What's new

Vintage Stereo System Love

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
This may be oranges to all of y'all's apples, but a few years ago, my wife and I scored a mid '60s Dumont console stereo. It has a Garrard turntable, and all tube electronics. The cabinet has a few scratches due to its age, but as a piece of furniture, it's beautiful. As a stereo, it is absolutely wonderful! There's nothing like hearing old Dean, Frank, Miles, Dave Brubeck, the Ventures, or Buck Owens records through those tubes. They all sound so "warm". It really takes me back to my youth. The smell of this one when I open the lid, smells just like the one my parents had when I was little.

View attachment 1520032View attachment 1520033

...and here it is in our new house:
View attachment 1520034

I still have make time to clean up the right speaker grille. Once I do that, I'll probably have to clean the left one, too, so they'll match.

Good for you. Enjoy. It really ain’t got no groove if it ain’t got tubes. I chased the high end for years. But eventually came back home to golden era tube gear some decades ago.

Almost everything I listen to passes through them. Vintage tubed stereo receivers all over the house, vintage tubed separates feeding some now classic Thiels. A 65 year old Grundig table radio in the bedroom. Some really beautiful equipment, all fully reconditioned years ago on my bench.

Music is just more alive with bottles glowing inside. Right now I am listening to Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Martin and Monro crooning though equipment and tubes made when Ike and Kennedy were President. The other night it was Gentleman Jim Reeves all evening long.

Maybe some pictures later.

The only exception is a Marantz 2230 in our garage, which is pretty decent sounding for a slightly later box of Japanese sand.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Good for you. Enjoy. It really ain’t got no groove if it ain’t got tubes. I chased the high end for years. But eventually came back home to golden era tube gear some decades ago.

Almost everything I listen to passes through them. Vintage tubed stereo receivers all over the house, vintage tubed separates feeding some now classic Thiels. A 65 year old Grundig table radio in the bedroom. Some really beautiful equipment, all fully reconditioned years ago on my bench.

Music is just more alive with bottles glowing inside. Right now I am listening to Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Martin and Monro crooning though equipment and tubes made when Ike and Kennedy were President. The other night it was Gentleman Jim Reeves all evening long.

The only exception is a Marantz 2230 in our garage, which is pretty decent sounding for a slightly later box of Japanese sand.
Vintage tube gear is cool as hell man! Alas getting them safely up and running and keeping them that way.....nope, not for me. I have been zapped so many times I sweat and shake changing a light bulb.

ylekot

I have thought about getting one of the newer tube stereo amps, Monoprice or Amazon has them, .and hooking my Cerwin Vega's up to it. the CV's are quite efficient so don't need a ton of power to perform. I'm just hesitant because sound perception is so individual and I'm worried that the gooey tube goodness isn't built into the new stuff the same. I remember my father having some gigantic beast when I was little, The inside looked like a pile of spaghetti, I know now it was "point to point" wiring. Wish I had it now or even knew what it was. BIG VU meters on the front, man it was cool.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Vintage tube gear is cool as hell man! Alas getting them safely up and running and keeping them that way.....nope, not for me. I have been zapped so many times I sweat and shake changing a light bulb.

The issue with tube gear today, especially for folks just dipping their toes in it, are the tubes themselves. The particular tubes, and not any tube, are where the magic happens. And we have entered a new era of tubes and availability. I’m frankly surprised by it, and not much surprises me anymore in life.

Most of the old vintage stocks are gone now. The musicians ate them all up in the popular types over the years, chewing them up in their Voxes, Fenders and Marshalls. For the old hands, we still have caddies of golden classics for ourselves. Many a $5 hamfest buy in my caddies are now $250 bottles. But for someone just starting, it’s now daunting and increasingly expensive. Many of the remaining ’NOS’ tubes left are rejects from the field that need thorough culling. Even used/test good vintage glass is commanding a ridiculous premium.

That leaves current production, which 30-40 years ago we turned our noses up at. It has gotten better, the Russians in particular, but still not quite up to the heyday standards. With the politics, there are now shortages, and prices have gotten nutty. Seventy dollars for a Saratov small signal tube is flat out nuts. I don’t care how much the pins are gold plated.

But that is what most of the vendors are now left with: limited stocks of Russian and Chinese bottles … and old musician standby JJs, which is an ok tube for hi-fi. The factory tests, screens and matches them, and puts ever fancier paint and logos on them. But they’re still just Russian and Chinese new production.

And most bigger vendors now cater 90% to the musicians, so the audio buyers are the red headed stepchildren that no one thinks about much anymore. They audition them for overdrive and clipping, not your vinyl. So you need to do a lot of your own research, or ask the old hands for advice.

I never thought I’d see the day where people were paying $35-40 for Chinese tubes. Back in the day, they were $3 bottle rockets that sometimes threatened the equipment, and were only found as heavily screened OE to save money. The only consolation is that the better designers sometimes voiced their gear around them, which makes rolling a little more interesting and flexible with them.

All of this is not meant to be snobby. It’s just an honest survey to help beginners proceed with caution. Even the Russian tubes, if thoughtfully chosen, will sound better than most transistor circuits (imo). Just be prepared to spend a lot more than we did back in the day, and you still may not get the full “Holy Wow! That guy is right here!” we did out of them when it all clicked. But you should be pleasantly surprised nevertheless.

