What's new

Vitos | Extra Super Coco | Extra Super Rosso+ | 1000 ml | Storage Issues

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Most days I've been using a soap I wish I'd known about a long time ago because it's both a truly excellent soap and super inexpensive. It's also readily available.

Yes I'm talking about Vitos Red.

Vitos Red 1000ml.png

It's shown here ^ in the 1000 ml container.

Vitos.In Plastic..jpg

Out of the box ^ it looks like a brick of soap.

I initially bought the 100 ml size of this soap from Connaught to give it a try. Obviously I really like it or I wouldn't have sprung for the brick. The soap is in all respects excellent for my shaves. It lathers easily and nicely. It has all the good qualities I want in a great soap. It is also - and this is huge in my world - not drying to my skin even if used day after day after day.

The scent is extremely faint, almost non existent, but quite pleasant when I occasionally smell it. Usually smelling it means sticking my nose near the puck and trying hard to smell the soap; even then it's very faint.

I've not unboxed the soap. The photos are from a vendor's site. But, I know it's a putty like consistency. A so called soft soap, but not all that soft, just soft enough to press into a container with your thumb using some effort.

1588074639572.png

I'm trying to figure out how to store the brick. I want to cut it into a number of pieces. I'll figure out a way to seal each piece and get all or most of the air out; perhaps using freezer bags. I've not weighed the brick but I've read it weighs a pound and a half or a kilo or something like that. It's not small.

Then - and, yes, I've read all the old threads on the subject - where to put it? There are options but which is best?
  • The freezer?
  • The refrigerator?
  • The bottom drawer or back of the closet?
It might not matter, but I'd like to know if you've used one particular storage method and how it worked for you? I've read the soap can spoil (like many soaps).

Here's the label which was on my 100 ml puck.

Vitos.ExtraSuperCoco.SusanDarnell.640.2-17-20.JPG

This is a link to the manufacturer's catalogue (in Italian). Here's a link to Cal's translation of the relevant page in the catalogue. I can't be sure if there are two different "Reds" or just one with two names? Maybe I should write the manufacturer and ask.

In any case, how to store the soap?

Thanks for any pointers, advice, and help.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
The ingredients show the tallow is hydrogenated. That should improve the shelf life compared to Cella.

The main thing is to avoid exposure to air and heat. I'd cut the brick into pieces each large enough to fill your soap container (100-150 grams). Put each piece into a heavy freezer bag and squeeze out the air. Then, put all the pieces into a glass tupperware container and store it in the back of the fridge.

I can't be sure if there are two different "Reds" or just one with two names? Maybe I should write the manufacturer and ask.
On the catalog (page 6) they appear to show two Red+ cartons (i.e. "extra super") along with the single green carton.
1588078696036.png

I imagine the the Red Glycerin (versus Red Extra Super) carton would have no text above the red oval graphic, and look exactly like the green carton (except for the color). So the picture is incorrect.

But just to make life more difficult, I can't find the plain Red Glycerin soap anywhere on the (English speaking) internet, only the Green the Red+ (i.e. Extra Super). Perhaps they only have the Red Glycerin version in Italy.

On the catalog (page 6) they appear to show two Red+ cartons (i.e. "extra super") along with the single green carton.
1588078696036.png

I imagine the the Red Glycerin (versus Red Extra Super) carton would have no text above the red oval graphic, and look exactly like the green carton (except for the color). So the picture is incorrect.

But just to make life more difficult, I can't find the plain Red Glycerin soap anywhere on the (English speaking) internet, only the Green the Red+ (i.e. Extra Super). Perhaps they only have the Red Glycerin version in Italy.
No, there are two different "Extra Super" Vitos. One with coconut scent and one without it.
  • Vitos sapone per barba extra super al cocco
  • Vitos sapone per barba extra super

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1588078696036.png

Maybe Marco @Marco might know?

I know he knows a lot of Italian products very well.

Happy shaves,

Jim

In 14 years, Vitos is one of the only soaps that has gone bad on me. (More than once).
Use it fast.

If you wait too long with it sealed, it turns dark yellow and goes rancid.

if you leave it open too long, or use a loose fitting jar, it turns into a crumbly dried out mess.

I’m not a huge fan. There are a probably a dozen almond soft soaps I prefer to any of the Vitos.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Maybe Marco @Marco might know?

I know he knows a lot of Italian products very well.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Excuse me Jim, I am not sure what the question is. Are you asking which is a safe way to store long-term an Italian soft soap? If so, I wrote a tutorial on this years ago, just give a look in My Wiki page (in my signarure line).

If it's something else, just ask my friend. :)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... Are you asking which is a safe way to store long-term an Italian soft soap? If so, I wrote a tutorial on this years ago, just give a look in My Wiki page (in my signarure line).

Unfortunately the Wiki is still down for an undetermined length of time.

Here is the link:

Seeing all the SOTD from @Cal is why I also recently included a 100ml jar of Vitos in a small Connaught order. I'm hoping it's not the same as Cella (red tub) because that is one of the very few soaps I've come across that lights me up. It was only a few dollars, so worth a try. That order shipped April 20, I think. Based on still waiting from another order from UK I hope I get this before the summer heat melts it while it's en route, hahaha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Excuse me Jim, I am not sure what the question is. Are you asking which is a safe way to store long-term an Italian soft soap? If so, I wrote a tutorial on this years ago, just give a look in My Wiki page (in my signarure line).

If it's something else, just ask my friend. :)

Part of what I'm asking (and what this thread is about is, yes, storage; I've located your post on that and thank you for it), but a second question has arisen.

That question is about this...

