What's new

Vintage Proraso Shaving Cream with Pictures

I recently picked up some tubes of Vintage Proraso Shaving Cream. If anyone knows the year this was made please let me know. I have finished one tube and I have started on a second tube. It is definitely different than current production Proraso shaving cream. It has a similar refreshing eucalyptus sensation and scent, but it is considerably milder in sensation to the skin and warmer smelling in scent. It lathers easily and performs well.

I first started using Proraso around 2005 which was at the time a different formulation compared to the current production formula as many of you are aware, but I did not know the formula was also different prior to the formula I first discovered around 2005 which as previously stated is different than the current formula. Personally, I still prefer the formula I first discovered around 2005 as it was stronger in scent and skin sensation than both the vintage version I am showing here and the current formulation.
I posted a few pictures below.

Thanks, Mullard

F1F6D5FF-A511-47F5-A4D7-F26BFB68164F.jpeg
B2CD51BC-D191-4242-BF98-6D43E93890FE.jpeg
AF67E9F8-5408-4B5E-B6C8-4BE19B92F9C0.jpeg

This is a great description of Proraso through the years. Thank you very much Naughtilus! The cream I am currently using is from the 80s based on the description. When I mentioned that I started using Proraso around 2005 in my above post, I was referring to the 90s version based on your picture. Of the three eras I have now tried (80s, 90s, 2000s), I personally prefer the 90s formulation. It was stronger in scent (somewhat medicinal) and tingle to the face, but for me personally, I appreciated those qualities. Especially on a hot and humid summer day.

This is a great description of Proraso through the years. Thank you very much Naughtilus! The cream I am currently using is from the 80s based on the description. When I mentioned that I started using Proraso around 2005 in my above post, I was referring to the 90s version based on your picture. Of the three eras I have now tried (80s, 90s, 2000s), I personally prefer the 90s formulation. It was stronger in scent (somewhat medicinal) and tingle to the face, but for me personally, I appreciated those qualities. Especially on a hot and humid summer day.

The '90s Proraso formula is considered better than what followed (removal of SLS, parabens etc.), but now there is a new (better) formula launched for 2020.
Proraso new packaging designs 2019?

Proraso cut way back on the eucalyptus oil over the years, just as Omega severely cut back on eucalyptus and camphor oils.

Proraso cut way back on the eucalyptus oil over the years, just as Omega severely cut back on eucalyptus and camphor oils.

I have noticed this myself in the transition from the 90s versions to the 2000s versions as illustrated in the picture above.
However, I have noticed the biggest change in their aftershave splash. I have have some bottles of their aftershave splash from the 1980s that I am soon to use will try to post about in the aftershave section. From smelling the product, I can tell that it takes on similar characteristics of the 1980s shaving cream that I have posted about here in that it smells warmer and smoother than what came after in the 90s version which was crisp, fresh, and somewhat medicinal in scent. Of the three eras (80s, 90s, 2000s) I have used, the 90s version is my favorite.

I also have the aftershave splash from this 1980s era and it pairs well with the cream in that it is milder and smoother in scent and feeling in comparison to later versions.

Top Bottom