What's new

Vitalis Discontinued?

After months of looking, my local Walmart had 5 bottles on the shelf today. $5.44 ea. Picked up one which should last me a year.

Glad to hear it's back. As I'm bald as a billiard ball I won't be supporting the product. But I do like having some of the older products around when I'm in the grooming aisle.

I started using hair tonics around 2003. My hair was getting more hard to manage as I got older. I have the same hair as my mother's father (who died when I was very young). I recall hearing he used something in his hair so I asked my mom about it. She said, "he used Tiger in his hair." Tiger???

I looked it up and found Lucky Tiger was a hair tonic. I went to look for it at the local stores, but found only Vitalis. I bought some, but being cost conscious at the time, still kept looking for alternatives. I saw Kmart was selling their branded hair tonic for $4.95 for a 12 oz bottle. By around 2010 they stopped selling that. Then I noticed the Texas supermarket chain H.E.B. was selling their own branded hair tonic. Around 2014, they changed it from "Hair Tonic" to "Hair Shine." I guess "tonic" now sounds like it is for old people. Well, in 2019, they also stopped selling it. I thought me buying 2-3 bottles at a time would help keep it going. I still have a bottle left which is half full.

I also have a couple of bottles of Vitalis. I do a lot of traveling in my Suburban. Instead of packing things, I just use some reusable shopping bags with some essentials ready to go. This past week I did another trip, only to pull the bag out to see the Vitalis missing (Found it later, The bag fell over). Ran over to the local Walmart and see there is no Vitalis to be found. Looking online I also saw none of the Walmarts in the area had any. Including some other stores such as Target, nor any type of hair tonics.

I ended up buying Harry's Taming Creme. Nice smell, but did nothing to tame my hair.
Protein 29 is okay, but made my hair a bit stiff.
Wild Root is still sold on the shelf in Mexico, It works great, but I don't like the mineral oil in it as it makes your hair look very greasy.

Looks like I will put in an order for Lucky Tiger. Gramps used it so must be good enough for my hair.

At least good to know Vitalis will still be around

Vitalis was like a really diluted hair gel, as it used an alcohol wax to produce the hold. So if you liked that, a soft hold hair gel, used sparingly, is probably the way to go.

I grew up with Lucky Tiger, it was what was used on the military bases we lived near as a kid. It's really more of a scalp tonic and has minimal hold, less than Vitalis.

That really sucks. Vitalis is the only hair product I've ever used. That being said, it's been over 50 years since I've used any hair product. Reminds me, many many many years ago had a electronic/video store and rented VHS tapes. A guy comes in, looks around and ask where are the videos? He said this is the only place I rent videos from, how could you stop renting videos. Then I gave him the bad news, we stopped renting videos 6 years ago.

I finally got the new Vitalis from Walmart. After trying it out, I must say they must have bought the trademark name, and not the recipe for the product. For Vitalis I would just apply a little to my hair and that was all was needed. With this new stuff, not only does it smell different, after it had dried, it is like I have not even put anything in my hair.

The first time, I applied just a little as my hair is a little shorter now. Nothing. I then fill the palm of my hand with liquid, then apply. I ended up repeating it again with the same results; like nothing has been put in my hair.

Looks like I will turn to Lucky Tiger.

I bought one a couple of months ago, so unless it's happened in a very short period of time, I feel like it should still be out there. Maybe it's just one of those things where they've had issues manufacturing it because of all of the crap that's happened since the beginning of the pandemic and it'll straighten itself out? Otherwise, there are definitely lots of alcohol based tonics out there. I highly recommend Reuzel Grooming Tonic.

I bought one a couple of months ago, so unless it's happened in a very short period of time, I feel like it should still be out there. Maybe it's just one of those things where they've had issues manufacturing it because of all of the crap that's happened since the beginning of the pandemic and it'll straighten itself out? Otherwise, there are definitely lots of alcohol based tonics out there. I highly recommend Reuzel Grooming Tonic.
I spoke with a representative from the new company who purchased the brand. I was informed the purchase was still in transition, and the old company is still manufacturing it. The problem bottles came out of Mexico. When you finally see "Made in El Paso" on them, then that is when the new owner is manufacturing them.

Since the Vitalis "Made in Mexico" was not working out great, I went to Sally Beautiful Supply and found Jeris Hair Tonic. And again this was just like putting water on my hair.

I will give Reuzel a look up.

I spoke with a representative from the new company who purchased the brand. I was informed the purchase was still in transition, and the old company is still manufacturing it. The problem bottles came out of Mexico. When you finally see "Made in El Paso" on them, then that is when the new owner is manufacturing them.

Since the Vitalis "Made in Mexico" was not working out great, I went to Sally Beautiful Supply and found Jeris Hair Tonic. And again this was just like putting water on my hair.

I will give Reuzel a look up.
Just make sure you don't get the hair tonic, that one comes in I think with blue colored juice, and it's good, but it's more for cleaning your hair and stuff while the grooming tonic is more for styling, and that's the one I'm referring to.

Anything new on this? Trying to find some with hopefully Dihydroabietyl Alcohol. Has any purchased:

Hill Country Essentials Classic Hair Tonic​

According to the HEB site it contains Dihydroabietyl Alcohol...but, it's out of stock.

Thanks.

Well, if the HEB Hill Country Classic (which seemed to be a remake of the OLD Vitalis) is gone and the old Vitalis is gone as well. What's the best alternative?
Thanks!

Top Bottom