1588088962680.png

In the above ^ it looks like there are three Vitos soft soaps, and two of them are red.

...but, my question is also about this (below)...

1588089027343.png

Where both of the Reds appear the same in the packaging.

If there are three different Vitos soaps as mentioned above in the top image, only two of them seem to pictured in the photograph.

Three different soaps seem to be described in the catalogue if I'm reading it right (but I don't read Italian).

Are there two Vitos "Reds?" If there are, Cal and I think we're using the Vitos Extra Super Rosso+

If so, there should be another "Red" on the market, but I can't find one. Maybe it's only available in Italy?

Cal says, and I agree with him, "I imagine the the Red Glycerin (versus Red Extra Super) carton would have no text above the red oval graphic, and look exactly like the green carton (except for the color)."

I hope that explains my question. If not, let me know and I'll ask again in another manner or say more (or Cal will).

Thanks, Marco, and happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Seeing all the SOTD from @Cal is why I also recently included a 100ml jar of Vitos in a small Connaught order. I'm hoping it's not the same as Cella (red tub) because that is one of the very few soaps I've come across that lights me up. It was only a few dollars, so worth a try. That order shipped April 20, I think. Based on still waiting from another order from UK I hope I get this before the summer heat melts it while it's en route, hahaha.

My 1000 ml brick took over a month to arrive from England, but it has arrived.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Part of what I'm asking (and what this thread is about is, yes, storage; I've located your post on that and thank you for it), but a second question has arisen.

That question is about this...

View attachment 1093099

In the above ^ it looks like there are three Vitos soft soaps, and two of them are red.

...but, my question is also about this (below)...

View attachment 1093100

Where both of the Reds appear the same in the packaging.

If there are three different Vitos soaps as mentioned above in the top image, only two of them seem to pictured in the photograph.

Three different soaps seem to be described in the catalogue if I'm reading it right (but I don't read Italian).

Are there two Vitos "Reds?" If there are, Cal and I think we're using the Vitos Extra Super Rosso+

If so, there should be another "Red" on the market, but I can't find one. Maybe it's only available in Italy?

Cal says, and I agree with him, "I imagine the the Red Glycerin (versus Red Extra Super) carton would have no text above the red oval graphic, and look exactly like the green carton (except for the color)."

I hope that explains my question. If not, let me know and I'll ask again in another manner or say more (or Cal will).

Thanks, Marco, and happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, to my knowledge the Vitos are only 2: red and green. But they may have introduced a third one, honestly I do not know. It's quite some time I haven't used it.

Jim,

I use Vitos Extra Super Coco almost exclusively, but I use Vitos cream as well. To me, committing to 1kg of shaving soap means that THAT is what you're going to use for an extended period of time; it doesn't really fit in to the 'ole "50 soaps and creams I have in my rotation stored in my new bathroom addition" plan that some guys have going on!

I quarter mine. I cut out one quarter, press it into a French onion soup dish with a lid, then I re-wrap the rest in the plastic it came in, put it back in the box, and store it in the back of the bathroom cupboard. It gets a little dry, but I've never had it go rancid on me. In my opinion, the more airtight you can get it, the better. I've never refrigerated it, but I don't think it'd hurt. I'm just finishing up my last quarter; almost 2 years of daily shaves with the stuff out of 1 kilo! Again, my best advice is to use it. 1kg really doesn't work in a vast collection of soaps/creams environment.

And yes, I'll order it again. Vitos is an excellent line.

Don

I'll try to talk a couple other guys I know into splitting a brick of this (assuming I like it when I get it). I just don't want to keep that much unused soap around for so long. Based on what I've read, and assuming I continue my (relative to what it was a couple years ago) "small" rotation of 12 soaps + 4 or 5 waiting to added to the rotation, a full brick would last me ~15 years if not longer.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,

I use Vitos Extra Super Coco almost exclusively, but I use Vitos cream as well. To me, committing to 1kg of shaving soap means that THAT is what you're going to use for an extended period of time; it doesn't really fit in to the 'ole "50 soaps and creams I have in my rotation stored in my new bathroom addition" plan that some guys have going on!

I quarter mine. I cut out one quarter, press it into a French onion soup dish with a lid, then I re-wrap the rest in the plastic it came in, put it back in the box, and store it in the back of the bathroom cupboard. It gets a little dry, but I've never had it go rancid on me. In my opinion, the more airtight you can get it, the better. I've never refrigerated it, but I don't think it'd hurt. I'm just finishing up my last quarter; almost 2 years of daily shaves with the stuff out of 1 kilo! Again, my best advice is to use it. 1kg really doesn't work in a vast collection of soaps/creams environment.

And yes, I'll order it again. Vitos is an excellent line.

Don

Thanks, Don. Just the kind of information I'm looking for.

I have a whole lot of soaps like many guys but I've almost entirely been using Vitos Red.

I'd admit to maybe liking the ABC hard soap's luxurious lather a bit more, but it's become unobtainium, and was very expensive to begin with. There are plenty of soaps I like, but I find some of 'em drying to my skin over time, and some stop up the drains in my old house. Vitos seems just right in many ways to me.

So, yes, I bought the brick to use. I probably have a couple more months of shaves left in the original 100 ml puck I first bought. That said, I'm sure I have at least fifty soaps. Some of 'em I like a lot and will use occasionally but I see myself mostly using Vitos because it hits the spot for me. I've mostly used it since I discovered how much I like it. The fact it's very inexpensive gives it bonus points but is not even close to why I like it so much.

I'm not much of a creams guy but wouldn't mind at all hearing more about the Vitos creams. I know zip about them other than the fact they exist.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom