What's new

Vitalis Discontinued?

The brand was sold earlier this year (along with a bunch of others), and now I noticed Vitalis is no longer for sale in Walmart or on Amazon. Also, there are barely any listings left on ebay . I wonder if the new owner (HRB Brands) is discontinuing the product or if they plan to keep making it (hopefully going back to the formula before the ingredients were changed a few years ago).

I noticed this as well. God that sucks, as I love Vitalis. Can't find it on Amazon or eBay, that must mean they are either discontinuing it or if Zest owns it maybe re-packaging it (Let's hope). The only other Hair Tonic in existence that is close to Vitalis is Lucky Tiger, as all the other tonics are "different" kind of tonics.

• Pinaud is for the scalp only, doesn't have any hold, makes head smell nice
  • Gabels same as Pinaud
  • Vaseline Hair tonic is really a brilliantine and not a hair tonic
  • Reuzal (Blue) is like Pinaud
  • Grooming Reuzal is like a liquid "gel" making your head like cement.

Last edited:
Yeah. I'm hoping this is just temporary, and that they're going to reformulate Vitalis, restore the ingredients that were removed a few years ago and then bring it back, similar to what was done with Sea Breeze by the same company. I have a couple of bottles of Lucky Tiger. I actually like it a lot. Currently though I've replaced Vitalis with Protein 29 (another classic product where the brand has been bought and sold several times). It works almost identically to Vitalis, maybe even better in my opinion. The only issue with it is the scent. It literally smells like Windex.

I agree about the Pinaud tonics. They smell nice but just don't really have any "useful" ingredients, with the exception of Osage Rub, which I use every morning but even that has no styling properties.

I haven't tried Protein 29 yet but it has "hold" like Vitalis? Interesting, but Windex, err. I have some older tonics like Aqua Velva which is like Vitalis but has a more Aqua Velva scent to it. Lucky Tiger smells better than Vitalis but is the most "tacky" I have seen, but overall I like it too.

Hair tonics like Vitalis and Lucky Tiger are very rare nowadays, but I am glad you told me about Protein 29 and its ability to have "hold". Might try it.

I use tonics for different purposes (at night to freshen my scalp), or I will use Vitalis on days I don't want to be dapper. On dapper days, I may use either "Brylcreem" or the classic "Groom and Clean". More causal days, Vitalis or Lucky Tiger

Last edited:
I haven't tried Protein 29 yet but it has "hold" like Vitalis? Interesting, but Windex, err. I have some older tonics like Aqua Velva which is like Vitalis but has a more Aqua Velva scent to it. Lucky Tiger smells better than Vitalis but is the most "tacky" I have seen, but overall I like it too.

Hair tonics like Vitalis and Lucky Tiger are very rare nowadays, but I am glad you told me about Protein 29 and its ability to have "hold". Might try it.

I use tonics for different purposes (at night to freshen my scalp), or I will use Vitalis on days I don't want to be dapper. On dapper days, I may use either "Brylcreem" or the classic "Groom and Clean". More causal days, Vitalis or Lucky Tiger
Yes, Protein 29 has a similar hold and consistency as Vitalis and Lucky Tiger. The scent isn't great, but has grown on me a bit. It smells a bit like Groom & Clean but less appealing in my opinion. Brylcreem rules, but my hair is thinner so I can't really pull off that look anymore. I have some tubes of Groom and Clean from a few years ago, but I stopped buying them now that the product is made in India (once again another case of a classic brand being sold).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Out of stock

How about - "A Little Dab'll Do Ya"
shopping.png

I don't even use Vitalis, I'm a Beau Kreml/Protein 29 guy. But reading that it is discontinued makes me want to find a bottle of it. If it hasn't been too long, small independent drug stores are often good place to look.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Dang! I threw away a bottle of Vitalis last week while cleaning out under the bathroom cabinet. “Does this get used? No? Garbage“. Had I known I would have saved it!

So I loved me some Vitalis. That being said the only problem I ever had was when I wore a hat at work it would stain my hat. So I switched to suavecito hair cream because of work. It isn't shinny and dries with great hold along with being able to run your fingers through your hair.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211108-201747.png
    Screenshot_20211108-201747.png
    509.3 KB · Views: 112

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Maybe they ran out of "V7." Supply chain issue, as most V7 is likely made overseas these days.;)

I used Vitalis as a kid, but haven't used it in close to 50 years. My dad continued to use it up until he retired around 2000.

Top Bottom