What's new

Vitos | Extra Super Coco | Extra Super Rosso+ | 1000 ml | Storage Issues

I’ve successfully stored chunks of Cella and otherwise full jars and pucks of soap for years using a vacuum sealer.

You might just find they work for food as well!

@johnwick makes a great point. I'm kind of heading in that direction. All those instigators I work with are steering me toward sous vide cooking. Bad news for a carnivore like me....

Don

That question is about this...
In the above ^ it looks like there are three Vitos soft soaps, and two of them are red.
Vitos soap is produced in three versions (1kg packaged):

1) Vitos Shaving Soap "Sapone per barba" (box with green logo) - conditionally, the basic version;
2) Vitos Shaving Soap Glycerin Extra Super "Sapone da barba" (box with red logo) - the difference from «green» version in the presence of glycerin;
3) Vitos Shaving Soap Glycerin Extra Super Coco "Sapone da barba" (box with red logo) + coco scent (I can’t say for sure if there is coconut oil).

The last two soaps (with red logo) have same boxes, but the Coco version has a round sticker on the side of box.
All three soaps differ little in smell (on my scent :) ).

I advise to store soap in an airtight packet in refrigerator (not in freezer). A couple of years will remain, if you bought it fresh.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Vitos soap is produced in three versions (1kg packaged):

1) Vitos Shaving Soap "Sapone per barba" (box with green logo) - conditionally, the basic version;
2) Vitos Shaving Soap Glycerin Extra Super "Sapone da barba" (box with red logo) - the difference from «green» version in the presence of glycerin;
3) Vitos Shaving Soap Glycerin Extra Super Coco "Sapone da barba" (box with red logo) + coco scent (I can’t say for sure if there is coconut oil).

The last two soaps (with red logo) have same boxes, but the Coco version has a round sticker on the side of box.
All three soaps differ little in smell (on my scent :) ).

I advise to store soap in an airtight packet in refrigerator (not in freezer). A couple of years will remain, if you bought it fresh.

Can you find photos of the two Reds, or a place to purchase the non-Coco Red?

Thanks for the information and happy shaves,

Jim

Can you find photos of the two Reds, or a place to purchase the non-Coco Red?

Thanks for the information and happy shaves,

Jim

Gifts & Care in Spain has all three showing in stock...

gandc.png

From @Veber and @Atlantic59's posts, along with a little 'net searching I've discovered the following (I think):

Standard Red (Rosso) has these ingredients:
stearic acid, hydrogenated tallow, water, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, sodium hexametaphosphate, talc, benzaldehide.
1588265838359.png

Coconut Red (Rosso+) has these ingredients:
stearic acid, hydrogenated tallow, water, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, sodium hexametaphosphate, talc, benzaldehide, coconut perfume.
1588266070231.png

So apparently, the only difference between them is the addition of Coconut Perfume to the Rosso+ (which would explain the +).

FOOTNOTES

Although Gifts & Care give different titles to the two Reds, i.e. Vitos Shaving Soap Glycerin Extra Super "Sapone da barba" 1KG and Vitos Shaving Soap Glycerin Extra Super "Sapone da barba" Coco 1KG, they show exactly the same picture of the box and exactly the same ingredients, namely:
stearic acid, hydrogenated tallow, water, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, sodium hexametaphosphate, talc, benzaldehide, glycerin.

Obviously that extra "glycerin" tagged on at the end shouldn't be there for the Rosso, and should read "coconut perfume" for the Rosso+.

Benzaldehyde is an aromatic aldehyde bearing a single formyl group with an almond odor. Benzaldehyde can be derived from natural sources and is widely used by the chemical industry in the preparation of various aniline dyes, perfumes, flavorings, and pharmaceuticals.

1588267869116.png

They are exactly the same box except for a tiny sticker on one end of the Coco version.
Sorry, it's my detail freakishness. I meant G&C's photograph, showing the box with the dint on the top left corner, was exactly the same.
No, there are two different "Extra Super" Vitos. One with coconut scent and one without it.
  • Vitos sapone per barba extra super al cocco (Rosso+)
  • Vitos sapone per barba extra super (Rosso)
Yep, I've got that now (at last), thanks. :001_cool:
Thank you Veber. :001_smile

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Anyone try the green version? I've heard a few people say they like it better than the extra super coco red. And I've heard a few people say the opposite too.

I have it (but can't currently find it) and have used it. I like the Red better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Chan Eil Whiskers

I've bought and used all 3 different versions at several times over the years and for the sake of not missing anything out here are my observations between all 3, but of course YMMV applies.

Vitos Green
Scent - Mild Almond/Talcum Powder
Consistency - Firm/Harder as it has no glycerine
Lather - A lot more cushion than the other Vitos Reds, but not as slick

Vitos Red Coco
Scent - Distinctive Amaretto
Consistency - Like soft putty (when new, firms up later)
Lather - Very slick but not that much cushion

Vitos Red (standard) - I bought from ShaveDash
Scent - Mild Almond
Consistency - A bit firmer than the Red Coco, but softer than Vitos Green as it has glycerine
Lather - A mid point between the two above

A few places still sell all three variants in the tallow formulation (Gifts and Care, Goodfellas Smile), I bought my block of Vitos Red (standard) from the latter and I was expecting it to be like one I used but I took it out of the block and it smelled exactly like Vitos Red Coco, I've not opened it as I have another half block of Vitos Red Coco I bought from another retailer. (Gemstone Trading).

