What's new

Vintage Old Spice - What to do?

What should I do?

• Do not use it and preserve it for posterity.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use it and enjoy it.

Votes: 63 100.0%

• Total voters

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I found the same thing years ago. Used the soap, it was good. Not the mega soap many think it was compared to today's best offerings, but it is a truly good soap. Now I use the mug for other stuff.

Have fun witht that!

P.S. Oh, and about the A/S. I do like it, as well. In another forum it was determined that the Indian Old Spice is the Shulton your grandpa used to use. They used a mass spectrometer, if you can believe it. Comes in a glass bottle, too. I get them from India and shake them into my Shulton bottle using a small funnel. Great stuff.
I’ve used Old Spice for many years and found the Indian only faintly like the “old” stuff. The scent of the currently available Old Spice is the same as the old but the old was stronger - too strong in my opinion. I prefer the new and the plastic bottle doesn’t bother me at all.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I’ve used Old Spice for many years and found the Indian only faintly like the “old” stuff. The scent of the currently available Old Spice is the same as the old but the old was stronger - too strong in my opinion. I prefer the new and the plastic bottle doesn’t bother me at all.

Well, all due respect to “what you’ve found”, this one isn’t YMMV. It’s objective. The post in A/S used to be a sticky, maybe I’ll look it up, but it was by a chemist who put the Shulton original, the Indian stuff, and the new stuff in a mass spectrometer and posted the graphs. I’ll take that over your nose and memory. The new stuff is just fine, no argument there at all. I like it.

But the Indian stuff IS the original, and the new stuff is not. And that’s just the facts.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well, all due respect to “what you’ve found”, this one isn’t YMMV. It’s objective. The post in A/S used to be a sticky, maybe I’ll look it up, but it was by a chemist who put the Shulton original, the Indian stuff, and the new stuff in a mass spectrometer and posted the graphs. I’ll take that over your nose and memory. The new stuff is just fine, no argument there at all. I like it.

But the Indian stuff IS the original, and the new stuff is not. And that’s just the facts.
Not at all.

To the OP. Use it. I'm using one from time to time now and have two in reserve. It's enjoyable enough. It really doesn't have enough value as a collector's item to not use it.

I'd like to thank everyone that responded to the poll. It was a unanimous vote to use it! I was fully on board to break into the new set but my only concern was that I would use it once, not like it, and regret using a brand new vintage set. So, I did what any self-respecting B&B'er would do, I went online and found another used set that had plenty of soap left and bought it. Now I can have my soap and use it too! Also, in the meantime, I tracked down two full bottles of the Shulton aftershave to complete the vintage experience. This morning was my maiden voyage on board the Ship Recovery along with my grandfather's Sanex pure badger brush as my first mate. Soaked the brush during my shower and gave it a good shake before proceeding to swirl it on the puck. Immediately, a wonderful creamy lather emerged along with a great fragrance that was completely new to me (I'm 35 and as far as I know, no one in my family used Old Spice while I was alive to smell it). Took the brush right to my face and started to build a lather. Completed three passes and ended up BBS with zero irritation. Finished it off with a dab of hyaluronic acid and two shakes of the aftershave. Although I have no nostalgia or family attachment to Old Spice I can understand why it it so well loved around here.

IMG_20210911_063721186.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I found the same thing years ago. Used the soap, it was good. Not the mega soap many think it was compared to today's best offerings, but it is a truly good soap. Now I use the mug for other stuff.

Have fun witht that!

P.S. Oh, and about the A/S. I do like it, as well. In another forum it was determined that the Indian Old Spice is the Shulton your grandpa used to use. They used a mass spectrometer, if you can believe it. Comes in a glass bottle, too. I get them from India and shake them into my Shulton bottle using a small funnel. Great stuff.

Well darn it all! Here is the old gas chromatography thread

But now I’ve read the Indian OS has been reformulated now!!! Why can’t they quit messing with the classics?

*sigh*

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well darn it all! Here is the old gas chromatography thread

But now I’ve read the Indian OS has been reformulated now!!! Why can’t they quit messing with the classics?

*sigh*

Be advised that if you order the Indian Old Spice aftershave from West Coast Shaving, even though the web page shows the traditional liquid shaker bottle, what you may receive is a sealed spray bottle. It happened to me twice. I was informed that they don't know what they will get from their supplier and they don't check before sending it out to you.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thank you, Phil. I used to just get them from eBay sellers in India, but my last couple bottles were of the old Shulton recipe that scientist did his study on. From what I'm reading now, maybe I should just get it at Walgreens and call it good enough. If the Indians changed from the Shulton formula, what's the point now? A lot has changed during my B&B sabbatical. :(

Top Bottom