

for smooth and not too sharp blades i suggest: Derby Premium & Parker (similar), Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India), maybe also Lord Platinum. From what i read also, but i havent tested myself yet: Sharp Titanium, Tiger Platinum, Dorco Titan

Last edited:
Top Bottom