What's new

Vintage Stereo System Love

Ugh...
I have one of those too. It sounds like they used a chunk of gravel in place of a needle.

You'll be happy with one of those ATs. Or poke around Facebook Marketplace for a deal on a used turntable.
I kinda want one of these:

And a Third Man Records Spinnerette. That’s all. And a Yellow Submarine Portfolio. I’m not crazy, I can stop anytime I want, I just don’t want to.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I do not have these speakers but I have heard them at a friend's Man Cave. Two of these, a nice tube amp and a world class turntable and I'm in music heaven. :)
7afcc2db1c3834c8ee34366f1c7b50bc.jpg

Been in the vintage game for a while—

I use an Empire 598 III Troubadour turntable (Stanton 681eee cart), a Marantz 4400 quad receiver (with functional onboard oscilloscope!), and KEF 104/2 speakers.

Well, used—dear wife not enamored of all the real estate taken up by the system. So I moved to active KEF LS50 speakers with the Empire sitting between them. I've been using a cheap Schiit Mani phono stage but will talk myself into a Darlington Labs MP-7 soon, unless...

I get my wish and the LS50s fritz out, and the beastly Marantz and 104/2s make their comeback.

This may be oranges to all of y'all's apples, but a few years ago, my wife and I scored a mid '60s Dumont console stereo. It has a Garrard turntable, and all tube electronics. The cabinet has a few scratches due to its age, but as a piece of furniture, it's beautiful. As a stereo, it is absolutely wonderful! There's nothing like hearing old Dean, Frank, Miles, Dave Brubeck, the Ventures, or Buck Owens records through those tubes. They all sound so "warm". It really takes me back to my youth. The smell of this one when I open the lid, smells just like the one my parents had when I was little.

1662776882240.png
1662776967147.png

...and here it is in our new house:
1662777192972.png

I still have make time to clean up the right speaker grille. Once I do that, I'll probably have to clean the left one, too, so they'll match.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sansui G-8700DB (fully restored)
Magnepan 1.5qr speakers
Denon VL12 Turntable
Nakamichi CassetteDeck2

I just acquired the Maggies. They need a good push of power so the Sansui is a great match for them. I don’t really have the space in my house to spread them out the way they like but they still sound nice.
View attachment 1517560View attachment 1517565
Maggies have always had such a rich sound... I've never owned a pair but I've listened to music played through them many times over the years.

Nice LP collection.... well, Nicely displayed... I have no idea what they are.... I'm hoping not hip hop. <eg>

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

The Pro-Ject listed by @Esox is a much better 'Table. :)
My now ancient Rega Planar 3 shares the same design goals, I think.... simple... great motor and bearing. My plinth is fairly thick glass with a felt mat on top... I'll bet they sound similar.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Running a Linn LP12 (purchased in '86) fitted with a Syrinx PU-3 tone arm and Koetsu Rosewood Signature MC cartridge. Fed to a passive Cotter Head Amp, then to a Musical Fidelity (valve) outboard phono stage, then to a Krell KAV-300 amp. Amp feeds biwired Acoustic Energy AE-1 speakers (purchased in 1992). Still sounds wonderful.
For digital, utilise hi-res (24/96 or 24/192) resolution files feeding a Chord Mojo DAC, then on to the Krell.
Interconnects and speaker wiring utilised is commensurate with the quality of the rquipment.
Back when I was assembling my system, the Rega Planar 3 was described as a poor man's Linn by Stereophile and a few other audio rags. I could really only afford mid-fi but I was able to assemble a system that enabled us to love the music.

That was the first album I picked up, at an antique store, after we got the Dumont. Again, it was something I remember from my parents small record collection. Green Peppers is one of the coolest songs on that album.

Maggies have always had such a rich sound... I've never owned a pair but I've listened to music played through them many times over the years.

Nice LP collection.... well, Nicely displayed... I have no idea what they are.... I'm hoping not hip hop. <eg>
Thanks! Lots of psych/garage/experimental. Lots of jazz. SWMBO has a shelf full of Barbra Streisand in there. Some hip hop for sure. After working at a record store for 12 years this is the mess I’ve managed to put together.

Back when I was assembling my system, the Rega Planar 3 was described as a poor man's Linn by Stereophile and a few other audio rags. I could really only afford mid-fi but I was able to assemble a system that enabled us to love the music.
There’s nowt wrong with a RP3; an excellent turntable fitted with an equally good tonearm. Provided it is accurately set up, leveled, and well isolated, it a capable of top class reproduction. In addition to detail, I have always found it to have a poised and wonderfully warm character.

Top Bottom