Don’t let what I am telling you dissuade you from it. Odd order harmonic distortion sounds lousy in comparison, no matter the price of the sandbox. There’s a reason some of the old recordings still sound so incredible. It was because it was recorded and mastered through tubes. You can still bring that magic back in your home system.

If you can find a gently used piece from an old granny (played only on holidays) with the original tubing, grab it, fully recap it, and enjoy the heck out of it. Those old bottles are the magic makers. It was the product of SOTA electronics production and research of the world’s largest companies back in the day. Precision manufacturing and the very best materials. And we will never quite see it, or hear it, ever again.

ylekot

The issue with tube gear today, especially for folks just dipping their toes in it, are the tubes themselves. The particular tubes, and not any tube, are where the magic happens. And we have entered a new era of tubes and availability. I’m frankly surprised by it, and not much surprises me anymore in life.

Most of the old vintage stocks are gone now. The musicians ate them all up in the popular types over the years, chewing them up in their Voxes, Fenders and Marshalls. For the old hands, we still have caddies of golden classics for ourselves. Many a $5 hamfest buy in my caddies are now $250 bottles. But for someone just starting, it’s now daunting and increasingly expensive. Many of the remaining ’NOS’ tubes left are rejects from the field that need thorough culling. Even used/test good vintage glass is commanding a ridiculous premium.

That leaves current production, which 30-40 years ago we turned our noses up at. It has gotten better, the Russians in particular, but still not quite up to the heyday standards. With the politics, there are now shortages, and prices have gotten nutty. Seventy dollars for a Saratov small signal tube is flat out nuts. I don’t care how much the pins are gold plated.

But that is what most of the vendors are now left with: limited stocks of Russian and Chinese bottles … and old musician standby JJs, which is an ok tube for hi-fi. The factory tests, screens and matches them, and puts ever fancier paint and logos on them. But they’re still just Russian and Chinese new production.

And most bigger vendors now cater 90% to the musicians, so the audio buyers are the red headed stepchildren that no one thinks about much anymore. They audition them for overdrive and clipping, not your vinyl. So you need to do a lot of your own research, or ask the old hands for advice.

I never thought I’d see the day where people were paying $35-40 for Chinese tubes. Back in the day, they were $3 bottle rockets that sometimes threatened the equipment, and were only found as heavily screened OE to save money. The only consolation is that the better designers sometimes voiced their gear around them, which makes rolling a little more interesting and flexible with them.

All of this is not meant to be snobby. It’s just an honest survey to help beginners proceed with caution. Even the Russian tubes, if thoughtfully chosen, will sound better than most transistor circuits (imo). Just be prepared to spend a lot more than we did back in the day, and you still may not get the full “Holy Wow! That guy is right here!” we did out of them when it all clicked. But you should be pleasantly surprised nevertheless.

Don’t let what I am telling you dissuade you from it. Odd order harmonic distortion sounds lousy in comparison, no matter the price of the sandbox. There’s a reason some of the old recordings still sound so incredible. It was because it was recorded and mastered through tubes. You can still bring that magic back in your home system.

If you can find a gently used piece from an old granny (played only on holidays) with the original tubing, grab it, fully recap it, and enjoy the heck out of it. Those old bottles are the magic makers. It was the product of SOTA electronics production and research of the world’s largest companies back in the day. Precision manufacturing and the very best materials. And we will never quite see it, or hear it, ever again.
This is AWESOME!!

Went back home last week only to find that my brother had thrown out a pristine Technics SA 700 because "It didn't work". I didn't even have the chance to rescue or repair the old girl. She's just gone.

I threw out my Pioneer SA-9100 integrated amp when a channel went dead. Didn't know about vintage stereo repair then, but now frequent a couple of shops and have some new old gear to go with my old, old gear. My basement system:
1669741014051.jpeg

1669741060168.jpeg

TT is a Philips GA-212, Speakers are JBL L100A, Cassette deck is Sony TC-K81. More upstairs, and a lot more vinyl. Love the old sound and wish I had tubes...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
A while back, I rescued my old Technics SA-101receiver and turntable along with my big Bose 401 speakers and Pioneer CD player that were languishing in the basement of my parents home. I also rescued about 300 records and CD's. A bit of dusting and Deoxit and everything is as good as new.

It's a fairly basic system from my high school days. I completely forgot what a sumptuous sound my old stereo produces. So much better than streaming IMO.

Anyone else out there returning to old stereo systems and vinyl/CD's?
Wishoot:
plus-one-png.797576
...rings back 'old-school' memories of listening to music...you should see if you can 'snag' a Technics amplifier unit. 🤤

Listen to Music.jpg “Music is at the same time an enjoyment, an indulgence and an escape from reality”. CBJ

That is something most people are not understanding. Although there are many nice sounding modern tube amps, the real magic lies with using NOS tubes. I do have some NOS RFT EL34's.

They do wonderful things with my horn speakers.

I only use my tube amps on horn or legacy speakers.

I use strictly SS on all my modern tower and bookshelf speakers.

It was the product of SOTA electronics production and research of the world’s largest companies back in the day. Precision manufacturing and the very best materials. And we will never quite see it, or hear it, ever again.
Yeah, they can make new tubes but they will never make tubes the way that they used to.

People have no idea that tube factories were the size of automobile factories.

Top Bottom