What's new

Vintage Stereo System Love

A while back, I rescued my old Technics SA-101receiver and turntable along with my big Bose 401 speakers and Pioneer CD player that were languishing in the basement of my parents home. I also rescued about 300 records and CD's. A bit of dusting and Deoxit and everything is as good as new.

It's a fairly basic system from my high school days. I completely forgot what a sumptuous sound my old stereo produces. So much better than streaming IMO.

Anyone else out there returning to old stereo systems and vinyl/CD's?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A while back, I rescued my old Technics SA-101receiver and turntable along with my big Bose 401 speakers and Pioneer CD player that were languishing in the basement of my parents home. I also rescued about 300 records and CD's. A bit of dusting and Deoxit and everything is as good as new.

It's a fairly basic system from my high school days. I completely forgot what a sumptuous sound my old stereo produces. So much better than streaming IMO.

Anyone else out there returning to old stereo systems and vinyl/CD's?
I still have my Rega turntable and Rega CD player... Van Alstine pre-amp and amp. Vandersteen speakers and a tuner. I use it quite a bit.. though I haven't played one of my 300 or so LPs for a while. I have over 1200 CDs last count. I still love the sound of a real stereo setup.... I stream on Amazon music and if I like the album, I buy the CD.

I'm a fan!

Never got into streaming. LP is all I listen to at home for the past 15y or so. I still own hundreds and bootleg .flac and lossless audio CD's but they don't get pulled out much these days.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Very nice set up.
It's mid-fi by most standards... but together, they make nice music. My ears aren't what they were when I bought them years ago so upgrading would be counter productive, I think. They get used almost every day now. We got rid of cable TV... that seems to have improved our quality of life... more music.. less other stuff. We still watch stuff from the steaming services in the evenings: movies, series, documentaries, etc., but I get the news from an online newspaper... that seems to suffice. I do like the NFL so I'll get a digital antenna before the season starts for that. ;)

1652722181400.png

I used to have these Infinity speakers. The neighbors didn't appricate them. I always had to turn them down. They were double amp capable and I did double amp them. My new bride hated them and than kids. I really wish I still had them.

I saw a set of 901D in an antique store the other day. They were looking really rough and the asking price was still way too much. But it was cool to see them.

I have a Kraco receiver I use into a good set of headphones. My wife doesn't enjoy music. At least I have my own room (Mancave) for my stuff, razors, radios, and music.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I gave my sister my old Technics SA101, Technics SL1200 and all my vinyl when I upgraded. She still has it and it all works fine. Even my 'upgrade' is 22 years old now but listening to proper .flac rips with B 'n K power through Mirage speakers and subwoofer, the vinyl sound is still there, theres just a whole lot more of it.

I have been using audio equipment for the past 60 years. However, most of the stuff I now use was purchased in the past 20 years. In older electronic equipment capacitors often start to deteriorate. This is especially true of the large electrolytic filter capacitors that were so common in amplifier power supplies.

With speakers, vintage equipment often contained drivers with paper cones and foam rubber surrounds. The paper can become brittle and tear. The foam surrounds can deteriorate. Thus, you may need to repair or replace older drivers. I replaced all of my older speakers including a couple of ADC 303AX with 10" woofers that I used to love.

I still have a Garrard SL95B turntable that was one of the most highly recommended when I purchased it back in the late 60s. However, over the past decades the bushings and needle bearing have deteriorated. Likewise, the electronic connections for the phono cartridge have corroded. I now play vinyl on a Audio Technica turntable and cartridge.

Top Bottom