What's new

Vintage newbie

72775354-FA91-4134-AC54-778BF4814BA4.jpeg 1C242E0B-C320-4867-A879-B74A2546F7D3.jpeg 48DFBF05-70EC-4FC2-B985-7D38A508FFFC.jpeg 2B027772-5DE7-4E36-90B5-7A6F8C41D6E1.jpeg New to vintage razor restoration. Picked up this nice Boker but being new to all of this, I have questions. One thing I noticed after looking over the razor is that it doesn’t have a front pin. Curious why it doesn’t? I also do not feel it sets right in the scales. It feels the tang is stretching the scales at the pivot pin. (possibly due to the lack of a front pin making it a tight fit?). There doesn’t seem to be any work done to the scales. This may not be anything to worry about but I was certainly curious about it. Thanks in advance!

Razor scales don't need that front pin if it is glued, which this one probably is. I don't think that's abnormal. The tang can sometimes widen up the scales a bit to allow the blade to enter unobstructed. Tangs often taper down towards the tail, so when the razor is fully open there is less stress on the scales.

What I think I'm seeing in your razor is a wedge that isn't wedgy enough. If the front wedge pushed the scales out more you wouldn't get that awkward concave look, but rather a gentle convex bend.

Thanks. There is quite a bit of rust on the tang which could have taken up some of the taper in the tang. Once I get it cleaned up hopefully it will fit better. Thanks again

Top Bottom