I bought half a block of Vitos Red Coco from Gemstone Trading around two and a half years ago and I put it in a zip lock bag in a cool cupboard. I'll take a picture of it and post it up later to show how it looks several years after purchase at some point.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers

I've bought and used all 3 different versions at several times over the years and for the sake of not missing anything out here are my observations between all 3, but of course YMMV applies.

Vitos Green
Scent - Mild Almond/Talcum Powder
Consistency - Firm/Harder as it has no glycerine
Lather - A lot more cushion than the other Vitos Reds, but not as slick

Vitos Red Coco
Scent - Distinctive Amaretto
Consistency - Like soft putty (when new, firms up later)
Lather - Very slick but not that much cushion

Vitos Red (standard) - I bought from ShaveDash
Scent - Mild Almond
Consistency - A bit firmer than the Red Coco, but softer than Vitos Green as it has glycerine
Lather - A mid point between the two above

A few places still sell all three variants in the tallow formulation (Gifts and Care, Goodfellas Smile), I bought my block of Vitos Red (standard) from the latter and I was expecting it to be like one I used but I took it out of the block and it smelled exactly like Vitos Red Coco, I've not opened it as I have another half block of Vitos Red Coco I bought from another retailer. (Gemstone Trading).

I bought half a block of Vitos Red Coco from Gemstone Trading around two and a half years ago and I put it in a zip lock bag in a cool cupboard. I'll take a picture of it and post it up later to show how it looks several years after purchase at some point.

Great information. Thanks so much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Here's the remains of my half block of Vitos Red Coco I bought in November 2017, half of it is left (so 1/4 block) which was stored in a zip lock bag

IMG_20200501_192027.jpg

Here's my block of Vitos Red I bought from Goodfellas Smile, it smells just like the other block so I presume it is the same soap
IMG_20200501_192146_1CS.jpg

Here is my container with a bit of VRC, it dries out and loses most of it scent with a natural tallow scent remaining which isn't the best but the performance is just as superb as ever
IMG_20200501_192515.jpg

I don't have a lid for the container (it's used to store a sample) so it's not been covered in the year or so since I put the chunk of VRC in it. It's not dried out and become unusable like some others have encountered, but maybe I have been lucky.

Wrapped up tight in ziplock bags and put a tin in a cool room seems to work out fine for me - I have kilo blocks of both Vitos Red and Cella in storage.

BTW, I highly recommend Vitos pre-shave, which really kicks the soap up a notch by adding slickness and post-shave. It's a less fluffy consistency than Proraso pre-shave but more oily, and I think I prefer it. Possibly it might be a bit greasy in the summer.

Vitos Red super coco with pre-shave is probably better than Cella. . . I could happily alternate between the two for the rest of the decade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wrapped up tight in ziplock bags and put a tin in a cool room seems to work out fine for me - I have kilo blocks of both Vitos Red and Cella in storage.

BTW, I highly recommend Vitos pre-shave, which really kicks the soap up a notch by adding slickness and post-shave. It's a less fluffy consistency than Proraso pre-shave but more oily, and I think I prefer it. Possibly it might be a bit greasy in the summer.

Vitos Red super coco with pre-shave is probably better than Cella. . . I could happily alternate between the two for the rest of the decade.

Never heard of Vitos pre-shave before. I'll have to look for it. You have a good source?

Thanks for that and for the rest of your post.

Edit: Looked around some and found interesting information...

1588425879063.png1588425943318.png1588425989130.png

Apparently there are different formulas, a couple of scents, and perhaps different container sizes. There are most definitely vendors selling the pre-shave at markedly different prices.

Also ran across a rich source, linked here, if anyone's interested in Susan Darnell's product lines including Vitos.

I'm not a big fan of menthol (except sometimes) unless it's very light (and even then not so much). How faint or strong is the menthol?

In any event, I ordered the one on the left (above) from Connaught. Good price there. Maybe it's the wrong one, but I generally trust Connaught to do me right with what they offer.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of menthol (except sometimes) unless it's very light (and even then not so much). How faint or strong is the menthol?

There's some info in this thread here.

After washing my face well with a local antibacteria soap, I started by soaking the brush in room temperature water. While it was soaking I applied a dab of the Vitos pre/post to my face. The product is very strongly scented with menthol, took me back to being a kid with the Vics rub. The white Vitos cream felt thick, and very little was needed. At first my whiskers turned white, but as I worked it in it disappeared leaving my skin feeling fresh and smooth. It seemed to do a very good job. I would say that for value for money it is a very nice product if you like menthol scent.

Top Bottom